MOTOR HOME STOLEN LAST NIGHT

Wrighpm

Free Member
So sorry to hear about your sad news, I hope the swines get run over next time they cross the road.
The problem with Transits is that not are they only easy to steal but there's a big demand for the parts and most thieves see motorhomes as being low mileage and well looked after, therefore making them a prime target :(

Regards,
Del
Yes I would imagine they have binned our treasured nicnaks and sold the aluminium to scrappy, engine and gearbox to white van men etc....tragic ..thanks for interest

Wrighpm

Free Member
I feel your pain. We had our transit based van stolen without keys last year. CCTV showed an SAS style operation by 5 people and took less than 3 minutes.
Google Tibbe lock pick and transit OBD theft and you will be amazed at how simple and cheap it is steal transits. The police said that a disk lock is the best deterrent.
Thankfully our insurers (safeguard) were brilliant and paid out on contents within days and the insured value of van in a couple of weeks.
I hope you get things sorted as soon as possible.
Thank you.

Ukwanderer

It is a very good question. We had deadlocks on all 3 doors. Seems that they came through the roof via a big skylight. They seem to start it and drive off. They were working on it for 15 minutes. But to answer question I am thinking....deadlocks, tracker, alarm and a hidden heavy duty switch in +ve battery lead. I might connect alarm to leisure batteries and use ultrasonic movement sensors. If fitting battery cut off I would put a bypass wire with 15A inline fuse to allow normal charging via lookup. The fuse would blow if they tried to start it and had not turned on the main battery cut off switch.
Sad that all this is needed to protect what you have earnt and paid for.

Ukwanderer

You don't want it back. It will never feel the same.
Buy different next time. Put it behind you and learn from it.
Easy to say when i'm sitting here, but it will never be your pride and joy again.

Hope you make great memories in your next home.

Flostravels

So sorry to hear. Ours was broken into in Bologna a few years ago. Never feels quite right after...

As a Mk7 Transit owner, anyone know if the Thatcham immobiliser we have will stop them?

Pudsey Bear

Sorry to hear of your loss, the Mk 7 is a good van otherwise, but I think all Fords are easy to steal, they should get locked up for the way they design security.

Wildman

heart breaking will keep an eye out for it on our campsite
I hope you get it back soon

TJBi

So sorry to hear. Ours was broken into in Bologna a few years ago. Never feels quite right after...

As a Mk7 Transit owner, anyone know if the Thatcham immobiliser we have will stop them?
If you mean the factory-fitted immobiliser, the answer is an emphatic "No".
As a minimum, replace Tibbe lock cylinder with Hykee cylinder (if RHD - they don't do one for LHD, so for LHD you need deadlocks on both cab doors) and fit a locking steel box around the OBD port (or move the OBD port to an entirely different location where it is not easy to find and/or fit a well-concealed kill switch). Additional measures include ensuring that your alarm is not deactivated by unlocking the cab door with a key, using a Disklok, fitting an aftermarket immobiliser...

nickvanbitz

Sadly no, there isn't and to make matters worse, the Sevel Group (Peugeot/Citroen/Fiat) are not exempt from this either as there is a kit made in Europe for 900 Euros, which will pick the locks and an OBD Plug-in (included in the kit) will overwrite your existing keys with a shut down, allowing the vehicle to be driven away in less than 2 mins tops. If the vehicle happens to have a tracker and it is recovered, your existing keys will not disarm the immobiliser, effectively locking them out.
Aftermarket security must be independent to the factory's central locking keys and not be connected via the OBD (as some aftermarket alarms are). Additional immobilisation (mechanical/electronic/app based etc) will certainly slow them down/stop them if installed correctly.

To the original OP, sorry to read of the theft of your M/H and I wish you all the best in recovering your loss.

Last edited:

El radge

Thank you all for your advice and sympathy.
We spent last night driving around various Industrial Estates etc.
Two other Ford Transit based motorhomes have been stolen in last 24 hours in the nearby towns in Ayrshire. They are MK7's as well.
I am hoping that the insurance (LV Highway) pays out well. But I am sure evasion is the name of the game where insurance is concerned.
The same model vans for sale and same year have gone up in value !
Recently had my van stolen . Insurance paid up with no argument [underclaimed?] . Got , in my opinion , full value + £2700 for personal [pertinent to van] belongings . Also claimed house insurance for clothes etc , etc , total of £2950 . Bit of arguing but they then paid me £3700 !
I think the older the van the more contentious the valuation ? Stick to your guns

alwaysared

LV Highway insurance through Adrian Flux came up trumps....or at least a bit better than I was expecting. Shopping for motorhome to replace our stolen one
I hope you find something to replace it soon. I've been looking myself and have done a lot of research (also asked lots of questions on here and WC) although the Transit needs lots of extra security it does have a lot of positives, so don't be put off.buying another one.

Regards,
Del