My van is so appealing.

Trotter

Fiat Ducato 07 reg.
Usual Fiat paint problem, the top coat is coming away from the primer.
Anyone got an idea of a fix, cheaper than a respray.
I went to a local graphics company this morning and was given several reasons why vinyl wouldn’t work. One reason he didn’t give me was, he didn’t want the job.

Fiat Ducato 07 reg.
Usual Fiat paint problem, the top coat is coming away from the primer.
Anyone got an idea of a fix, cheaper than a respray.
I went to a local graphics company this morning and was given several reasons why vinyl wouldn’t work. One reason he didn’t give me was, he didn’t want the job.
Do you mean that the laquer coat is flaking off the base colour?

Yus!
Edited,
When I said Yus!, I really meant No! 'Tis an age thing. No the white paint is coming off the primer.
I'm writing this because my telepathic powers tell me Terry will say something to that effect.:whistle:

Last edited:
Just to clarify ... is the clearcoat/lacquer peeling away from the colour coat. or is the colour coming off the primer?
Is your van white? asking this as flat white vans often have no clearcoat and the top coat is plain colour (one way to check is apply some abrasive polish like t-cut on the paint with a cloth - if the cloth discolours with the van colour, than there is no lacquer.

If it is the clearcoar coming away, then an expensive repaint is the only way (expensive as removing all the peeling lacquer is time-consuming).
How long has the colour coat been exposed? chances are it is waterbased and not wanting to be exposed for any length of time and will need repainting as well as re-lacquering.
You could put vinyl decals on top depending on how much good surface it has to adhere to, but anything sticky is only as sticky as the thing it is stuck to - so putting vinyl on top of a peeling surface = peeling vinyl. I would not be surprised if the graphics company would not want this job for that reason - it would make them look like they did a shoddy job.

Same thing's happening to my Jan 2006 Boxer cab. I had the bonnet resprayed a couple of years back but that's coming off again already, as well as areas all over the wings. There's no sign of stone chips or anything... the paint just seems to peel off. The base paint underneath is still intact - a cream colour. Seems to be a really common problem in vans of this age. My plan is to rub it all down and respray at some point, with some expert advice on hand.

Swivel!!
Btw, Did you nick my coffee mug?
I didn't nick it, you abandoned it

46328 :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
If the area of flaking is not too big you could use a spray can of clear coat laquer.
No, he has solid white paint which is peeling off the primer underneath, the only way in my opinion is to completely remove the top coat of white and prep and coat with etch primer then put the top coat on again but it isn't cheap, it is no good spraying on top of the white because it will just peel off bringing the new paint with it

There might be more options these days because it is a long time since I was in the trade and things change rapidly so any other opinions would be useful, Trevskoda knows his stuff with modern spraying methods so if we mention Linux he will see this and offer advice

If you have a flat white plain white and no clearcoat (as Tezza33 seems to have confirmed?) then you can probably get away with rubbing down any paint that is loose and use a cellulose-based paint to respray with.
Problem is oil-based paint is no longer available for general sale so if you go down the current conventional route, it is water-based colour paint plus a clearcoat.
The Cellulose option (also known in the trade as 'knacker lacquer' as it is often used as a quick blowover) is cheap, simple to use, will give an exact colour match and finish style and you don't have to use a clearcoat (which will seal in the surrounding dull paint and make it a pain for the future)
This is what I used on my T4 with its flat 'Fresian Green' paint and on my LT with its plain 'Off Grey' white paint.

Thanks for all of the advice, sorry about miss reading #3, therefore giving a wrong answer, now put right, by way of a (very clever) edit.

If I'm going to use the "knacker lacquer", some tricky masking is going to be needed to avoid messing up a, Adria logo.
When I said, the local graphic guy didn't want to do the job, I did fully understand his reasoning. Maybe I was a little disingenuous.

If you have solar panels bonded to your roof !keep a good eye on them or invest in some screws . OK I'll trottalong now ..and eat my crumpets ,
The panel is sikaflexed to the roof, not the paint. Besides, there are four strong magnets up there as well. What I'm trying to say here is, It's something I did. Not Fiat.
Chastity belt and braces. o_O

My MH is 2011 and the paintwork from Fiat is cr-ubbish. Mine also has the top coat, the white, flaking away from the yellow primer. The worst of it is the bonnet, a bit on the corner of the front wings, and then a strip along the top edge of the windscreen.

The vinyl man won’t panel over flaky paint, it will lift - my mechanic mates brother has a vinyl business and has told me it needs to be rubbed down to a solid base.

My nephew runs a body shop but his oven isn’t big enough to take my MH, but we’ll paint the bonnet, grille and bumper in something nice, removed from the vehicle. The rest will need to be touched up out in the dry on a calm day, so no dust issues. Then hope for a good finish.

The vinyl man won’t panel over flaky paint, it will lift - my mechanic mates brother has a vinyl business and has told me it needs to be rubbed down to a solid base.
Probably why Del couldn't get the vinyl man to do it, if the paint under the graphics is not secure then neither is the vinyl

If you have a flat white plain white and no clearcoat (as Tezza33 seems to have confirmed?) then you can probably get away with rubbing down any paint that is loose and use a cellulose-based paint to respray with.
Problem is oil-based paint is no longer available for general sale so if you go down the current conventional route, it is water-based colour paint plus a clearcoat.
The Cellulose option (also known in the trade as 'knacker lacquer' as it is often used as a quick blowover) is cheap, simple to use, will give an exact colour match and finish style and you don't have to use a clearcoat (which will seal in the surrounding dull paint and make it a pain for the future)
This is what I used on my T4 with its flat 'Fresian Green' paint and on my LT with its plain 'Off Grey' white paint.
The problem is that any top coat left on and sprayed over is still not adhering to the primer so it will still lift

The problem is that any top coat left on and sprayed over is still not adhering to the primer so it will still lift
that's why you rub down any loose paint (as I mentioned).

Unless you are saying you have to remove every inch of the colour coat? I got the impression it is a localised issue and not the entire surface of the vehicle.

that's why you rub down any loose paint (as I mentioned).

Unless you are saying you have to remove every inch of the colour coat? I got the impression it is a localised issue and not the entire surface of the vehicle.
I can only advise what I would do David, the colour coat is not adhering to the primer, so if you rub down and prep the body without removing all of the problem areas (how can you tell where it is going to flake off next?) then it can peel off under the new paint you have applied bringing all the new paint with it, Jennie had her bonnet painted because of this problem but it peeled off somewhere else, so it could be a localised issue but how can you tell where it is localised to, I have the advantage that I have seen a few of the affected vehicles, there isn't loose paint, the edges where it has peeled off are not loose, no loose edges that you would normally flat and spray over

I reckon the best plan is to treat it the best I can, and get the areas painted affected now, and then treat new areas as and when they appear on an annual basis.
As you pointed out Dave , apart from a strip on the top rear near side, the problem is mainly on the bonnet ( easy fix) and above the windscreen.
Looks like I’m going to be on first name terms with a local paint shop.
It’s all part of being the proud owner of a Fiat. No, you’re never an owner, you’re the Carer.
Fix
It
Again
Today

The old girl had her issues. But I’m still,Truly, Deeply, Madly, etc......?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back