MPK 400x400 Vent repair or replace

Bracknell MoHo

Existing 400x400 MPK vent, Model 46 style i.e. with the larger splash/snow protection dome. So like this:

1712911423789.png

Not like this:

1712911500241.png

I need a new flynet with integrated blind for it (the clasp/clip on bit has broken). But one corner is also broken off the dome - it and the other one is probably 17 years old and snapped off when I was cleaning. The dome damage is not critical but.....

The internal frame is white (or was....its aged...but definitely not beige). I can get the separate flynet/blind part easily enough - in white. Seems impossible to get the dome on its own, so have considered buying the complete vent with flynet i.e. inc. frame and using the dome and net/blind. However, seems impossible to get this style - large dome - with the white frame and therefore white net/blind. I've seen one in beige.

1. Anyone any ideas on where I can try ?

The other thought was to take the opportunity to replace this vent with the MPK vision star pro i.e. one of these: https://www.leisuredepot.co.uk/mpk-vision-star-pro-roof-vent-skylight-40cm-x-40cm-in-white.html
1712906481484.png

This will (obviously) require removal of the existing frame and replacement with the new one.

2. How difficult is this to self install and do a good watertight job ? Also, are these really better (I like the fully integrated concertina blind if I'm honest).

Attachments

• 1712911487992.png
    1712911487992.png
    121 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Can't comment on replacing one of those, but I've replaced a Mini Heki - relatively simple replacement operation. It helps to have access to the roof from outside.

once the vent is out you are left with a 400 x 400 hole which you can fit anything of that size potentially.
If you have space on the roof for the extra overhang, I would recommend you look at the Maxxair Fan. much better then any of these Heki vents.

I'd second getting one with a fan, in & out if possible so long as you have access to power there.

once the vent is out you are left with a 400 x 400 hole which you can fit anything of that size potentially.
If you have space on the roof for the extra overhang, I would recommend you look at the Maxxair Fan. much better then any of these Heki vents.
thanks. Understand that anything of apropriate size e.g. MPK, Dometic etc. can go in there, it was more a question of how difficult a job was it to fit a replacement oneself.

The Maxxair is interesting. Not sure how I'd get the power supply to it though.

You just need to make sure you get mastic ribbon to bed it on to, not sealant when fitting it, as for power it might be possible to use a roof entry gland like a solar panel one even utilise that if you have one and a bit of white flat trunking across the roof and in under the mastic.

1712917619137.png

Changed two of ours that had cracked. Put Fiamma Vent 50’s in. Just had to enlarge the hole then fit the new one with the recommended Sika mastic. I think they were about £110 apiece.

Cheers

H

I've just fitted one of these: for not much more than a plain vent at £149 I would prefer a good quality powered vent over an unpowered one. This one works both ways, with four speeds each way, automatically opens when you turn it on, and automatically closes when you turn it off or it detects rain. It seems very well built with a silent brushless motor. Only thing is if you have a 400x400 opening, as I did, you will have to reduce the opening down to 360 x 360 (ish) with timber to secure it. I didn't find this a problem. As for finding a voltage source there was a ceiling light near to my existing roof vent so I just took the power from the light. Make sure the fuse feeding the light source is adequate for both the light and the fan of course.
The only downside is that it has no blind so I will have to fabricate one - either Velcro or magnetic strip should do the job.

Back