Navpal Sat Nav

I have never been comfortable with my Garmin Camper 770 ltm d. it doesn’t cope very well when required to find an alternative route, and you can never be sure if it using the best route for you, or just having a laugh!
At times when you have to divert, it spends valuable time insisting that you turn around instead of finding a decent alternative route.
On our recent gadabout to the Algarve, I became convinced that Garmin didn’t even know the first thing about Portugal!
I’ve ordered a 7”Navpal (with Bluetooth and European not World Mapping), out of interest, to see if I can get on any better with it. I need something that I feel able to rely on. Fingers crossed!

be interested to read experiences (both)
My tomTom is car only so low brided etc aa hazard.
However i can upload many sets of 3rd party poI s
I would not get any device without this feature
Does NavPal have an upload feature ?

Haven’t received it yet, but the model that I have ordered is certainly able to upload POIs.
We’ll just have to see how we get on. 👍
There are two 7” versions. One with World Mapping but no Bluetooth, and one with European Mapping and Bluetooth, which is the one I’m waiting for, not that I’m going anywhere at the moment!

Thanks Rog,
The bluetooth is likely to suit me.
I do not want one until May so happy to wait and see.

Will report back. In the past, I have always used Garmin, and I bought the 770 because I could update it while it was still in the van, on the drive, using the house modem, a simple press of a button. But operation-wise it was unreliable.
When we were away, I occasionally mounted the iPad on the dashboard as well as the Garmin, just to see which routes they would select. The Garmin would take you off a motorway...... and then bring you back on again. It was very lucky it didn’t end up out of the window! The iPad was quite sensible and reliable but there is no way to programme in height, length, weight etc and therefore suitable roads could not be guaranteed.

Will report back. In the past, I have always used Garmin, and I bought the 770 because I could update it while it was still in the van, on the drive, using the house modem, a simple press of a button. But operation-wise it was unreliable.
When we were away, I occasionally mounted the iPad on the dashboard as well as the Garmin, just to see which routes they would select. The Garmin would take you off a motorway...... and then bring you back on again. It was very lucky it didn’t end up out of the window! The iPad was quite sensible and reliable but there is no way to programme in height, length, weight etc and therefore suitable roads could not be guaranteed.
You're lucky Roger, ours refused to accept that Portugal even existed (as well as France and Spain too) following an update before we left and it was not until we were at Mikkis Place that we met a fellow member with the skills to sort it out. So I await your verdict with baited breasts

I kind of get the impression nowadays that Garmin are riding on a previously good name and are sacrificing reliability and quality for fast and easy profits.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back