Motorhome skirting

Col49

I have a Ford Tribute T720 motorhome; and even the most careful driver can experience slight knocks. As most motorhomers will know; the plastic skirting around the base of motorhome is very fragile and even the slightest knock can crack it. Obviously one can tape it up; but there might come a point when it needs to be repaired. My question; it can be quite expensive to have work done by the manufacturer or dealer; so is there a list of smaller independent repairers who might do it cheaper? One might need to replace the plastic skirting; but often labour charges can cost more than the actual parts. Anyone know of a small auto engineer in East Yorkshire who might do a professional job; but at a cheaper price?

The trouble is with these skirts and associated body trims used by the caravan and motorhome industry is that the materials they use are of such a low rent quality, unlike for instance, the plastic front and rear panels of cars.

I have repaired cracked trims on both caravans and motorhomes, but it is normally only possible if you can gain access to the reverse side of the panels. If you can, then thoroughly clean (and I mean thoroughly) the underside so that it is squeeeeky clean, then find yourself some pliable material that is as close to the specification as the material you will be wanting to bond it to.
Then carefully trim the piece of plastic to a size that is approx 25 to 50mm wide by the length of the crack and then by using a hand held hot air gun, gently heat and bend this piece to approximately the same shape as the panel you are repairing.

When you have achieved a decent shape match, using something like Stixall (you can buy it at any Screwfix or Toolstation), apply an all over thick dollop of the magical stuff onto your patch and then press it gently into place onto the reverse side. Don't push it on too hard as its best strength is achieved when approx. 2mm thick.

Stixall will grab almost immediately and then will fully cure within 24 hours.

If you are very careful doing a repair like this you should be able to achieve a finish which to the passing eye is almost impossible to see.

Good luck

I have a Ford Tribute T720 motorhome; and even the most careful driver can experience slight knocks. As most motorhomers will know; the plastic skirting around the base of motorhome is very fragile and even the slightest knock can crack it. Obviously one can tape it up; but there might come a point when it needs to be repaired. My question; it can be quite expensive to have work done by the manufacturer or dealer; so is there a list of smaller independent repairers who might do it cheaper? One might need to replace the plastic skirting; but often labour charges can cost more than the actual parts. Anyone know of a small auto engineer in East Yorkshire who might do a professional job; but at a cheaper price?

Hi Col49. I've had a rear bumper and a sink made by a company on Canvey Island, Essex. I originally posted a report on their work on WC which prompted others to try them. As far as I'm aware, everyone has been happy with their work, prices and service.
My original post can be found at:

https://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forum...ment-bumpers-body-panels.html?highlight=anton

and the latest 'satisfied customer' report at:

https://motorhomer.com/threads/oops-new-year-bash-aw-marine.38517/

I hope this helps.

Colin ???

hi this may sound a bit strange but try a motorcycle repairers they are always fixing cracked fairings on bikes .. i usually use fibre glass matting on the rear of a crack and when dry scrape out the front of the crack apply some flexible filler rub doun and touch the paint in

Another member singing the praises of Anton on Canvey Island ha made me a complete new side skirt and repaired my rear bumper and the price was great too.

Hi col49
Anton is amazing as I said in my new year bash post, janet and I travel up and down the country and we drove from Cardiff to canvey island for our repairs, the quality of work means I would not hesitate to do this again

I found a crack in the rear valance and fibreglassed a repair accessing it from the insides. I scuffed up the area to glass over, and then simply mixed the resin according to the instructions and slapped it all on. It worked! Easily. I haven’t touched fibreglass and resin since school, so if I can anyone can.

Attachments

• 32A77EE1-06C7-4C1E-A10A-B05BDB67E496.jpeg
    32A77EE1-06C7-4C1E-A10A-B05BDB67E496.jpeg
    100.6 KB · Views: 4
  • E8D9A91C-5EE4-485E-AF44-DCF3F68A9473.jpeg
    E8D9A91C-5EE4-485E-AF44-DCF3F68A9473.jpeg
    253 KB · Views: 4
  • B943AAE6-E006-4EDC-8C29-D5FC17CE25A2.jpeg
    B943AAE6-E006-4EDC-8C29-D5FC17CE25A2.jpeg
    237.5 KB · Views: 4
  • BD9F8DCF-6304-4C2A-9D66-6ADFD72C18FC.jpeg
    BD9F8DCF-6304-4C2A-9D66-6ADFD72C18FC.jpeg
    153.5 KB · Views: 4
A few years ago I hit a wild boar in France, it caused a bit of damage to the bumper on the O/S but I retrieved all the bits so when we returned home I was able to rebuild it and get the shape back, rebuilt with fibre glass matting and flexible filler on the outside, I am ex trade so it was easy for me, I still have all the equipment but because I have been out of it for some time I asked for advice on modern paints from Trevskoda, his advice was good and I resprayed it with water based Vauxhall Technical Grey
IMG_20160703_132856.jpgIMG_20171027_124735[1].jpg
very pleased with it but our van is now 17 years old, if it had been nearly new I would have probably done the same but I do have experience, a month ago we hit a deer in Germany, this time unable to pick up any bits of the bumper so it is more difficult and I am working outside at the wrong time of year so decided for the first time to let someone else repair it
DSC01260.JPG
After seeing the work Anton has done I chose them and he couldn't have been more helpful, if you don't have the experience yourself take it to the experts

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back