Motorhomers you could do without meeting

mr brown

i was in a rush ,ferry to catch in Villa Real, had to get back to my van. saw an old merc with most of its front removed, a young guy stood staring at it despondently , while his missus , holding a baby , was the picture of depression .
the guy, a German told me a fuel pipe had broken , he'd replaced with new , but after several bleeds of the system , it wouldn't start, and he reckoned the new pie may have had debris in it which was fouling the injector pump and he didn't have the cash to get it cleaned .
i said,i'm in a hurry , show me how you bled it , which he did. luckily , i'd held the torch a couple of nights before, for another German guy with the same engine , so i could say to this young man -did you bleed this screw one at the back ? as soon as he opened it there was a rush of air and fuel , and the engine started immediately
not sure how their day would have panned out if i hadn't been passing and been willing to help, and i hadn't just learnt from his compatriot how to sort his problem , anyway it must have given a boost to Anglo-German relations going by their reactions.

daygoboy

Free Member
I was hoping that tale of mr brown's was going to end with that little German
babe in arms growing up to be Mrs. Merkel, forever and ever a grateful EU freund. :)

grath

I think what is very apparent from the thread, is that most of us hands on old timers will help but we are now in the minority
Incidentally ,the guy I was talking about in the opening post was a caravaner, wanted all the bells and whistles, didn’t like the facilities as a little rustic
He did say, they had never used the shower
Said it all, didn’t it

El radge

I think what is very apparent from the thread, is that most of us hands on old timers will help but we are now in the minority
Incidentally ,the guy I was talking about in the opening post was a caravaner, wanted all the bells and whistles, didn’t like the facilities as a little rustic
He did say, they had never used the shower
Said it all, didn’t it
Think a lot of the posts here just reflect modern society

nickvanbitz

I have to agree, attitudes have changed so much (as a former HGV driver, I certainly can relate to the Driver's not talking bit - including guys/girls in the same firm!!).
I won't change and still offer help if I see someone in difficulty as it's just my nature, but there's just not the friendliness out there anymore and a lot of people going around like the world owes them a favour. I blame some on S/M, as I can imagine these people have 600+ friends on FB but hardly ever talk to them in person. Walked past a pitch the other day and it was so shocking to see a table of 6 all with their faces in their phones and not a single conversation going on.
I did have a nice reaction to helping out a very young in-experienced couple that have never been tenting and looked like they have ordered all the gear from Amazon and absolutely no idea how to assemble it all/use it. Spend about a couple of hours with them (as it was getting close to going dark) with my wife supplying cider, next day they gave the wife a lovely bunch of flowers and me a really nice bottle of Gin! I can only say that it was one of those rare occasions!!

Last edited:

Haaamster

I'd help people 99%of the time but there was one time I pulled into a motorway stop in Holland and there was a very very effeminate guy with a spare wheel and a jack laying by a flat front wheel, he was having a genuine hissy fit because there were no nice strong men rushing to change the wheel for him.

Mick Jordan

I think most of us old guys with the wherewithall in the form of brains or tools or both would try to help, just like we were taught by our dads, but unfortunately there does seem to have been a missing link somewhere in the dads teaching sons thing over more recent years, perhaps because the "freedoms" we all fought for have resulted in dads not being there for various reasons ?

mr brown

another sad fact i learnt is not to approach single women broken down in cars . it's quite natural these days , with all the media crap people have forced down their throat, for them to assume you're a dangerous nutter. and to be fair , not a bad survival instinct . shame though, i've seen them stopped in really dangerous places , and one told me her husband had told her to stop immediately if any kind of warning light came on .

jagmanx

Always Always do the good deed.
KARMA will repay..
In France 2015 I broke a tooth.
Looking for a local dentist I saw a man in a wheelchair slighly struggling on an uphill pathway. So i pushed him.
No dentist in the town.
Found one 20 miles away drove and parked but could not find !
A local (Turkish man) drove me in his car to the correct address. Drove me back to Moho. So we could wait psrk near the dentist who duly sorted the tooth for a minimal fee....
Instant payback plus interest..
"Do unto others" etc etc

Millie Master

Free Member
Just like we were taught by our dads, but unfortunately there does seem to have been a missing link somewhere in the dads teaching sons thing over more recent years, perhaps because the "freedoms" we all fought for have resulted in dads not being there for various reasons ?
Well I didn't have a son to teach, but from about the age of 11 my daughter used to love helping me when I was working on engines or on general maintenance on my cars..... roll on until she was almost 14 when I suggested she thought about joining the ATC, so on her 14th birthday she enrolled and took to it like a duck to water, she achieved a flying scholarship, a sixth form scholarshipp and then a university scholarship where she read aeronautical aerospace engineering where she finally got a 1st class honours degree following which she joined the RAF where she is now a senior engineering officer and she is a right royal pain in the ass as she knows far more than I do about engineering matters!!

wildebus

Always Always do the good deed.
KARMA will repay..
In France 2015 I broke a tooth.
Looking for a local dentist I saw a man in a wheelchair slighly struggling on an uphill pathway. So i pushed him.
No dentist in the town.
Found one 20 miles away drove and parked but could not find !
A local (Turkish man) drove me in his car to the correct address. Drove me back to Moho. So we could wait psrk near the dentist who duly sorted the tooth for a minimal fee....
Instant payback plus interest..
"Do unto others" etc etc
I quite like the American term "paying it forward"....

greenspeace

There is the other side to all the story's told here about rudeness, it still doesn't excuse it though. Those who have had the problems and have had to ask for help have perhaps had to deal with other problems. Coming to terms with not being able to fix something that at home they would be able to. Perhaps their own frustration at not bringing the proper tools or equipment. They just might be very new to Motorhoming/Caravaning and have found themselves out of their depth. Maybe even a problem with their traveling companions about the problem(s). Who knows what has gone on before they are perhaps forced, against there natural desires, to have to admit defeat and ask for help. For some people asking for help is a very big deal and they do not do it well, so again perhaps they are not very good at being grateful for the help they are given, especially if as I have suggested above they are under some stress in the first place. Sometimes accepting help is not easy.

Also some who do good deeds are not always as helpful as they think they are, sometime perhaps being 'too helpful'. Consider the situation, you have a problem it is giving you grief, you end up having to ask for help or tools and you then when all you want to to is get on and fix the problem, you get a barrage of 'advice' on how they would do it.

I am not excusing bad manners or behavior there is no place for it, I am firmly in the 'paying it forward' group, and I hope that whoever I help, and whatever response I get for that help, will not prevent me from continuing to help in the future. Do we really want to to live in a society that only helps people if they say nice things to us in return? I'm prepared to risk my time and my tools to try and help maintain a society where the default setting is to offer help regardless of how that offer is received or rewarded.

Last edited:

maingate

Good post greenspeace. I will offer help but I will first observe the situation to - a) See if the person can sort it him/herself and - b) To see if my interference will be welcomed. My first approach is to ask if they need any help and if they do, they know where I am. Victims of a problem are often (as you say) not in a good frame of mind.

mr brown

i once walked over to offer help to a guy broken down behind Silves castle. his wife came out and gave me a severe bollocking ,saying if people would mind their own effing business and just let him get on with it , maybe he'd fix it and they could get on with their effing holiday ! i left, but it still makes me chuckle !

daygoboy

Free Member
I once foot pumped a wheel for a struggling aged couple, when I had finished
they offered me £10. I said no it's quite alright I don't expect a reward, just a
samaritan act. Then she said, in that case would I mind doing the other 3 and
don't forget the spare!

An apocryphal little tale, but I have had similar and I guess so have others.

maingate

Reminded me of the time the bloke over the road was cutting his grass when I pulled up in the car. I got out, asked him if he had a long extension lead and he said he did have one. I said OK then, when you have finished there, cut my grass as well ... and went indoors for a cup of tea. :giggle::coffee:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:330)

belbri, paulhelenwilko, Edina, Asterix, abmnw, The laird, TissyD, runnach, saxonborg, 47643, s4x4c, Exwindsurfer, jagmanx, yelto, mark61, Ian1950, Lee, Val54, jeffmossy, 76zedfour, 2cv, Reiverlad, V1nny, Allen, andyjanet, Tezza33, Minisorella, mr brown, Silver sprinter, wesaaron, wints, Wully, daygoboy, TJBi, wildebus, maingate, helen262, trevskoda, peejay, bobemmo29, Haaamster, tonybvi, mjh0512, trixie88, Livotlout, Obanboy666, ActiveCampers, 955itriple, tapfitter, Topmast, highlandron, ozzy1955, silverweed, TeamRienza, cowanhouse, pedro, YOLO BUS, StreetSleeper, Dell, Wissel, helmit, Telstar, Molly 3, Rec, witzend, Full Member, yorkslass, Campervanannie, RV2MAX, Stellamarie, Gixer, Boots, hotrats, rugbyken, Starkicker, GreggBear, Forresbroons, ton27, Bouydog, Greengrass, Biggarmac, Jeanette, bobj808, oldish hippy, Edward B, Wooie1958, IJenk52, eurajohn, Okta, Budgie, Trek, Millie Master, Trappers, Somerled, pagey, EJB, Dreamcatcher69, St3v3, Ardachaidh, Silver Camper, AdriaTwin, Chrisb1701, Paulmold, debs, Phase3begins, Markd, keithchesterfield, Clunegapyears, ken sowerby, royh28, Carrotts, Linda, Mobilvetta, GDF, Dulvil, GeoffL, bmc, CardMaker, bellars, time4t, SquirrellCook, ironman, Steveandjulie, FULL TIMER, Taurian, snapster, Bounce, oppy, Pudsey Bear, Slider, UFO, clarkpeacock, Harleyboygaz3, RoaminRog, Meloc8, RoadTrek Boy, WildThingsKev, Old Man Down, Iandsm, Skar, rustydog, Mark135, britcoms, Jenrai, Old Tosh, Mikael63, mendit, flying kipper, RosewoodDragon, Overcombe, Bigshug, Chris356, neildenise, pj650, chas142, El radge, stuartmoore, Sueben, PeteS, Trotter, Vanterrier, noah and nelly, nickvanbitz, gerrevelyn, Ted, norman64, Barge1914, Printerjohn, Martingrant, Bri, Geraldine, Kyran, Caz, BOTCANU, Roger Haworth, On a journey, jonscase, Nosmo king, Bernie the Bolt, Chas, Kingneptune, Benylin, Skipperted, Bikesurf, Winks, Caravan Palace, slacky58, Mick Jordan, davidb, mandoman, EsmeeJ123, sunrisemac, MissDor, Oasis, alwaysared, Scampi30, AndyJL, VanGal, Tuppence, FERENZA, Hellfire, David0412, Nomad, PIRRH, Dragon22, DTDOG, nutts, davidjlambert, linkshouse, Barkwick, BertietheBus, juliet, Samsda, Norad60, jim and pat dalton, johndoris, Busylizzy, Master, EnaC, janj, Pedalman, Digger Dog, alun100, chairman, harrym, Nil, Amudle, Dunfillin, Davemotoguzzi, Robin McHood, 1977paul, Avocadopicker, Lunnie, ChrisK, Gabbie, Mobroomfield, bilbo, Musto, Elfish, Wildman, yorkieowl, Robina, Scotchsw3, MOJO, Mastodon, suemar, Vatsmith, countrycruisers, greenspeace, forthpilot, Wilfee, Chris Evans001, Mmiles2017, Lorraine, chubby, ian and cath, taylo482001, satz, john and janet, Surfcity, HurricaneSmith, hairydog, Ianfkelly1952, ScoTTyBEEE, Undertaker, dalspa, Alberto, Dowel, kneespots, Paulajc77, THE COLLIES, Yorky, Douzeper, tobym, DaveP, Wimbrill, Marzar, Fergie1061, Mark, Gerry Attrick, mustang-john, Dartmoor Punch, Veggiechris, Tjay, driver12, mossystone, subablu, roadroamer, Ironjaws, bungy1948, andrew h smith, bish, Bedonwheels, JanettaVienetta, jwh268, HermanHymer, jpdfisher, charlie356, Hamishhymer, Tony Lee, Sotontriker, nabsim, Veloman, Burgo, billthompson, old cronies, bluegeecee, deejaywat, GarethHowell, Bardsley, lifeafloat, MrKenny, Mark B, Cjshan, ruzze77, oldal, Ozbit, Fred Chase, Hughendon, erchie, Forrory, Barry n Jackie, Scotty875, Lena2017, barfly, ladyhamilton, Mischief2, chrsrwlns, Jonnyjan, RONWOOD,