Motorhome Cooker Hood - worth it?

wildebus

I know some motorhomes have actual Extractor fans as cooker hoods above the stove, but it is also possible to buy Cooker Hoods as well.
A few years ago I bought this one after seeing one fitted at a show and thinking "what a great idea!" ... The Dometic CK-2000 12V Recirculating Cooker Hood:
IMG_20220511_090953_4.jpg

Question 1: Does anyone have one of these? and if so, do they use it? like it? waste of time? useless?

I bought this for an earlier self-conversion, but because I never got round to fitting the top cupboards, I never got round to fitting the hood (it fixed to the bottom of a top cupboard, you see).
I have thought about fitting this to the Motorhome but would need to do some adaption (fairly minor, but possibly irreversable?)
This is the Kitchen:
IMG_20220511_090853_4.jpg

The hood would of course go under the top end cupboard - kind of so ....
IMG_20220511_090919_5.jpg
But there is a little trim piece under the cupboard that would need removing to allow it to go flush against the cupboard bottom (and it would need to go flush so it would be higher and the cooker lid would clear the hood). That trim piece once removed would not go back in one piece (issue one if I found I changed my mind).

Also, with the Hood fitted, the drop down down for the lower section would no longer open (as shown below). So I would have to remove that door and leave an open shelf. That in itself is not a major thing - it is trimmed neatly enough, but it may look a little odd with all the others having doors (I know some models of Autotrails actually have these all as open shelves anyway).
IMG_20220511_091038_9.jpg

So my overall question I guess is 'Is it worth fitting this?' There is a roof mounted fan within the kitchen area that can be set to extract air - is that sufficient really anyway and this cooker hood is just a pointless addition in that case?
It is just I have had it stored away for literally years and it is about time I either fitted it, or it found a new home - no point it keeping it forever unused!

Our van has that exact hood. When used (quite rarely actually) it seems to work well. I changed the original halogen bulbs for LEDs and these still give a very good light but use almost no electricity.

Our van has that exact hood. When used (quite rarely actually) it seems to work well. I changed the original halogen bulbs for LEDs and these still give a very good light but use almost no electricity.
Given your experience, if you got a different van, would you bother to buy one to fit? (or get another if it broke?)

Last three vans have not had one, not really thought about it and didn't use them when we did have them, I use the one at home when I cook, but Liz doesn't.

I think the lights would be more useful, I did open one up in an early van but it basically had a PC fan in it which had melted, now if it's going to be a bit smokey there is usually a roof vent which probably does a better job, we did have a van or two with a 3 speed, 2-way Omnivent fan and that did work well.

Recently sold Pilote had one and I rarely used the extractor fan but have to say the lights were useful.

Think I only ever used the lights on the hoods we have had in houses. Usually a window near the kitchen in a van and skylight not so far off. If I was wanting any kind of extraction in a van I think I would be looking at going MaxFan. Never had one and always thought they may interfere with solar but they get rave reviews. You wouldn’t need to change and furniture fittings either Dave

The Betty build doesn't have any opening windows, so I think for that it's a must have.
Any form of grease extraction from the air must be a good thing if you have soft furnishings.
Hard surfaces are easier to wipe down. (degrease)

Saying that, how many can cook or even do cook in their vans?

Last edited:
Think I only ever used the lights on the hoods we have had in houses. Usually a window near the kitchen in a van and skylight not so far off. If I was wanting any kind of extraction in a van I think I would be looking at going MaxFan. Never had one and always thought they may interfere with solar but they get rave reviews. You wouldn’t need to change and furniture fittings either Dave
Maxxair fans are fab! I would have fitted one but couldn't as ... It would have messed with my solar install :(

Do they do one that duct to outside would love one in our van .
My old kontiki had one great as we cook every evening like at home.

Do they do one that duct to outside would love one in our van .
My old kontiki had one great as we cook every evening like at home.
The one I have in the photo is recirculating only. Before I bought my Autotrail Cheyenne, I was looking at a Autotrail Mohican (same layout, just every section a little longer) and that had a built-in cooker extractor which was a great feature I thought. Retro-Fitting a proper extracting unit could be fun with the holes in the walls and vent covers. Could be scary to fit!

From the comments and my own amount of cooking, I am tending towards the "nice, but won't be fitting" as if the main use for some is the lighting, I could just add some undercounting lighting if need be (I do have one already which seems pretty good), so it could well be for sale ;)

The one I have in the photo is recirculating only. Before I bought my Autotrail Cheyenne, I was looking at a Autotrail Mohican (same layout, just every section a little longer) and that had a built-in cooker extractor which was a great feature I thought. Retro-Fitting a proper extracting unit could be fun with the holes in the walls and vent covers. Could be scary to fit!

From the comments and my own amount of cooking, I am tending towards the "nice, but won't be fitting" as if the main use for some is the lighting, I could just add some undercounting lighting if need be (I do have one already which seems pretty good), so it could well be for sale ;)
Being kitchen bathroom fitters I have no problems cutting in units or side van.

Measure twice cut once.

hi guys my first reply .
we had one in our autotrail 2004 & never used it my good lady precooked bacon or sausage before setting off on our travels then put it under the grill not much smell . plus we use an electric frying pan to cook outside best bit of kit we have bought for the m/h for cooking curries or what ever & we use it with our inverterhttps://www.lakeland.co.uk/14356/prestige-multicooker

hi guys my first reply .
we had one in our autotrail 2004 & never used it my good lady precooked bacon or sausage before setting off on our travels then put it under the grill not much smell . plus we use an electric frying pan to cook outside best bit of kit we have bought for the m/h for cooking curries or what ever & we use it with our inverterhttps://www.lakeland.co.uk/14356/prestige-multicooker
@cheyenne have you tried baking bread in the multi-cooker?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back