Multi USB sockets.

sydnsue

I have several devices that require charging in the van.
1. There is a high power drone battery charger that I run from an inverter. Input 240V 1.8A. Output 17V 3.53A.
2. There are 4 USB devices that prefer the fast charge socket which I assume is the 2.4A type. I have searched for multi sockets but they all seem to be 2 x 2.4A with 2 x 1.0A. Has anyone found a 4 way 2.4A?

Obviously I need to run a new high power fused cable to the leisure batteries. Should this be connected directly to the battery terminals or is there another method?
What size cable and connectors should I use to allow maximum charge capacity? 4x USB will be 9.6A plus the inverter for the drone charger.

For higher current demand USB outlets, I tend to use a little adapter like this - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Char...B-Output-Power-Adapter-3A-15W-E/233696709803?
1600623344855.png
The one above is a Micro-USB one, but you can get the same converter with a variety of different connectors, including normal USB Ports to plug your own leads into.

I know it says each output is 2.4A, but can actually deliver 9.6A in total? I have seen similar adapters and in the very small print there is a note saying that the combined output current is xA, where x is lower then the supposed capacity of each output added together.

Thanks Wildebus but that would ony charge 1 item at a time. I want to charge 4 at a time hence the reason for a heavy cable direct from the batteries. The multi socket above does state 9.6A in the spec. Maybe I cut the plug part off and rewire it but it's messy.

I don't understand this "need" for power to charge everything in the van.
At home I have smart TV, Netflix, Computer, iPad...etc.

Away in the van is time away from all that.
It's about meeting with friends, or just my time to chill out.

Only two things need charging....My mobile in case of emergencies, and the kindle to read a good book.
Both can be done from the ciggy lighter socket.

I don't understand this "need" for power to charge everything in the van.
At home I have smart TV, Netflix, Computer, iPad...etc.

Away in the van is time away from all that.
It's about meeting with friends, or just my time to chill out.

Only two things need charging....My mobile in case of emergencies, and the kindle to read a good book.
Both can be done from the ciggy lighter socket.
I am a photographer. I use a drone, a video camera, a DSLR camera, a laptop for video storage and we have 2 phones.

I've used a number of these in our van.

4 USB sockets and a wired output too. I have 3D printed a support and fitted the in CBE outlets.

I've used a number of these in our van.

4 USB sockets and a wired output too. I have 3D printed a support and fitted the in CBE outlets.
Interesting Chinglish in the description but looks good :) Presuming it needs a double CBE to fit the side part in as well?
(on a side note .. how can that be that cheap? £3.75 and free postage? it costs £3.00 to send a small parcel in the UK, and with packaging, ebay and paypal fees it must leave him with around 20p to cover the cost of the product and his profit??)

Yes, it takes 12v in, I have added an additional fused busbar which is connected to the battery so effectively permanently.

The wired output is used to supply a RPi, the USB feed its SSD.

Another one feeds an additional SSD used to store media played from the router.

Another one is used for phone and Chromebook charging.

The readily available CBE style 1.5/2.5 USB sockets often failed to charge phones fully due to low voltage from battery while wild camping. These have cured that.

Interesting Chinglish in the description but looks good :) Presuming it needs a double CBE to fit the side part in as well?
(on a side note .. how can that be that cheap? £3.75 and free postage? it costs £3.00 to send a small parcel in the UK, and with packaging, ebay and paypal fees it must leave him with around 20p to cover the cost of the product and his profit??)

This was the first one I made, later ones look better.

IMG_20200921_094206.jpg

Yes, it takes 12v in, I have added an additional fused busbar which is connected to the battery so effectively permanently.

The wired output is used to supply a RPi, the USB feed its SSD.

Another one feeds an additional SSD used to store media played from the router.

Another one is used for phone and Chromebook charging.

The readily available CBE style 1.5/2.5 USB sockets often failed to charge phones fully due to low voltage from battery while wild camping. These have cured that.
Slightly off topic from original question from OP, but think this is a useful side-discussion that ties in ....
I have not seen a problem with the USB sockets not working when voltage gets low (and I actually ran my batteries down to below 11V the other day when wild camping (not usually a good idea, but needs must when appropriate)). I use "standard" sockets and adapt them to CBE Style of mounting. I wonder if there is a type of socket that CBE (or C-Line) is using for their branded ones that are too picky?

Try a desktop output 4usbs in a line put a stepper/ buck converter for amps. I think That would get hot at 9amps ....
Will you have usb sockets on a timer ? On off switch?

Following the ideas from all of you, I have decided to buy the 2 attached items, rewire them together and mount directly to a motorhome panel. This gives me x2 12V sockets, x4 USB 3A sockets, a switch and the voltage display (depending on how accurate it is). The only minor issue is the USB in the small panel is the touch switch type, but I can live with that.
Thanks everyone for your time. "It's good to talk".

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 16

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back