MPPT & Starter Trickle

That's true - however since I put the dual charger in 3 years ago I've not had a problem with starting after storage.
Am I on wrong track with going MPPT?
MPPT is by far the most efficient regulator type for getting the max out of your solar, plus the benefits of being able to program for specific batteries. It's making the correct choice with regards to your engine battery support issues. We've always stuck with Victron, as we feel they are a cracking product and the Victron Connect APP really does help in not only keeping the firmware up to date on the regulator, but solar efficiency can easily be read on your device.
As we are not fans of dual charge regulators, we always include our Battery Master as part of our solar installations anyway so that deals with the engine battery support. Plus with the added efficiency of MPPT and some sort of engine battery supporting device, I recon you will see the benefits of moving over to MPPT. Also bear in mind that if you go with LiFePO4 Batteries at a later date, it's advised to change the regulator to MPPT with a Lithium Profile.

Thanks - if I do succumb to lithium I reckon getting a new charger will be small beer in comparison 😀

I have a small power bank that I use to ‘jump’ the engine battery if needed. It works fine so long as the battery has a little power left in it. I can also use it fir charging devices through USB and if I needed another torch it does that.
Then again I carry a generator as I rarely get anywhere with ehu

MPPT is by far the most efficient regulator type for getting the max out of your solar, plus the benefits of being able to program for specific batteries. It's making the correct choice with regards to your engine battery support issues. We've always stuck with Victron, as we feel they are a cracking product and the Victron Connect APP really does help in not only keeping the firmware up to date on the regulator, but solar efficiency can easily be read on your device.
As we are not fans of dual charge regulators, we always include our Battery Master as part of our solar installations anyway so that deals with the engine battery support. Plus with the added efficiency of MPPT and some sort of engine battery supporting device, I recon you will see the benefits of moving over to MPPT. Also bear in mind that if you go with LiFePO4 Batteries at a later date, it's advised to change the regulator to MPPT with a Lithium Profile.
does your Battery Master have a different profile for Lithium? I think you mentioned it works on a voltage difference? with Lithium, the voltage is at a high (apparently fully charged) level until it is pretty low so it could potentially drain the battery if the vehicle is left long enough (maybe in unpowered storage over the winter)

I thought that all the lithium batteries had their own BMS to fine tune charging?

does your Battery Master have a different profile for Lithium? I think you mentioned it works on a voltage difference? with Lithium, the voltage is at a high (apparently fully charged) level until it is pretty low so it could potentially drain the battery if the vehicle is left long enough (maybe in unpowered storage over the winter)

No, as it doesn't need it. Say for an example that the Li is currently unsupported by Solar or Mains and sat at it's Threshold voltage (typically 13.1), the Battery Master would only engage when the engine battery drops 0.8v below this figure (typically not allowing the engine battery to fall below say 12.3V - 70% Battery Capacity) enough to keep the engine battery at a level where the vehicle will start. When charge comes into the system, there will always be 0.8 volts variation between leisure and engine battery voltages. As most Float charge hovers around 13.5V, then the B/Master will keep the engine battery at a respectable 12.7 volts (100% Charge). As we are using the Battery Master to support the Engine Battery (which is either Lead Acid or AGM), it will not cause any issues regarding a Lithium Install.
As I've mentioned, Battery master has been our product since 1996 and many a dealer buy them in reasonable quantities. It just does what it says on the tin.
I thought that all the lithium batteries had their own BMS to fine tune charging?
Without changing the subject on Lithium, you'd be better to read the other dedicated Lithium posts about the jobs of the BMS buddy.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back