MOTOR HOME STOLEN LAST NIGHT

TJBi

Very sorry to hear this. I had a similar experience 4 years ago. Unfortunately, the Ford Transit Mk.7 is notoriously easy to steal. In the event that it is recovered or that you buy a replacement on the Ford Transit Mk.7 chassis, I would suggest researching the various options to improve security.

The laird

Rally Organiser
Very sorry to hear this. I had a similar experience 4 years ago. Unfortunately, the Ford Transit Mk.7 is notoriously easy to steal. In the event that it is recovered or that you buy a replacement on the Ford Transit Mk.7 chassis, I would suggest researching the various options to improve security.
Second that I done mine and there’s a post on it

trevskoda

Sorry to hear,do look around local as they leave them for a day or so to see if a tracker is fitted before the take it away for striping down.

Wrighpm

Free Member
Thank you all for your advice and sympathy.
We spent last night driving around various Industrial Estates etc.
Two other Ford Transit based motorhomes have been stolen in last 24 hours in the nearby towns in Ayrshire. They are MK7's as well.
I am hoping that the insurance (LV Highway) pays out well. But I am sure evasion is the name of the game where insurance is concerned.
The same model vans for sale and same year have gone up in value !

YOLO BUS

I feel your pain. We had our transit based van stolen without keys last year. CCTV showed an SAS style operation by 5 people and took less than 3 minutes.
Google Tibbe lock pick and transit OBD theft and you will be amazed at how simple and cheap it is steal transits. The police said that a disk lock is the best deterrent.
Thankfully our insurers (safeguard) were brilliant and paid out on contents within days and the insured value of van in a couple of weeks.
I hope you get things sorted as soon as possible.

TJBi

I feel your pain. We had our transit based van stolen without keys last year. CCTV showed an SAS style operation by 5 people and took less than 3 minutes.
Google Tibbe lock pick and transit OBD theft and you will be amazed at how simple and cheap it is steal transits. The police said that a disk lock is the best deterrent.
Thankfully our insurers (safeguard) were brilliant and paid out on contents within days and the insured value of van in a couple of weeks.
I hope you get things sorted as soon as possible.
Hykee replacement cylinder (for RHD - Heosafe deadlocks for LHD), OBD port protection, alarm independent of central [un]locking are all good ideas. Other layers of protection can be added as well.

Ukwanderer

Sorry to read this. Hope you get paid out soon, although money won't make up for the loss.
What would you advise people to do now ? The reason I ask is because most security products are bought by people who have suffered loss first.

Will your next vehicle have a gps tracker fitted ? Will it have the vehicle registration number in bold letters on the roof ? Will it have additional security like a disclock ?

Topmast

It must be heartbreaking to have your pride and joy stolen,I really feel for you just hope you find it before any damage occurs.I know it doesn’t help but we would be locked up for what we would like to do to the thieves.

GWAYGWAY

I rather feel that yours is now a base for a pickup body, just like the new one that was nicked from just behind where I live. The body was found hacked off in a yard in Essex.

alwaysared

So sorry to hear about your sad news, I hope the swines get run over next time they cross the road.
The problem with Transits is that not are they only easy to steal but there's a big demand for the parts and most thieves see motorhomes as being low mileage and well looked after, therefore making them a prime target :(

Regards,
Del

Wrighpm

Free Member
Sorry to read this. Hope you get paid out soon, although money won't make up for the loss.
What would you advise people to do now ? The reason I ask is because most security products are bought by people who have suffered loss first.

Will your next vehicle have a gps tracker fitted ? Will it have the vehicle registration number in bold letters on the roof ? Will it have additional security like a disclock ?
It is a very good question. We had deadlocks on all 3 doors. Seems that they came through the roof via a big skylight. They seem to start it and drive off. They were working on it for 15 minutes. But to answer question I am thinking....deadlocks, tracker, alarm and a hidden heavy duty switch in +ve battery lead. I might connect alarm to leisure batteries and use ultrasonic movement sensors. If fitting battery cut off I would put a bypass wire with 15A inline fuse to allow normal charging via lookup. The fuse would blow if they tried to start it and had not turned on the main battery cut off switch.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:334)

mr brown, Haaamster, jeffmossy, Carrotts, rayc, Chris356, 47643, Exwindsurfer, saxonborg, Wully, Nightman, TJBi, s4x4c, The laird, HurricaneSmith, V1nny, Martingrant, Chip, TeamRienza, helen262, Rockburner, Campervanannie, RONWOOD, ton27, LANDS43, grath, jagmanx, TissyD, wildebus, Linda, Okta, rab126, Molly 3, Clunegapyears, Edward B, tonybvi, Reiverlad, andyjanet, 2cv, Steveandjulie, Veloman, Topmast, Jeanette, Kenj, Trek, MOJO, FULL TIMER, Gixer, bobemmo29, trixie88, Bouydog, Edina, MJVW, Telstar, GWAYGWAY, Winks, Kennyb, Cocky, highlandron, alwaysared, John Gibb, Trotter, Tezza33, IJenk52, sunrisemac, woodhouse boy, tompa, Welshcakelady, Tribute11, Allen, Biggarmac, Minisorella, helmit, Geraldine, Silver sprinter, Greengrass, trevskoda, Pawneepilot, yorkslass, GreggBear, StreetSleeper, Pauljenny, Dawleymon, Obanboy666, pj palance, clarkpeacock, BOTCANU, Phase3begins, SimonM, campervanfan, St3v3, forthpilot, tugboat, rugbyken, wesaaron, GeoffL, campervan, tapfitter, Paulmold, EJB, debs, toasty, Alf, pagey, britcoms, Mobilvetta, Jenrai, Val54, Ian1950, saxonrosie, Undertaker, Beemer, oppy, Cjshan, Bri, Mick Jordan, Yeoblade, Dulvil, Plumber-Jim, JFD, delphin, top0cat, CardMaker, Vinnythehat, Skyeline, YOLO BUS, David0412, Full Member, snapster, Chipvan, Lee, profiterole, PeteS, Old Man Down, charlie356, seadogjon, pj650, Forrory, wints, terry ward, eurajohn, Ardachaidh, isnbill, rustydog, The Tel Truck, Slider, timsdomain, Springer18, Kenno, wingedone, cowanhouse, stewpot, Barry n Jackie, nodrog, Doobray, MiaC3000, Bigshug, Jimbohorlicks, johndoris, Crystalight, chrsrwlns, martha, ironduck, jeffscarborough, PIRRH, kultabob, carmel thornton, Dennismileo, Dave01249, slacky58, Smeemix, Markd, Wrp, alun100, happybob, Ukwanderer, ian and cath, Liberty hall, abmnw, jim and pat dalton, Neodafyd, Papillon, Vanterrier, jockgee, nickvanbitz, MEDUCK, baden87, THE COLLIES, Tonyhezz, maingate, Kyran, Nidge, PhatDad, nimmo777, Jillyhug, Burgo, nabsim, andromeda, Hamishhymer, bobj808, Stellamarie, royh28, Rob&Pat, Bluedi, mjhall37, Forcesixwindy, bartman, Mikael63, Mojays, Lord Lucan, Chas, SachaF, motoroamer, Stonedaddy, Chris Evans001, Dotty, gerrevelyn, Budgie, cariad, time4t, Oldfella, Rover, Chasn, Misterbun, paulrichardson, Phantom, Larrythelamb, vanda, guerdeval, cornish hymer, Roger Haworth, bullfist, dij260, dpsuk999, Rapido9, Lorraine, MrKenny, billtreas@sky.com, roadromer, Mark B, GMJ, bikerman 1, Trublu33, FaribaRob, Davety, lumberjack, Pontius, RSD7a, Rec, Jillygumbo, Wissel, Penhalvean wanderer, SquirrellCook, Stevea, davidb, dalspa, Barge1914, ironman, ken sowerby, Caz, Pilsleyavondale, Grouchy, Munchkins, Nomad, MJK, Carrerasax, Homenaway, Forresbroons, flying kipper, runnach, Joe express, silverweed, toystory, yorkieowl, 76zedfour, RomaRose, Flostravels, bilbo, PopesOnTour, Pudsey Bear, mechanised, beedubbleyoo, maw123, Norfolk Jim, Wildman, Elfish, Blabley, Scomfort, taylo482001, yogibear, Mmiles2017, Raymondo, disco duck, Master, Dunfillin, Markymark, Toyotaman, painter01, CliveW, Yolo, Avonsmith, Di1234, CathyP, 1977paul, simbabenji, hairydog, starcott, Petethetug, samnsandy, DaveP, andrew h smith, Springer2, Jack Alfie, The milkman, christine, Evee, timatabsa, chas142, Oorandra, paulhelenwilko, Tommyg, walpeter, greenspeace, wanderlust, 1014Rk, Lizzyp1962, Greenid, Steveboy, R J H, dochiley, Duetto2001, bjh, Bedonwheels, Rimor,