MOT extension

Chebeag

I just called my garage to find out what the score was with MOT tests.
He told me that the testing station that he uses had received an email from DOT telling him that the MOT extension had been stopped.
This was three weeks ago and no mention in the press.
So if we have a bump our insurance is invalid.
I would check up just in case.
I'm booked in for tomorrow. 😭😭

He told me that the testing station that he uses had received an email from DOT telling him that the MOT extension had been stopped.
I think you are misunderstanding possibly.
Did you actually check the MOT status for your vehicle here - https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/ (wondering if you are saying a vehicle that had the extension applied has had the extended time removed? I don't think that will happen!)

If they are saying the program has been cancelled so all vehicles that were due from 1st June (around 3 weeks ago?) did not get an extension, that would be at odds with this letter from the Secretary of State for Transport who I am guessing would not have said what he did 1 working day before the 1st of June.
Grant Shapps (Transport Minister) Letter

Anyone who is using the extension do have a good look around your tyres. I had van mot’d a couple of weeks ago and two of their regulars had been pulled up, checked and fined (with points) for bad tyres.

Anyone who is using the extension do have a good look around your tyres. I had van mot’d a couple of weeks ago and two of their regulars had been pulled up, checked and fined (with points) for bad tyres.
They would have been bad before the MOT I bet :)
Too many people treat the MOT as their annual safety check. That is a very bad habit!

They would have been bad before the MOT I bet :)
Too many people treat the MOT as their annual safety check. That is a very bad habit!
Well if not illegal then they wouldn’t have been far off, of course it may be both these customers do substantial miles koff koff. The problem is as you say, many people use the mot as their check which is why I say go and have a good look. What you Dee from the outside doesn’t show cuts/bulges on the hidden sides and one edge of tread could be good with wire poking through on the other. A pothole an knock tracking out and wear a tyre very quickly

Well if not illegal then they wouldn’t have been far off, of course it may be both these customers do substantial miles koff koff. The problem is as you say, many people use the mot as their check which is why I say go and have a good look. What you Dee from the outside doesn’t show cuts/bulges on the hidden sides and one edge of tread could be good with wire poking through on the other. A pothole an knock tracking out and wear a tyre very quickly
you go to a good garage? i have it mot, and service, and they ring me,if not right. and i say fixit, they no i only go there, i rely, on there integrity,ok.pj
and my dosh. full stop.

My car MOT is due on 29th June and tax from 1st July. I got the tax reminder which made me feel a right criminal - huge print across the envelope advising me to tax it or lose it. The tirade then continued on the enclosed form. It also reminded me it needs an MOT which I knew about. Pity the Government didn't treat actual criminals with such overt hostility. Bob

you go to a good garage? i have it mot, and service, and they ring me,if not right. and i say fixit, they no i only go there, i rely, on there integrity,ok.pj
and my dosh. full stop.
Yes they are a good garage but not a dealer. I have only used them for the van whatever it needs 👍

@bobj808 have you applied to SORN or did I see that has been scrapped (I haven’t checked). If not sorn or tax they will keep on for a short time and you will need to pay tax from when it was due 👍
Edit: sorry I see you have another week to go yet 😂😂😂

One of my mots was due 26th June , had the direct debit reminder that mentioned MOT as well Went online and its been extended to 26th December , and that all happened last week . Will probably wait till September when another vehicle is due mot , and do them both at same time :)

My MOT was due 28th June - have been checking occasionally; today updated to 28th Dec. Never liked having a June date - now can pick a convenient one during next 6 months. I usually have MOT and service together; as I have had no use of the vehicle this year so far, and probably quite limited during the rest of it - can at least push these costs a little into the future!

You are responsable for any vh you take on the road never mind the mot,its you job to look after it and keep in a road worthy condition,the test cert is only valid for the day of test,i always do a walk round first thing in morning and go over at week ends,if you are stopped by police and a fault is found or after a crash then saying it was tested a while back wont go down well at all.

like jon above mine has been pushed back till late december christmas day in fact & the car to 29th october but both taxation dates 1st of august might try & manipulate them to suit either budget or convenience

Demi’s mot is in February. Not the most convenient time of year for working on vehicles outside. Plus, in normal times, it’s when I try to get away South. This year I had decided to have a second mot June, July time. Maybe this six month extension palaver will continue into next year. Save me a couple of shillings. And yes the van is kept up to standard.

Demi’s mot is in February. Not the most convenient time of year for working on vehicles outside. Plus, in normal times, it’s when I try to get away South. This year I had decided to have a second mot June, July time. Maybe this six month extension palaver will continue into next year. Save me a couple of shillings. And yes the van is kept up to standard.
That was sort of my thinking re weather in February. As I locked myself down at the beginning of Feb and had a spot off the road I decided to wait befere getting mine done. Had it done second week of June and it sailed through with 3 very minor advisories, one being the crack in the front number plate which gets mentioned each year 👍
Only downside now is I don’t tax and mot at some time so going to have to remember koff koff

If you went ahead and attended for the MOT I hope you told them they were talking a load of Barnard Castle. The information on the GOV website is still the same, all MOTs due from 30th march 2020 are extended by 6 months

Mine was extended till October but I decided to get it done yesterday as this time of year is convienent. Glad I did. The rear nesrside disc needed to be replaced and they found two loose bolts in the engine.

Mine was extended till October but I decided to get it done yesterday as this time of year is convienent. Glad I did. The rear nesrside disc needed to be replaced and they found two loose bolts in the engine.
MOT tests specifically don't allow any dismantling as part of the test, so although fixing "two loose bolts in the engine" is a good thing, I don't see how an MOT test would find them.

More to the point, how come they were loose in the first place?

A decent MOT Station/Garage will have a quick 'recce' around the vehicle before they carry out the actual test (at which time, yes indeed, no dismantling or repairs permitted).
I would guess Biggarmac uses one of those places and so a heads up on the problems was forthcoming?

(in my last MOT, my van passed without any advisories but in order to pass, one side marker light had to be replaced as well as a windscreen wiper - the garage spotted those (I didn't) before the test and sorted before they started the MOT)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back