Motorhome cab battery flat

The Tricky Vs

Hi,

I've just tried to start my motorhome and the battery is flat - I should have started it more regularly!

Can anyone recommend a portable charging pack. Would like to take this away with us in the future just incase something like this happens when on our adventures.

Motorhome is on a Peugeot Boxer 2.2L chassis.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

I Have the same Chassis as you , I bought the CTEK MXS10 Charger, 8 Step Charging, Temp Sensor can be left on charge no risk of over charging Reconditioning program a really smart charger . Chris.

Can anyone recommend a portable charging pack.
I'd say no, I don't recommend one. They are useful to start a dead car, but pretty pointless for most motorhomes. Here's why:

1. Most battery packs won't start a big diesel engine. You might boost the starter battery enough to get it to go, bit probably not if it is dead.

2. You already have your habitation battery. Connect the positive terminal of that to the positive vehicle battery. Job done.

3. After the first newness has worn off, your starter pack will be flat anyway. You'll forget to charge it.

4. They don't last very long. Few are any use after two years.

5. Getting the engine running is not the fix. Once your starter battery has gone flat, it is on its way out. Two or three times and it's scrap.

Find why your battery went flat, and fix that problem. Then buy a new battery.

If you have solar then a votronic mppt regulator will charge all bats, 1 amp to the starter battery, or have a switch and heavy battery cable through a 200ah relay, I have this for emergencies on my van.

No problems with surge protection if you're jumping from your habitation batteries: it's all coming from the same alternator.

We are well into the Winter now and even with solar it is best to check your battery voltages from time to time and plug into the mains for a while to boost all the batteries. The really cold spell we had recently is not good for any battery in a vehicle not being used regularly. Lesson learned for you, buy a new battery and keep it charged.

Reactions: Wrp
I'd say no, I don't recommend one. They are useful to start a dead car, but pretty pointless for most motorhomes. Here's why:

1. Most battery packs won't start a big diesel engine. You might boost the starter battery enough to get it to go, bit probably not if it is dead.

2. You already have your habitation battery. Connect the positive terminal of that to the positive vehicle battery. Job done.

3. After the first newness has worn off, your starter pack will be flat anyway. You'll forget to charge it.

4. They don't last very long. Few are any use after two years.

5. Getting the engine running is not the fix. Once your starter battery has gone flat, it is on its way out. Two or three times and it's scrap.

Find why your battery went flat, and fix that problem. Then buy a new battery.
Be careful if you connect hab battery as described above the neg hab wiring may not be heavy enough .

You could all save yourself a lot of time, trouble and most especially cash if you invested in a decent battery charger that allows for deep cycle, intelligent recycle recharging. Honestly they can very significantly increase your batteries performance and life. CTEK are one such make.

And just starting the engine isn't a good idea, they need to be properly warmed up by going for a good run, I do at least 30 miles once a month, good for the rest of the van too.

The snapon battery jump pack does work well, and I have used to start numerous big diesel engine.
But it’s a short term fix, lead acid batteries are critically damaged by high discharge so you really do need to consider a new battery.

And just starting the engine isn't a good idea, they need to be properly warmed up by going for a good run, I do at least 30 miles once a month, good for the rest of the van too.

The only way I could do that would be if I decided to break the law!!! My van spends most of its life parked up at home on SORN, however I do move 'Millie' backwards and forwards so as to ensure the tyres don't get flat spotted.

If you get the make quoted above-ctek, it can be used as a power supply, so you could leave permanently connected….

The only way I could do that would be if I decided to break the law!!! My van spends most of its life parked up at home on SORN, however I do move 'Millie' backwards and forwards so as to ensure the tyres don't get flat spotted.
Short starts wrecks engines, most wear is in the first 2 mins of doing so, and no oil is getting plash feed to gearbox bearings or diff unit.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back