Motorhome over night stays northern France, Spain and Portugal

Zabardast

Free Member

Hello All,

The wife, dog and I will be travelling by motorhome in early August from St Malo all along the French, Spanish and Portuguese northern coastal route until Porto. Have any of you travelled that route before, if so, which places along that coastal route are worth visiting and is it a good idea to book ahead to sites to get a pitch for the motorhome or can you stop where you find a suitable area and stay overnight?

You could try to book ahead, if you only want campsites.. At premium prices and full of families, enjoying themselves, and kids.
You could try wild camping, if all else fails.
You won't meet any caravan tuggers .
The French are pretty tolerant, if you park discretely.
Avoid motorway services, for overnights.
Anywhere close to borders is risky.
You might have trouble finding those remote, empty paradise beaches..
Most of the motorhomers are data savvy and use " park4night", or similar sites. If you come inland, even just to overnight, you'll find plenty of aires. Try and get on one before 4pm, while the other motorhomers are out and about.
They all seem to roost about 5.30.

Have fun and adventures

Expect early August to be busy as said, but there should be no issue with finding aires a short distance inland from the coast. Will you be using motorway where available or the D137 (or other main roads in a few places) as far as Bordeaux? How far are you planning on driving each day?

Hello All,

The wife, dog and I will be travelling by motorhome in early August from St Malo all along the French, Spanish and Portuguese northern coastal route until Porto. Have any of you travelled that route before, if so, which places along that coastal route are worth visiting and is it a good idea to book ahead to sites to get a pitch for the motorhome or can you stop where you find a suitable area and stay overnight?
Hi. I stopped on 4 decent Aires in France in March (not in order): Mansle, Cap Breton (near beach). Mansle is in the village and quiet with good butchers. Also stopped in Angers on the aire in the town. Gated area; and Falaise which is on edge of lovely small town (amazing bakery, cakes yum). All excellent over nighters. All these are in park4night. In Mansle my sat nav took me down narrow road just before bridge. Ha, go on a bit further and much easier.

Hello All,

Forgot to say, Cap Breton has electric with honesty box.

Expect early August to be busy as said, but there should be no issue with finding aires a short distance inland from the coast. Will you be using motorway where available or the D137 (or other main roads in a few places) as far as Bordeaux? How far are you planning on driving each da
No fixed plans on how far to travel each day, if an area looks interesting we’ll stay a day or possibly two. We are planning on meeting friends in San Sebastián for a couple of days so if you know of a good place to overnight for a two or three days there it would be good to know.

I have stayed at "Amezketa Bidea, 905, 20018 Donostia, Gipuzkoa, Spain" a couple of times because it's an easy walk (or cycle ride) to the promenade along the sea front. It can be rather full at times.

The Spanish and French summer holidays will be in full swing. It's going to be very very busy along the coast. Have fun. Don't be tempted to book anything until you arrive and check it out. We usually start looking for an Aire for the night about 3pm. We have a Plan A, B and sometimes C. Inland will be better and you only have to travel about 10 miles to find some nice Aires.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back