Motorhomers you could do without meeting

grath

Yesterday a Uk van came into the aire, parked up but did not like the condition of the showers and did not carry water on board.
The owner had a Bailey or Bentley, the type that you cannot fill with a watering can and the owner couldn’t be bothered to move to the borne
The owner asked if i had a bucket and could borrow in the morning to pump into his tank
I said yes as I carry two
Well this morning, he left without even saying thanks or goodbye
Why do they come unprepared and why try to use people grrrr
The next person who asks me for help will probably get a negative reply as this sort of thing has happened to us more than once

Last edited:

Minisorella

Aw Grath, don't get all cynical just because some people don't have manners... a good deed is its own reward and rarely costs us a thing. The person you helped might be more willing to help someone else because of your kindness.

grath

A similar thing happened a couple years ago down here in Portugsl
A guy came into an aire and could not get his gas connected
I spent well over one hr sorting out his fittings and with my tools as he had none
Next morning they drove past and disappeared into the exit rd and not even a wave
Sticks in the throat a little as without me, he would have had no gas

Minisorella

On the bright side... without you he would have had no gas, so how brilliant that you were able to help. He'll pass it forward - that's how it often works. Who knows, that very person might be the one to help me when I get there! Keep sweetening them up for me Graham :LOL:

grath

On the bright side... without you he would have had no gas, so how brilliant that you were able to help. He'll pass it forward - that's how it often works. Who knows, that very person might be the one to help me when I get there! Keep sweetening them up for me Graham :LOL:
Jenny, you are so very positive and optimistic about people
My life experiences unfortunately differ, but I do try to help and I expect my nature will tend for this to carry on

mr brown

when i first started travelling abroad , most campers i met were self builds, most factory builds were german, very few brits . and these self builders were self sufficient , so they had most tools and knew how to use them . great time , and if you needed something a bit unusual , like a welder for example , there'd be a few to choose from ! these people knew what they were doing , and prepared accordingly. to meet someone who didn't have such basics as the wherewithal to fill his tanks would have resulted in disgusted shaking of the head ! most people i met didn't even have breakdown cover ,[i never did] but they didn't expect to be constantly bailed out by others

Rec

Jenny, you are so very positive and optimistic about people
My life experiences unfortunately differ, but I do try to help and I expect my nature will tend for this to carry on
I expect it will...and you will meet more grateful than ungrateful. At least you know you have been kind, suspect (hope!) these people will get the bad manners and karma back further along the line.

Jeanette

We always try and help if we can and it does stick in your throat when they don’t say thank you or as Grath says a wave on their way out!

Wooie1958

A similar thing happened a couple years ago down here in Portugsl
A guy came into an aire and could not get his gas connected
I spent well over one hr sorting out his fittings and with my tools as he had none
Next morning they drove past and disappeared into the exit rd and not even a wave
Sticks in the throat a little as without me, he would have had no gas
Been there, done that on many occasions but now i don`t bother so, i`m with you on this one.

Ask anyone who knows me and i used to be the first one to offer help and assistance if needed however ..........................

It got to a point where i was sick and fed up of not even so much as a please or a thank you after sometimes spending hours helping out.

The final straw came when i lost no i`ll rephrase that, has the fcuking thing STOLEN a small cased tool kit that i lent a guy who had no tools at all.

He came over and asked if i had a screw driver, i asked if he was ok and he said yes, he just need to borrow a screw driver.

Then a little while later asked if i had an adjustable spanner then again for some wire cutters so to make life easier i lent him the tool kit.

10 minutes later the wife noticed him driving out of the aire and asked me if i`d got my tool kit back, no the barsteward drove off with it.

All other offers of help were immediately withdrawn and will stay that way until hell freezes over.

grath

Been there, done that on many occasions but now i don`t bother so, i`m with you on this one.

Ask anyone who knows me and i used to be the first one to offer help and assistance if needed however ..........................

It got to a point where i was sick and fed up of not even so much as a please or a thank you after sometimes spending hours helping out.

The final straw came when i lost no i`ll rephrase that, has the fcuking thing STOLEN a small cased tool kit that i lent a guy who had no tools at all.

He came over and asked if i had a screw driver, i asked if he was ok and he said yes, he just need to borrow a screw driver.

Then a little while later asked if i had an adjustable spanner then again for some wire cutters so to make life easier i lent him the tool kit.

10 minutes later the wife noticed him driving out of the aire and asked me if i`d got my tool kit back, no the barsteward drove off with it.

All other offers of help were immediately withdrawn and will stay that way until hell freezes over.
During the latter end of my trucking days abroad, I noticed the camaraderie had all but disappeared and a dog eat dog mentality had arrived
I had a similar episode where I changed a truck attic trailer wheel using my tools, only for the said driver to do s bunk while I was cleaning myself up
I have been broken down on mountain passes only to see other Uk drivers pretend they had not seen me
Grrrrrrr

Millie Master

Over the many years I used to own and run my sites in France I went to the assistance of a large number of our visitors to do anything from as basic as pumping up their tyres to sorting out quite significant electrical or mechanical problems.

In the main the people I helped were very grateful, but there were an ever increasing number who expressed next to no thanks or suggested it was my duty to help them out!!

Possibly the worst example of a thankless, mindless bastard was a total prat who arrived in an ancient bay window rear engined VW who decided he was going to carry out a full engine service and oil change whilst he was on site, yet he had next to no tools let alone the capability to doing the blessed job, so I lent him a very comprehensively equipped toolkit along, a couple of ramps etc. etc.

The idiot only removed the engine drain plug without ensuring the catch tray I had also supplied was properly underneath to catch all the oil, the result being that the once immaculate red granite chip stone now had a very sizeable oil stain4938749388 :mad::mad:

I received absolutely no apologies, so their holiday on our site was brought to a very rapid end!!!!

The following day I spent most of it under the baking sun, digging out the damaged stone and replacing it before then wacker plating it down.

ken sowerby

Hi Grath.
The world has changed, gone are the days when a friendly wave, a helping hand were all part of a normal day, back in the old days of trucking nobody passed a fellow trucker in trouble, now time is money and a lot of the drivers just don't want to know.
I think it is so sad that these people will never know what it was like years ago.
I still help people if I can but I do get pissed off with some people attitude, but then if it's in your nature to help then you still do it.
Have a good holiday.
Ken

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:340)

belbri, paulhelenwilko, Edina, Asterix, abmnw, The laird, TissyD, runnach, saxonborg, 47643, s4x4c, Exwindsurfer, jagmanx, yelto, mark61, Ian1950, Lee, Val54, jeffmossy, 76zedfour, 2cv, Reiverlad, V1nny, Allen, andyjanet, Tezza33, Minisorella, mr brown, Silver sprinter, wesaaron, wints, Wully, daygoboy, TJBi, wildebus, maingate, helen262, trevskoda, peejay, bobemmo29, Haaamster, tonybvi, mjh0512, trixie88, Livotlout, Obanboy666, ActiveCampers, 955itriple, tapfitter, Topmast, highlandron, ozzy1955, silverweed, TeamRienza, cowanhouse, pedro, YOLO BUS, StreetSleeper, Dell, Wissel, helmit, Telstar, Molly 3, Rec, witzend, Full Member, yorkslass, Campervanannie, RV2MAX, Stellamarie, Gixer, Boots, hotrats, rugbyken, Starkicker, GreggBear, Forresbroons, ton27, Bouydog, Greengrass, Biggarmac, Jeanette, bobj808, oldish hippy, Edward B, Wooie1958, IJenk52, eurajohn, Okta, Budgie, Trek, Millie Master, Trappers, Somerled, pagey, EJB, Dreamcatcher69, St3v3, Ardachaidh, Silver Camper, AdriaTwin, Chrisb1701, Paulmold, debs, Phase3begins, Markd, keithchesterfield, Clunegapyears, ken sowerby, royh28, Carrotts, Linda, Mobilvetta, GDF, Dulvil, GeoffL, bmc, CardMaker, bellars, time4t, SquirrellCook, ironman, Steveandjulie, FULL TIMER, Taurian, snapster, Bounce, oppy, Pudsey Bear, Slider, UFO, clarkpeacock, Harleyboygaz3, RoaminRog, Meloc8, RoadTrek Boy, WildThingsKev, Old Man Down, Iandsm, Skar, rustydog, Mark135, britcoms, Jenrai, Old Tosh, Mikael63, mendit, flying kipper, RosewoodDragon, Overcombe, Bigshug, Chris356, neildenise, pj650, chas142, El radge, stuartmoore, Sueben, PeteS, Trotter, Vanterrier, noah and nelly, nickvanbitz, gerrevelyn, Ted, norman64, Barge1914, Printerjohn, Martingrant, Bri, Geraldine, Kyran, Caz, BOTCANU, Roger Haworth, On a journey, jonscase, Nosmo king, Bernie the Bolt, Chas, Kingneptune, Benylin, Skipperted, Bikesurf, Winks, Caravan Palace, slacky58, Mick Jordan, davidb, mandoman, EsmeeJ123, sunrisemac, MissDor, Oasis, alwaysared, Scampi30, AndyJL, VanGal, Tuppence, FERENZA, Hellfire, David0412, Nomad, PIRRH, Dragon22, DTDOG, nutts, davidjlambert, linkshouse, Barkwick, BertietheBus, juliet, Samsda, Norad60, jim and pat dalton, johndoris, Busylizzy, Master, EnaC, janj, Pedalman, Digger Dog, alun100, chairman, harrym, Nil, Amudle, Dunfillin, Davemotoguzzi, Robin McHood, 1977paul, Avocadopicker, Lunnie, ChrisK, Gabbie, Mobroomfield, bilbo, Musto, Elfish, Wildman, yorkieowl, Robina, Scotchsw3, MOJO, Mastodon, suemar, Vatsmith, countrycruisers, greenspeace, forthpilot, Wilfee, Chris Evans001, Mmiles2017, Lorraine, chubby, ian and cath, taylo482001, satz, john and janet, Surfcity, HurricaneSmith, hairydog, Ianfkelly1952, ScoTTyBEEE, Undertaker, dalspa, Alberto, Dowel, kneespots, Paulajc77, THE COLLIES, Yorky, Douzeper, tobym, DaveP, Wimbrill, Marzar, Fergie1061, Mark, Gerry Attrick, mustang-john, Dartmoor Punch, Veggiechris, Tjay, driver12, mossystone, subablu, roadroamer, Ironjaws, bungy1948, andrew h smith, bish, Bedonwheels, JanettaVienetta, jwh268, HermanHymer, jpdfisher, charlie356, Hamishhymer, Tony Lee, Sotontriker, nabsim, Veloman, Burgo, billthompson, old cronies, bluegeecee, deejaywat, GarethHowell, Bardsley, lifeafloat, MrKenny, Mark B, Cjshan, ruzze77, oldal, Ozbit, Fred Chase, Hughendon, erchie, Forrory, Barry n Jackie, Scotty875, Lena2017, barfly, ladyhamilton, Mischief2, chrsrwlns, Jonnyjan, RONWOOD, Adriandp, Forest1, Ollie, rongrundy, Crystalight, beedubbleyoo, carmel thornton, Raymondo, Seafarer, scouter,