NC 500 anyone?

We did it last August/September and the views were magnificent and used WildCamping spots from the app on Route500
image.jpeg image.jpeg

NC500 is gobsmackingly awesome and changes with the seasons. This last summer was was spectacular and made some of the previous spots we visited so much more spectacular.

And yes, really nice trike. I am very jealous.

We did it last Apr/may to avoid midges, went anticlockwise, had a great time, loved it, but since then we've heard tales of nightmare overcrowding in the summer months not helped by novice motorhomers in hired vehicles. Choose your time wisely, be prepared to leave the main route, have a great time !

Firefox

NC 500 has been very bad for touring. What campsites there are, are overcrowded Off road places closed, height barriers, restrictions etc. Much harder than it used to be. I wouldn't shed a tear if they scrapped the whole thing. It was easy enough to find your way around without them naming the road.

runnach

NC 500 has been very bad for touring. What campsites there are, are overcrowded Off road places closed, height barriers, restrictions etc. Much harder than it used to be. I wouldn't shed a tear if they scrapped the whole thing. It was easy enough to find your way around without them naming the road.
This all came about by some marketing gadgie at Visit Scotland. There is no doubt the creation has been a great success, with many issues now unfolding, however, many locals are realising the problems and are doing what they can to reduce any negative impact, which will take time.

You can't scrap a route, you can scrap the name, though.

Firefox

Beforehand, bits of it were named, like the Wester Ross Way for example. But the marketing and hype was not silly. The infrastructure has now not progressed with the marketing.

However, part of the attraction is that it's unspoilt and developing the infrastructure may not be desirable. There is some company that was selling membership of the "NC 500 club" A typical thing Americans would buy. You get a T shirt and a map and some more tat. But this company pays nothing towards providing say rubbish bins. Some would say "why should they." It shows how third party activity is not related to conditions in the field.

runnach

Beforehand, bits of it were named, like the Wester Ross Way for example. But the marketing and hype was not silly. The infrastructure has now not progressed with the marketing.

However, part of the attraction is that it's unspoilt and developing the infrastructure may not be desirable. There is some company that was selling membership of the "NC 500 club" A typical thing Americans would buy. You get a T shirt and a map and some more tat. But this company pays nothing towards providing say rubbish bins. Some would say "why should they." It shows how third party activity is not related to conditions in the field.
I guess Visit Scotland should have copyright the brand name, so others couldn't cash in on brand name!

The laird

Rally Organiser
We’ve decided it’s the 500 ,Lewis etc for us this year ,wary about going abroad due to family circumstances

https://www.northcoast500.com

They may be affiliated to Visit Scotland or the Highland Councils in some way, but they certainly don't make that clear on the site. It just looks like a commercial set up :D
Ah, that logo is the one used from the start. My take, a group of businesses (one stop shop) putting themselves out there to show potential tourists what is on offer and, where to stay, what to see, not everyone using the 500 route do so in a motorhome.

We’ve decided it’s the 500 ,Lewis etc for us this year ,wary about going abroad due to family circumstances
If doing the Hebs, Gordon, I would recommend Oban to Barra, basically bottom to top, then Stornoway to Ullapool. Where you can pick up the 500 keeping to the west coast going doon, if you wish?

The laird

Rally Organiser
Yeah that’s what was thinking ,maybe even get a ferry hopper ticket ? Would like to see merv and Gladys again (brandyman)

I have seen a massive difference with the promotion of the NC500 people camping in passing places was just one of the many, we came off track as much as possible and visited the small villages that were taking the hit, it's such a shame, I'm very reluctant to go back, me thinks exploring the borders will be a better option

If doing the Hebs, Gordon, I would recommend Oban to Barra, basically bottom to top, then Stornoway to Ullapool. Where you can pick up the 500 keeping to the west coast going doon, if you wish?
We did similar a couple of years ago but after Ullapool continued clockwise round NC500. We chose going over to the Hebs because we know the mainland Oban to Ullapool stretch like the back of our hand. We think it was a good decision as the Hebrides were fantastic.

Kyran

I think it should be named the nc 1500 we did it in august this year and yes it has got a lot more commercial but that means more places are open when we need feeding or fuel. so many little nooks and crannies to look at too. we wildcamped to whole way round took two weeks. rushed the last bit as was getting too close to school starting.

I think it should be named the nc 1500 we did it in august this year and yes it has got a lot more commercial but that means more places are open when we need feeding or fuel. so many little nooks and crannies to look at too. we wildcamped to whole way round took two weeks. rushed the last bit as was getting too close to school starting.
Every cloud..........eh!!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)