More Beeping

nabsim

I waited to see if anything came up in the other thread but not joy so starting my own.

My Sprinter engine (2.7td) often doesn't like restarting when its hot, when it happens I just have to turn ignition off and try again a few times til it kicks in. Not every time but frequently when this happens and I turn ignition off I get a beeping coming from the dash area. No lights on the dash to give an indication of what the beeps relate to and I have not found anything yet on the net about it.

Anyone had this on a Sprinter that knows what it is? I cannot check anything on the van at the moment as its in storage at present but shouldn't be there long. Its a 316 engine if that makes a difference with sprint shift 6 speed box

Cant offer any suggestions regarding hot starting issue

But the intermittent beeping : Is it a warning to remind you to turn off the headlights ?

Cant offer any suggestions regarding hot starting issue

But the intermittent beeping : Is it a warning to remind you to turn off the headlights ?

I am almost certain it has happened in daylight as well as in the dark so fairly sure lights would have been off. Certainly when it fails to start first attempt I then turn everything off including heater blower as initially I thought it may be something to do with power. I can double check for future events but as I say I am fairly sure it isn't that.

I should have added that it only beeps for s certain length of time, I haven't timed it but would say between 5 and 10 seconds then stops until next failed attempt. I wondered if it was some sort of timer to stop you pulling too much from battery too soon, something to slow down repeated cranking to rest the battery in between but cant find anything about that

Do the courtesy lights work reliably?
I have a feeling the Sprinters have a "left key in ignition" beeper that is activated when key inserted, ignition off and door open. Thinking maybe door switch contacts have gone a bit intermittent maybe (hence first question)

I will check door courtesy light switches when I am next in the van, we don’t use the cab doors that much usually and tend to get in and out the habitation door. When the beeping happens we won have opened up the cab doors since it last ran if that was the thinking behind it though.

I don’t have a tow bar nor any tow bar electrics fitted. Looking at that link it mentions fog lights on but lights off in one post. I am fairly certain I wouldn’t have fog lights on as I would have noticed the warning light on the dash display as I always double check to see if it is showing a cause when it happens.

It is normally if we have stopped to let the dogs have a pee, will put box in neutral, handbrake on then turn engine off. We can get into hab area without getting out so would go into back and put leads on the dogs then go out the hab door. If it’s left an hour it usually starts straight away and it sometimes starts okay when it’s hot so not every time.

The step retracts automatically as soon as you turn the key if we haven’t retracted it manually so can rule that out as on subsequent attempts it would already be in. I have tried to follow a pattern to see if I could identify what causes it not to want to start when warm, for a time it looked like it was letting the hand brake off before the engine fired up but I have now disproved that.

I did blow a fuse on one of the 12v sockets a couple of months ago and so far I haven’t been able to find where the fuse for it is (in habitation area not original Sprinter), wondering if that could be related to when the beep started to happen now but can’t recall when it first started.

Clutching at straws : Seat belt warning ? Though that should also light up on dash
Need to be sat in the van with ignition on and off and seat belt on and off to check that, will file away for next time I am in to be sure before I comment :)

My mate cut his teeth on Merc’s he has the star machine he is just up the road from me (you bought my Cadac) give him a call Norman 07932 461836 tell him you know me chris autospark

My mate cut his teeth on Merc’s he has the star machine he is just up the road from me (you bought my Cadac) give him a call Norman 07932 461836 tell him you know me chris autospark
Cheers Chris I will keep that in mind if I need to ring, I haven’t forgotten who you are, I am okay remembering usernames normally it’s real names I forget, not a problem with yours though :)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back