Motorhome Window Security

paulhelenwilko

I have been thinking about securing the motorhome windows. I have always thought this to be the most vulnerable part of the motorhome.

We can deadlock doors, put additional locks on garages and hatches, but the choices of physical security on windows is very limited, except a bad tempered and hungry Rottweiler.

There are these ‘catch covers ‘ which overcome the weakness of sliding the catch open . They recommend fitting these to all horizontal catches at about £8 per catch.
1578098632307.png

The others I like the look of, but are expensive at about 90Eu per window, see the you tube video :

These have an aluminium section glued or screwed to the bottom edge of the Perspex window and then a section that hooks over the motorhome wall. Looks as secure as you can make it.

So has anyone any experience of these products or could recommend any different ones ?

Paul.

Sadly I have had customers report of the ignorance of thieves breaking into the windows regardless. My concerns are that as time goes by and vans change, replacement windows are much harder to source than repairing/replacing a window catch. We already have assisted a customer to try and source a window for his 15 year old Bessacarr and to say that it was a nightmare would be an understatement!!!
The same goes for deadlocks, we were asked at a recent insurer's meeting about things like deadlocks, but what was interesting is that if you do not declare them as fitted and you incur damage, some insurer's will not pay out. This is due to the extensive damage done to the sides of the van.
Personally I'd rather source a replacement lock than deal with body damage.

Sadly I have had customers report of the ignorance of thieves breaking into the windows regardless. My concerns are that as time goes by and vans change, replacement windows are much harder to source than repairing/replacing a window catch. We already have assisted a customer to try and source a window for his 15 year old Bessacarr and to say that it was a nightmare would be an understatement!!!
The same goes for deadlocks, we were asked at a recent insurer's meeting about things like deadlocks, but what was interesting is that if you do not declare them as fitted and you incur damage, some insurer's will not pay out. This is due to the extensive damage done to the sides of the van.
Personally I'd rather source a replacement lock than deal with body damage.
I agree with this post. Our Autosleeper was broken into in Italy a few years ago. They tried and failed to crowbar two habitation windows, damaging them in the process, and then just smashed one of the cab windows which was easy to replace. Ironically they couldn't find anything worth nicking when they finally got in!

Yes, but then they may deter some. I have the LockMOut and they're a bit better than the standard latch, but really wont stop someone with a big levering tool. If you get their one for sliding windows, make sure you send them a good photo of your catch as they sent me the wrong type.

Never underestimate the stupidity of thieves, they didn't get there by being clever, but they DO know if it doesn't budge then a bigger rock/lever is needed!
Some broke into a local garage near me, all the motorbikes were chained and padlocked to the ground, so the burglars just smashed them up 'cause they were pi55ed off!

Interesting. I think the only problem is you would have to go round each one to turn it on/off. I assume if you drove or perhaps just moved the van by walking around inside then the alarms would go off?

There is a video on YouTube showing how it works
WER Doberman Security Slim Loud 100dB Alarm and Vibration Sensors-Modern & Ultra-Thin Design Compatible with Home, Office, Dorm Room or Even RVs (2-Pack) https://amzn.eu/d/6wivTWD

Last edited:
I like Lock m Out as well, Most break ins are impetuous, and they are quite good enough. Anybody walking around with a crowbar is desperate enough to do anything, probably to get a fix.
To cope with opportunists, who may leap in and out again, we always leave a false wallet on the coffee table with a few out of date store cards or similar and some low value cash, coin and paper notes quite obviously on show, in the hope they ‘grab and go’ with no great harm done.

I like Lock m Out as well, Most break ins are impetuous, and they are quite good enough. Anybody walking around with a crowbar is desperate enough to do anything, probably to get a fix.
To cope with opportunists, who may leap in and out again, we always leave a false wallet on the coffee table with a few out of date store cards or similar and some low value cash, coin and paper notes quite obviously on show, in the hope they ‘grab and go’ with no great harm done.
Hopefully not on show until they get inside to find it, otherwise a wallet may tempt them to break in in the first place.

Most opportunists just grab and run. Leave a false wallet/purse laying around, and that’s what they go for, simples!

We have 'lock em outs' as well plus I have a 'Muggers Wallet' in the drivers door pocket. Out of sight but handy if we ever get held up!

I really don't see the point of extra security on windows, if they want to get in nothing will stop them. Best defence is an alarm on all opening doors and windows,and lockers ..just my opinion..

I hope I'm parked next to you then :)

I have visible extra security measures just to make my MH look less easy to break into than any others. I agree that if they really wanted to get in they would but I reckon they'd choose the easiest option first.

It's all about being disturbed while they are doing it ,not what security you have nothing will stop them if they think there are good picking to be had.

But presumably if there were some motorhomes parked together and one had visible anti break in stuff and the others didn't then any impromptu thief would attempt the break in on the easier one first wouldn't they?

We can deadlock doors, put additional locks on garages and hatches, but the choices of physical security on windows is very limited, except a bad tempered and hungry Rottweiler.

I wish people would stop perpetuating the false bad image of Rottweilers. Anybody who knows one would know they are one of the least aggressive of any dog breed.

As for security, if someome wants to break in there's no point risking more damage by trying to stop them.

Alarming the doors and windows may help, but from what I've seen most alarms are ignored these days anyway and people are too scared to get involved. So maybe a video camera to collect evidence is better than deterrents?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back