My 1961 BSA 650 With An Electric Start Conversion

Vanterrier

Fiendishly clever, whatever next? And what is the cap thing on the end of the magneto?

K ?

StreetSleeper

what is the cap thing on the end of the magneto?
The mag is no longer in use, I've opted for electronic ignition. This conversion was originally fitted to Nortons. I've also upgraded the dynamo to an alternator, fits in the same place as the dynamo so is in keeping with the vehicle. There have been many upgrades to this engine; if anybody was interested I would write them down.

Rae

Vanterrier

It looks a very well engineered engine, a thing of beauty to engineers, but probably not to purists. I remember turning up at the local BSA owners club with a bike I had rescued from a scrapyard and spent two years and a few quid sorting to roadworthy condition and all they could bring themselves to say was it had the wrong front mudguard and the fuel tank paintwork was wrong. I never went back but rode the bike for four years before selling it to a young lad who intended to ride it to Asia and take it to Australia.
I for one would be very interested in the details of the modifications you have made.
Very impressed so far
K ;)

StreetSleeper

Triumph clutch?
Hello Simon,
Standard fitting on A10s, fortunately they had moved on from the six spring. What makes this different from the Triumph four spring, no cush drive. When building this engine I contemplated three clutches, as I have a plunger gearbox mainshaft in my collection I could have used a Norton Dominator clutch or a Norton Commando diaphragm clutch or a Suzuki clutch instead I opted for a Triumph aluminium basket and standard steel centre. By doing this I had to mix the plates using steel and aluminium. I believe this should make the clutch a lot lighter.

Rae

StreetSleeper

I have been told on many occasions that I have ruined this bike, especially when I blew the bottom end up. The previous year I had just had the SRM bottom end conversion done where they remove the timing side bush and replace it with a needle and roller bearing and then quill the end of the crankshaft and end feed the oil through that way. I will write what else has been done but later on today. I must write here the bottom end blew up not because of the SRM conversion but a batch of dodgy drive side bearings that were floating around.

Rae

SimonM

First of all, tell anyone who complains about YOUR bike and whatever you have done to it, that they have got you confused with someone who gives a ****

I had a couple of A10s, plunger and swingarm, and I was sure it was a 6 Spring unit fitted to them, and felt I recognised the Triumph basket.

Interestingly I have just replaced the starter sprag gear on my old Hayabusa which looks similar to the unit you’ve fitted. It was a bit of a failure point on the 99 & 2000 models and greatly modified on later models. See the pic of the new and the modified replacement at the chamfer now built in from new, and the chipped one on my original.

34B4F77E-27E4-451E-B778-2B870A4D14BC.jpeg832FB28B-09B7-4128-80B2-0CC6F8A7AEB1.jpeg

StreetSleeper

I had a couple of A10s, plunger and swingarm, and I was sure it was a 6 Spring unit fitted to them, and felt I recognised the Triumph basket.
Hello Simon,
Here's the mainshaft of the swinging arm gearbox. As you can see it has a taper and a woodruff key.

This is the plunger mainshaft, totally different end.

No woodruff key as the clutch slides onto the splines.

I have no idea when BSA stopped using the six spring clutch. In my ignorance, I thought it was only used on the plunger as I know that shaft, above, was called a plunger mainshaft.
You own a Hayabusa Simon and you still have a licence? You must flap about on the handle bars when you open that up.

Rae

GWAYGWAY

I hope that have uprated battery my 6 volt one would not run the headlight alone for a few minutes and the generator/dynamo was total crap

StreetSleeper

I hope that have uprated battery my 6 volt one would not run the headlight alone for a few minutes and the generator/dynamo was total crap
Hello Graham,
The battery is 12 volt gel and the biggest you can fit under the seat. The dynamo and regulator box have been removed and an alternator, the same shape as the dynamo, is now in it's place.

Rae

SimonM

Hello Simon,
Here's the mainshaft of the swinging arm gearbox. As you can see it has a taper and a woodruff key.

View attachment 48807

This is the plunger mainshaft, totally different end.

View attachment 48808

No woodruff key as the clutch slides onto the splines.

View attachment 48809

I have no idea when BSA stopped using the six spring clutch. In my ignorance, I thought it was only used on the plunger as I know that shaft, above, was called a plunger mainshaft.
You own a Hayabusa Simon and you still have a licence? You must flap about on the handle bars when you open that up.

Rae
I’ve had 5 to date ever since they came out in April 99. My present one was first registered 1st April 99 and maybe the earliest still on the road.
I used to drag race and land speed race, here’s a picture of my 525bhp road legal turbo, geared for 245mph @ 11000rpm.
F75A8481-CC56-4665-B61B-16A6A4A07113.jpeg

Steveandjulie

There were e few BSA at Dorset steam fair plus many others even a fs1e took me back to being 16 I loved my fizzer

Reactions: 2cv

StreetSleeper

fs1e took me back to being 16 I loved my fizzer
Hello Steve,
My brother had one of the first one's made, it was gold and it was called an SS50; truly amazing motorbike or should I say moped? So much so, for my son's 16th birthday I did a 1900 mile round trip to get him one. It was one of the later versions with the governed engine and the foot pedals removed but, with a bit of tinkering and a big bore kit, it went along at a respectable speed. Of course, he hated it because his friend had an Aprilia 50cc.

Rae

StreetSleeper

I used to drag race and land speed race
Hello Simon,
I have only ever ridden a road legal drag bike once and that was enough. It was a 750 4 Honda bored out to 1000cc, twin dellorto carburettors, lightened crankshaft, lengthened swinging arm and the forks were shortened, you had to permanently rev it as the engine would stall. Pulling away was more like having an on and off switch and I managed to spin the back wheel, unintentionally, the first time I rode it: I quickly gave it back. So I have to take my hat off to you.

Rae

Steveandjulie

Hello Steve,
My brother had one of the first one's made, it was gold and it was called an SS50; truly amazing motorbike or should I say moped? So much so, for my son's 16th birthday I did a 1900 mile round trip to get him one. It was one of the later versions with the governed engine and the foot pedals removed but, with a bit of tinkering and a big bore kit, it went along at a respectable speed. Of course, he hated it because his friend had an Aprilia 50cc.

Rae
Mine was 1974 so unrestricted and still had the pedals I fitted a 65cc big bore kit and a micron exhaust did 70mph cracking bike but my best was a tzr 250 with twin microns that bike sounded beautiful and went like stink how I love the sound of a 2 stroke engine

SimonM

Hello Rae
I started racing my road bike, and then as I got a bit better I wanted to go faster, naturally. So then the modifying started, lighter, tuned, different exhaust, big bore, nitrous etc.

So for a while I was racing a 1400cc Hayabusa with a 50shot of nitrous and 265rwhp. Here’s a picture of me at Santa Pod winning Ultimate Street Bike which was a combination of 3 elements, standing start mile 213.3mph, 1/4mile 9.4sec @156mph, and finally 265bhp. And found one of me flying past the finish line at about 210 (a bit blurred)B4F288A4-AAE8-462A-AA31-BE967913A5C5.jpegEF9C0806-636A-40AF-A737-28AD3B234C37.jpeg

StreetSleeper

Hello Simon,
Impressed..........very impressed. Used to go to the pod in the late '70's; the Swedes pretty well had it sewn up. There were lots of double engine bikes racing at the time. What surprised me about your bike, no wheelie bars: I remember seeing a double engine Kawasaki triple nearly do the full length on his bars. How do you keep it down?
Great photographs.

Rae

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)