MWB self build - 2 weeks in :) (update 25 Sept: now 11 weeks in)

ActiveCampers

...For those interested (lol) - walk through 2 weeks in....

- Fit electric side step *
- Fit tow bar, electrics, and rear step
- Fit rear air suspension *
- Interface to converters socket *
- Vinyl wrap sides and rear of van *
- Apply custom decals *
- Cut holes and install 2x side windows *
- Fix frame for skylight
- Lay raised well-insulated, well-supported floor, and fit alto flooring.

(* = never done before, so huge learning curve. For instance, applying vinyl wrap, outside, in gusty wind, with pollen and sand (!) being blown in and attracted to the static does not make a fun afternoon!)

And of course, teaching wife how to use tools safely!

looking very nice so far ,keep the stages coming please
Rest stage for the weekend :)
Then ripping cab roof apart, building walls and (re) checking everything fits!
There are easier ways than our way (lol) but we hope its worth it

Hope to come to more rallies once complete.

just a thought . i made up a full width rear step from timber painted black , fitted over the towball and held with 2 bolts . easy to remove on the odd time i need to tow , but a great place to sit the rest of the time . plus i've had a couple of rear enders in traffic and it's protected the van and been easy to replace

Looks great, hope you don’t mind me asking were did you get the vinyl wraps from please.

Thanks. Week 3 has been a bit s**t lol. Ripping a bit out and doing it again. Didn't hit the expected level of finish. Need to up my game

The black wrap is satin black vinyl wrap, KPMF, from "starvinyl". (£100) 3m cutting tape and tools from ebay (£40). Lots of swearing (oh I wish I had a dust and wind free workshop, not windy driveway with insects and pollen). the metallic grey graphics are from customcampers (2x £22) and the red are DIY - my design and cut by local sign writer. (£42).

Hello. Does anybody know where I can buy some lightweight boarding, suitable for making bed boards for theToyota Alphard pop top. Max weight to carry 65kg.
I have chipboard at the moment which is really heavy.
Thank you.

We got plywood from local woodmerchant. Think most of the DIY chains do it.....cut holes to ventilate. The other option are IKEA bed slats. Might be worth starting separate thread...lots of knowledge out there!

Hello. Does anybody know where I can buy some lightweight boarding, suitable for making bed boards for theToyota Alphard pop top. Max weight to carry 65kg.
Thank you.
are you talking about boards or slats ? my bed boards , about 600mm square , are 9mm birch ply , but slats would need to be thicker

Maybe ask on the Motorhome Builder, sister site? Would have been a good place for this post too.
Motorhome builder is a bit too quiet to be honest.... 10 updated threads in a week :( Just not the throughput.

Anyway, 8 weeks in...

Motorhome builder is a bit too quiet to be honest.... 10 updated threads in a week :( Just not the throughput.

Anyway, 8 weeks in...

But if we all had that attitude Phil might as well give up...................... Believe me if we don't get more people more active, including you, then there is no chance for it and this post of yours is exactly what motorhomebuilder needs.

Brilliant project. Can I ask what solar set up you used? What size panel on the roof? Batteries etc.
Many thanks.
David.

Brilliant project. Can I ask what solar set up you used? What size panel on the roof? Batteries etc.
Many thanks.
David.
Solar not installed yet.
But 2x110AH LBs in the rear garage (see wk 5 video)
2x 150W solar panels will fit to a custom roof rack I'll be making "soon" out of 4040 Aluminiun profile (spaced to allow 3 skylights, no mean feat on a MWB! Via a Epever 20A controller.
panels are Wido 1480 x 680 (from memory). So watch this space in maybe a month...

Thank you.
www.morelanduk.com
How to cut, measure and fit? Watch Greg Virgo’s videos on YouTube 👍

11 weeks in
Getting tough now, pretty much full time on it - so lots of hours!
Couple of disasters - make worktop and fitting the top laminate and the wind caught it and stuck wrong... Damn it. (also buggered the spare). Had to buy new ply (expensive lightwight stuff) and laminate. Expensive error an a waste of a day or so. On the brightside, we didn't like the laminate so changed it for the repurchase!
And the upholsterers cut the foam, perfect, but then laid it wrong and cut a cushion 3cm short. So awaiting replacement. Amazingly good though.
Starting to feel like a van and surprisingly spacious. Still, loads to do...

In the last 3 weeks we have:-
- Finished most of the sliding door
- Made water system live (loo only)
- Installed bathroom floor and loo (temporary)
- Installed 12v control panels, water control panels, and 12v wiring looms (90% complete)
- Installed 240v wiring (60% connected)
- Insulated and covered behind kitchen sink
- Created worktop with recessed smev 9722 sink and dual burner (not connected)
- Created panels for fridge
- Commissioned diesel heater with dedicated fuel tank
- Build bed framework (v2) and ordered/got cushions/upholstery - awaiting remake of incorrect cushion.
- Connected Truma Ultrastore 10ge heater (no gas yet)

Thats probably about it!

Reactions: Lee
Oops - guess I should've updated this thread :)

Van was finished in January, a few extra "touches" added since, and minor bits to do - but its there :)

Will be at Hereford meet tomorrow - maybe see you all there

All build pics https://photos.app.goo.gl/QPiv6sVDTUp1vuTMA (including updates)

And final build video here (short version!)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back