Motorcycle on a motorhome

Hymer Snobs

Okay, how many of you lovely people carry a scooter? Has to be a scooter as SWMBO has Parkinson's and if she stood on one leg to get her leg over she'd fall in the mud. Funny as that would be I've had to go for a scooter. What rack? What Scooter? What pros/cons? Any suggestions falling short of part-exing the missus for a Triumph will be welcome...although that Rocket looks nice!! 🤔😁👍

Well we tried a 125 motorbike on a fixed platform. Lost payload and also no power, 2 up so sold both of then.
We then up grade to 350cc scooter loads of power ..but at 180kg wet platform no good.
So we opted for a second hand easy lifter .
And I can only say brilliant I've change bearings once ..and picked up spare hub and 2 tyres on wheels just in case...

Barry might be yer man for this, he has mild disabilities, and has had 3 or more scooters.

Well we tried a 125 motorbike on a fixed platform. Lost payload and also no power, 2 up so sold both of then.
We then up grade to 350cc scooter loads of power ..but at 180kg wet platform no good.
So we opted for a second hand easy lifter .
And I can only say brilliant I've change bearings once ..and picked up spare hub and 2 tyres on wheels just in case...
Thanks Mr & Mrs T, I was wondering if any one would be use an EasyLift which I've been considering myself. From your description I assume yours is the version with the castor wheels; have you taken it abroad? Are there any insurance issues? Is it considered a trailer or a rack that happens to have wheels? Sorry to bombard you

Thanks Mr & Mrs T, I was wondering if any one would be use an EasyLift which I've been considering myself. From your description I assume yours is the version with the castor wheels; have you taken it abroad? Are there any insurance issues? Is it considered a trailer or a rack that happens to have wheels? Sorry to bombard you
Yes it is wheels that rotate.
Abroad not yet ..but seen many in eu.
Insurance no issue with mine , it's a fixed trailer ..

Spares. If a hub or bearing fail or a puncture.
Belt bracers..
Lots people knock then but I've done about 15k with mine no problems. I check bearing play every time use it and grease regularly.

I have a Honda Silver wing scooter, also few other toys so I choose the bike trailer option. I load and unload single handed as my missus is blind.
Its easy to pull as long as you have decent reverse camera to help with tight reversing.
But the best bit is at traffic lights when people look and think its only a scooter ....whooosh I'm gone 600cc. Carries both of us and has a huge under seat storage as well as top box, to keep us supplied with beers and food.
I'm 4000 miles into this trip and getting 28 to 30s fuel consumption.
I have previously had BMW S1000 as well as Honda Pan European St1100 on it for a lad and dad trip to Ardeche and Napoleon routes holiday...

I have a Honda Silver wing scooter, also few other toys so I choose the bike trailer option. I load and unload single handed as my missus is blind.
Its easy to pull as long as you have decent reverse camera to help with tight reversing.
But the best bit is at traffic lights when people look and think its only a scooter ....whooosh I'm gone 600cc. Carries both of us and has a huge under seat storage as well as top box, to keep us supplied with beers and food.
I'm 4000 miles into this trip and getting 28 to 30s fuel consumption.
I have previously had BMW S1000 as well as Honda Pan European St1100 on it for a lad and dad trip to Ardeche and Napoleon routes holiday...
Thanks Dave, the Silverwing is definitely on my short list, if I go for a full trailer it will be top of my short list but going to Morocco next year and not sure if I want to tug a trailer round there

+ 1 for the Hydra-Trail, Like Mr Tupcox I've had no issues with mine, yes there are things that could be better but isn't that the same with everything we buy? Some people opt to use a ramp with it but my health issues makes that option a little precarious so I've stuck with the jack for now and the only problem I get is if the ground is sloping but on flat(ish) ground it works fine. I think a full bike trailer is probably the best overall option (enclosed even better) but like you said towing it around (and reversing) can be a pain the bottom.

Regards,
Del

I towed mine around Scotland on single track roads etc and to be honest reversing with a camera was not really a problem and with a bit of forward thinking I hardly had to reverse at all.

I wasn't sure to be honest, not had me coffee injection yet :D :D

+ 1 for the Hydra-Trail, Like Mr Tupcox I've had no issues with mine, yes there are things that could be better but isn't that the same with everything we buy? Some people opt to use a ramp with it but my health issues makes that option a little precarious so I've stuck with the jack for now and the only problem I get is if the ground is sloping but on flat(ish) ground it works fine. I think a full bike trailer is probably the best overall option (enclosed even better) but like you said towing it around (and reversing) can be a pain the bottom.

Regards,
Del
Thanks Del, nice to have my thoughts reiterated and confirmed. I think I'm down to whether I get a sub 200kg scooter and go for an EasyLift without wheels or go for the scooter I want and go for the HydraLift

I towed mine around Scotland on single track roads etc and to be honest reversing with a camera was not really a problem and with a bit of forward thinking I hardly had to reverse at all.
I don't have a problem reversing trailers it's more the extra length that it adds to the van which can make it awkward for wild camping and being full time we do a lot of wild camping

I don't have a problem reversing trailers it's more the extra length that it adds to the van which can make it awkward for wild camping and being full time we do a lot of wild camping
I am thinking of getting a smallish box trailer then getting an MP3 type scooter/trike. All depends if I decide to downplayed the van or not

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back