New Relion Lithium

nabsim

Not sure if people have seen the new Relion Insight range of LiFePo4 batteries due for release or not yet. Been looking through all the blurb but not sure what the difference is between these and the RB100’s apart from 25% more cost.

If you haven’t seen them yet have a look here Relion Insight

I’m like you very intrigued by lithium batteries and have came to the conclusions It would be nice to have them but do I need them right now and dose the way I use my van justify having them. I’m getting bye ok on my two 95amp varta batteries I’ve had a look at other people’s set ups on the lithium and it suits them and there needs for boiling electric kettles microwaves 12v fridges loads of stuff charging they need and use more and need to store more. It will be something I’m more than likely to do in the future when the Vartas pack in. My slow fit solar and efoy for back up seem to be doing just fine for now. O the difference I think is one is blue and square and the other one is blue and rectangular. ?

They have switchable voltage (12, 24, 36, 48), canbus monitoring allowing larger installs and they use prismatic cells. Other than that they are a higher capacity.
Can you see any advantage to these for motorhome habitation battery though Phil that would justify the difference in price? I saw the canbus monitoring but that isn’t any use to the average motorhome user doing a refit is it? Same with the parallel connections unless you want to run 240v from your hab bank without an investor (if that’s possible)

Lol Wully, I am thinking along the same lines. Thinking I should have one of the RB100’s and see if they do what they say they will. I reckon I am running around 100ah a day when using heating as well so would be a good test. Just can’t justify pulling the 3 Bosch Powerframes before I kill them and spending that much at present.

It has come close a couple of times though lol

I really like them and the advantages I keep going to alpha batteries web site put two in the basket then don’t have the balls to follow it through ? just got away with buying the efoy without her asking too much about the cost but she’s now my book keeper a very bad move me thinks. Hope the guy who owns alpha batteries needs his roof fixed soon.?

Can you see any advantage to these for motorhome habitation battery though Phil that would justify the difference in price? I saw the canbus monitoring but that isn’t any use to the average motorhome user doing a refit is it? Same with the parallel connections unless you want to run 240v from your hab bank without an investor (if that’s possible)
The only benefit I can think of is getting an exact core temp for low temp charge cut out. For now, we are relying on a Bluetooth dongle for the MPPT cutout and a temp controlled relay to disable B2B charging. This is not necessary if your batteries are going to stay above 0c or you only charge at 10% of the total bank capacity.

Last edited:
One of the new features appears to be that an existing lead acid charger can be used, do not need one with LiFePO4 profile. It implies that the BMS is capable of dealing with a range of voltages. The charge voltage has dropped to 14 (max 14.6) whereas before it was 14.6.

One of the new features appears to be that an existing lead acid charger can be used, do not need one with LiFePO4 profile. It implies that the BMS is capable of dealing with a range of voltages. The charge voltage has dropped to 14 (max 14.6) whereas before it was 14.6.

The RB100 has a recomended charging range of 14.2-14.6 but it suggested that banks are charged at 14v so I guess the normal RB100 is ok at 14v too.

Looks like the unit has a much better form of BMS, especially if it's being used in a bank. Would probably out preform the RB's if cell optimisation is improved the way they are describing. There's a couple if manufacturers of Li on the market adopting this type of improved BMS already!!!
Would be interesting to know how it behaves with alternator charging, especially with the Euro 6 Re-Gen issues :oops::oops:, if the claim of "standard production chargers" can still be used!!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back