Mobile phones

Topmast

It seems now as if you cannot survive without a mobile, having just checked my bank account on my iPad I have got a message saying if I don’t update my account with mobile number I will no longer be able to use internet banking .I do have a mobile in the car for emergencies but probably only switch it on to charge battery every couple of months,why do all businesses assume that everyone has a mobile?

That’s the way of the world these days. My mobile is always on, hooked up to the Internet and is now one of those “don’t leave home without it” must haves. I buy things, sell things, check my bank, talk to my cousin in Australia, take photos all on the phone. I’ve embraced the technology, but I’m not one of those walking along seemingly surgically attached to it. Then for emergency use I’ve a spare phone in the MH and the car, they’re cheap as chips so why not?

I suppose in most respects we should stop calling them a mobile phone, they’re not. They are mobile computers and only one of the things they do is allow phone calls. I doubt if I make 10 minutes of calls a month, some months no calls at all. I do use it for weather, maps, translation, wild camping stops and information of all sorts. Communication is just one small part

I hate technology, can't use a computer & only type with one finger. Can't be doing with any of it, but that said my phone is a lifeline to me. Don't use it for a lot of tech stuff but id miss it if it wasn't there now.....

It seems now as if you cannot survive without a mobile, having just checked my bank account on my iPad I have got a message saying if I don’t update my account with mobile number I will no longer be able to use internet banking .I do have a mobile in the car for emergencies but probably only switch it on to charge battery every couple of months,why do all businesses assume that everyone has a mobile?

I think this will be in readiness for new security arrangements being introduced shortly.

Dave has a mobile phone in the true sense...does nothing except calls and texts! However he relies on my smartphone to do all the communication and internet stuff he wants...I would love to be able to understand technical things...take engines apart and make stuff, but that's his thing!

We don’t do online banking Malcolm is usually the one who buys things online (Amazon) and like Ruth we would love to be able to understand all the technical stuff if I get stuck I normally get either sons d/I/L’s to sort it!..haha and as for the engine bits,that used to be Malcolm’s thing!!

Doing banking etc on a standard googlised phone is total madness as they can be hacked and google spys on you,you should be using a fairphone or other open sorse phones where you can load your own operating sys like pure android or sailfish,big brother is watching you.

I think this will be in readiness for new security arrangements being introduced shortly.
I wonder how this sits with Motorhomer/WC etc. who store your card details to take automatic renewal payments? Does this mean (pragmatically) the end of such schemes because you'll need to log on and enter the 'special code' before Phil et al. can take payment?

FWIW, I asked an Aussie bank about opening an account the last time Jan and I were over there. The biggest drawback was the need to register an Aussie mobile number with them. It's a problem because my Aussie mobile account expires between visits and I need to get a new SIM (and hence a new mobile phone number) each time we go over. This is something the banks can't handle because they can only make changes to an account (including a change of mobile number) if it's verified via a text sent to the currently registered number. I mention this because I know several people who have mobile phones only for emergencies and incoming calls. Unfortunately, mobile telcos cancel your SIM if you don't make at least one chargeable call every so often (typically, six months). With bank branches becoming as rare as hen's teeth, someone with this usage pattern could effectively end up losing access to their money if the Aussie way is implemented over here...

FWIW, I asked an Aussie bank about opening an account the last time Jan and I were over there. The biggest drawback was the need to register an Aussie mobile number with them. It's a problem because my Aussie mobile account expires between visits and I need to get a new SIM (and hence a new mobile phone number) each time we go over. This is something the banks can't handle because they can only make changes to an account (including a change of mobile number) if it's verified via a text sent to the currently registered number. I mention this because I know several people who have mobile phones only for emergencies and incoming calls. Unfortunately, mobile telcos cancel your SIM if you don't make at least one chargeable call every so often (typically, six months). With bank branches becoming as rare as hen's teeth, someone with this usage pattern could effectively end up losing access to their money if the Aussie way is implemented over here...
Hi and thanks for your reply, as I spend most of my time in Portugal but retain an English bank they now insist on an English mobile number..this just makes life more difficult for me. I am sure it will not make any difference to the money laundering brigade!

I wonder how this sits with Motorhomer/WC etc. who store your card details to take automatic renewal payments? Does this mean (pragmatically) the end of such schemes because you'll need to log on and enter the 'special code' before Phil et al. can take payment?
Hi,

I would just like to make clear that we do not store any card data or any other financial information. Our payments are received via PayPal and Stripe, they are the companies that deal with card data.

I hope that this clarifies the situation.

Phil

Hi,

I would just like to make clear that we do not store any card data or any other financial information. Our payments are received via PayPal and Stripe, they are the companies that deal with card data.

I hope that this clarifies the situation.

Phil
Thanks for the clarification and I apologise if I gave the wrong impression. I just used an example I thought users here might understand to illustrate the underlying issue. Sending a unique, temporary key to users via SMS that the user is required to enter to verify each and every transaction makes 'auto renewal' impossible. Right now, Paypal, Amazon, Netflix, ISPs, the CAMC, the CCC, etc. take repeat payments from credit cards (YMMV) and I wonder how the banks will deal with this (e.g. whether this will mean the end of such facilities).

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back