National Trust

2cv

Below is a statement the National Trust have asked to be shared.

"We already welcome campervans and motorhomes at some of the places in our care. However, it’s clear from the incredible response in recent weeks that we need to do more to support overnight stays in our car parks at National Trust places, where we can.

Therefore, we’re working up a plan to allow campervan and motorhome users to stay overnight at more of our places. We’ve been trialling this in the Lake District this year and we’re now considering how we roll this out across selected locations next year"

Great news ....we have stoped at a few on our travels .
We have always found that not asking was the best way for a checky stopover .
If they then taped our door and said you need go now we are closing , we go with no argument s.

Same with english heritage ..

I’ve had the van for two and a half years, so still pretty much a novice. From my limited experience, I’ve found the European Aire experience first class. The winter weather helps of course. But it’s the feeling of being made welcome, that does it for me.
I’d like to tour the UK more, but it’s the pettiness of parking restrictions that put me off. TBH, if I’m not welcome, I’ll spend my money elsewhere. It makes little difference to me, where I spend it, be it pounds spent in Wales, Scotland, England or in euros.
If I thought for a minute the the likes of NT, or EH would allow me to use their facilities, I’d probably join. I’d need to be convinced it was worth my while. For example, I’m a member of the Camping and Caravan Club. Do I use their sites? Sometimes, not often. Do I make use of the ferry discounts? Absolutely.
All I ask is for value for money. Not just another sticker to put in the window.

I’ve had the van for two and a half years, so still pretty much a novice. From my limited experience, I’ve found the European Aire experience first class. The winter weather helps of course. But it’s the feeling of being made welcome, that does it for me.
I’d like to tour the UK more, but it’s the pettiness of parking restrictions that put me off. TBH, if I’m not welcome, I’ll spend my money elsewhere. It makes little difference to me, where I spend it, be it pounds spent in Wales, Scotland, England or in euros.
If I thought for a minute the the likes of NT, or EH would allow me to use their facilities, I’d probably join. I’d need to be convinced it was worth my while. For example, I’m a member of the Camping and Caravan Club. Do I use their sites? Sometimes, not often. Do I make use of the ferry discounts? Absolutely.
All I ask is for value for money. Not just another sticker to put in the window.
But them stickers are handy for covering stone chips.😀😀

But it’s the feeling of being made welcome, that does it for me.
I’d like to tour the UK more, but it’s the pettiness of parking restrictions that put me off.

We have done over 300 nights in the UK, mostly withcamping, can't say we have ever felt unwelcome, we are ignored which is fine with us. The majority of nights we have been on our own, which is the way we like it. It would be good to have more service points and the recent interest from various bodies in providing overnight facilities is welcome. Aires can become overcrowded and sometimes not too pleasant. If we do get some in the UK it is likely to be same - as we found when visiting Clatteringshaws (Forestry & Land Scotland, Stay the Night), we did not stay but found a secluded spot nearby. So yes bring on the UK aires as long as this is not accompanied by even more of a crackdown on wild camping.

Deleted

Last edited:
We often choose NT car parks to sleep in, both remote cliff top ones and country house ones, and are sometimes joined by an assorted range of vans. We generally get there for the evening so we are ready to visit the property in the morning. Only questioned once, and then not a big deal. As a 'thank you' we generally litter pick the car park.

I imagine the NT will be looking very closely at developing camp sites within some of their properties, they’re not the fuddy duddy outfit some seem to think they are. Like many organisations relying on visitors, they’ll need all the income they can find. I imagine that they’ll offer a new level of membership that includes use of camping areas once this idea has been developed, or perhaps a discount for NT members.
It’ll be interesting to see how this develops, also to see how privately owned country estates perhaps start to look at how they can attract new avenues of income (from what is potentially quite small investment).
With the massive increase in MH ownership of recent I expect we may be on the cusp of a ‘golden age’ of motorhoming.... there again perhaps I’m just a sad old romantic!

About 20 years ago my colleague was seconded to the National Trust for Scotland for 5 years with the task of “bringing the NTS into the new era with the prime focus on increasing revenue”. He tried and tried but was met with the same response at every turn - our members wouldn’t like that! He suggested £1 increase on their best selling product (tea towels), he suggested golf courses on their large under-utilised properties, he suggested wedding venues, even allowing campervans to stay overnight etc. etc. The organisation just didn’t want to change for fear of upsetting all the existing members.
After 1 year my colleague gave up as he was just getting nowhere and returned to work with us - a win for us but a lose for NTS.
It is now encouraging to see some 20 years later that things may be changing, some properties have actually been offering themselves as wedding venues for a while now. Let’s keep our fingers crossed that change is in the air.

We stayed on their CL at Stourhead a couple on months ago, it was OK but just a bit of gravel thrown down for hardstandings, a tap and chemical disposal and there is EHU. I think £20 a night is a bit steep though. Especially when you canasta on their large car park for £10, so next time I will do that then drive onto the CL the fill up with water and empty the cassette.

We've stayed overnight on the odd RSPB carpark and as members dont feel any shame in doing so. We have never been asked to leave. We did make the mistake once of asking if it would be OK and were told it was not permitted. Better to ask forgiveness than permission ;)
K

Hello, is there a data sheet of the places that the NT allows overnight stays in the Lake District? Thanks in advance.

We stayed on their CL at Stourhead a couple on months ago, it was OK but just a bit of gravel thrown down for hardstandings, a tap and chemical disposal and there is EHU. I think £20 a night is a bit steep though. Especially when you canasta on their large car park for £10, so next time I will do that then drive onto the CL the fill up with water and empty the cassette.
Was going to say that’s a lot of money for a night in gravel but then noticed it included EHU. Too much for me but don’t suppose it’s bad compared to some sites. I think £10 to stay on a car park is too expensive but a lot will pay that willingly, I will be in the lay-by down the road 👍

About 20 years ago my colleague was seconded to the National Trust for Scotland for 5 years with the task of “bringing the NTS into the new era with the prime focus on increasing revenue”. He tried and tried but was met with the same response at every turn - our members wouldn’t like that! He suggested £1 increase on their best selling product (tea towels), he suggested golf courses on their large under-utilised properties, he suggested wedding venues, even allowing campervans to stay overnight etc. etc. The organisation just didn’t want to change for fear of upsetting all the existing members.
After 1 year my colleague gave up as he was just getting nowhere and returned to work with us - a win for us but a lose for NTS.
It is now encouraging to see some 20 years later that things may be changing, some properties have actually been offering themselves as wedding venues for a while now. Let’s keep our fingers crossed that change is in the air.
NTS seems much more progressive these days. I would encourage all members to do as I've done, and push the idea of night stays with them. How can it harm?

We are not happy with the NT's position on allowing trail hunting on their land so don't go out of our way to support them tbh.

We are not happy with the NT's position on allowing trail hunting on their land so don't go out of our way to support them tbh.
I thought trail hunting was instead of killing animals. Are there particular problems that I am not aware of? I am open to an explanation.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back