Motorhome Sites next to a beach with Dog walking

Redpara54

Free Member

Hi all I suppose this is a bit to early to ask, but we're looking for recommendations for sites in the South where we are close to a beach with good dog walks (on the beach if possible) we have a 7.7 metre motorhome and tow a Toyota iQ, so we like to walk where possible but take the car in case we have to walk to far. We have used sites in Devon & Cornwall and on the South coast. What we would like is a site of good standard which has premier pitches i.e. water elec. and drainage to the pitch, with good amenities on site ( A Bar Restaurant is always a +) so if you use these kind of sites then a recommendation would be nice, bearing in mind there usually booked well even before the end of the year, so we would like to get in early before good sites are booked up ? Thanks in anticipation

Southwold camp site has some pitches as you describe and is next to the beach. You can walk to Dunwich on the beach and a few good off road walks around there

Do you belong to either
C&CC
or
CAMC
The C&CC have a search facility where you can tick on (or off) eg dog walking

Yes I'me a member of the Caravan & Motorhome Club but there's not one suitable I can find most are not on the beach on the south coast or Devon & Cornwall area's ?

We faced this dilemma earlier this year. We have a dog who loves the beach but finding campsites down south, close to dog friendly beaches, proved very difficult. We decided to use C & MH sites both CLs and club sites and took our car with us to get to the beach. Weymouth beach has a section which is dog friendly.

Last edited:
Culzean C&cc site has excellent dog walk and access to beautiful shore. Ayrshire Scotland. Also Redgates touring site Maidens Ayrshire. Sorry not in South but very worth the trip

Southwold camp site has some pitches as you describe and is next to the beach. You can walk to Dunwich on the beach and a few good off road walks around there
Dogs are banned from the main beach in Southwold from April 1 to September 30, in a signposted area in between the northern end of the beach huts and Gun Hill Cafe. However, dogs are allowed at Denes Beachoff Ferry Road, which is just to the north of the main Southwold beach

Culzean C&cc site has excellent dog walk and access to beautiful shore. Ayrshire Scotland. Also Redgates touring site Maidens Ayrshire. Sorry not in South but very worth the trip
I’ll agree with you about Redgates and would say that’s definitely a site to visit we often go there and the beach is brilliant for dogs

Dogs are banned from the main beach in Southwold from April 1 to September 30, in a signposted area in between the northern end of the beach huts and Gun Hill Cafe. However, dogs are allowed at Denes Beachoff Ferry Road, which is just to the north of the main Southwold beach
Yes you are right no dogs at southwold beach but as I said going the other way to Dunwich there is 5 miles of unrestricted beach. Also you can find unrestricted beaches in the Swanage area either west around the coast there such as Chapmans Pool and Tyneham

Several campsites around Halesworth which is about fifteen minutes drive to Dunwich beach which has a huge, free ( donation) carpark. Can park there all day but not overnight. Could wildcamp on the Dunwich Forest road, several spots ok for a couple of days.
Reculver country park, Herne Bay, has eight motorhome parking bays and is right next to a dog friendly stone beach and long walks on the promenade. Haven't been recently but read that there is water and one EHU. No clubhouse etc but great, dog friendly pub & a cafe.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back