Mixer Taps - failing

BillE

We have a Burstner Aviano i727 which we bought from new in 2012. Great van but ... I know this sounds petty but we have had to replace the mixer taps in both kitchen and toilet room a total of 6 times and it has just gone again now. When I say gone I mean when you turn it on it fails to switch the pump on with the obvious consequence of no water coming through. Surely this can’t be normal! What are we doing wrong. We have Motorhomed/caravaned for 40 years or so and had the occasional failure but nothing like this.
We are in Spain at the moment nr Alicante. Any clues of to what is happening and why? The name of an English speaking repairer would also be appreciated 😁. Thanks in anticipation.

Thanks for your response. I think you are correct in that it is the micro-switches but to fail at this rate surely must make them not fit for purpose. Taps themselves circa £100 plus fitting and inconvenience. Not at all sure what causes a microswitch to fail. X

We had this problem with taps on our Hymer. I was amazed at the type of switch that was fitted to the taps because they were of an open construction, which meant they were prone to oxidisation and contamination. The remedy was to clean up the contacts and spray with a RS switch lube. Did this every spring and never had any further problems.

Cheers

H

Try Cruz Caravanas in Elche (Elx) they speak English and also stock mixer taps ....

Reich taps are expensive and can have the microswitch fail. The remedy is just to fit a new microswitch, not the whole tap.

As you have had a lot of problems, try fitting Comet (Komet) taps instead. They are cheaper but just as good. I replaced the mixer tap in the Kitchen. A Reich tap from a Burstner Dealer would have meant me selling one of the Wifes Kidneys.
There is a good range here. https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/water/caravan-taps/comet-taps

My Hymer has Reich taps, and they started giving trouble after about 15 years. Basically the problem was that the pvc insulation on the little flexible wires to the microswitches has become stiff. That broke them where they met the terminals.
They flex whenever you turn the tap on or off, or adjust the temperature. So I decided that bendier wire would be better
I replaced the wires with thin, flexible silicone covered wire sold for multimeter probes. Really flexible, really cheap. I also replaced the microswitches because it was easier. The replacements are standard generic ones from China via eBay, costing well under £1 each. Simply clipped into place.
Total cost to fix two taps was under £3

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back