New Self Builder - VW LT35 MWB Overlander Style

ChrisDunkley

Free Member

Based in the West Midlands, currently around half way through a full conversion into an overlander style Volkswagen LT35 MWB 2005, it has been a long journey but now focused on finishing it off. Have probably overspec'd alot of the build but have done it on a budget, met some awesome helpful people and found some good contacts.

Rough Spec:
- Kitchen: Dometic 80L Fridge, Thetford Triplex Hob/Oven, 600W Microwave
- Bathroom: Porta Potti, Outside Shower
- Interior: Larger Double Bed 175 x 200cm, 4 Seater Dinnette, Diesel Night Heater
- Exterior: Full Raptor Respray, Bespoke Roofrack (My Favourite Feature of the Van), Rear Mounted Rear Wheel, Underslung Gas Tank
- Electrical: 640W Solar, Victron 1600W Inverter, Victron MPPT's, Batteries TBC

Still a few things I'm planning, if anyone is interested in using some of the deals I found just drop me a message. Such as 25% off Victron Energy, 100AH Lithium for £450 etc.

Really enjoyed focusing on every detail to achieve the best possible result

Hi, welcome :D

If you become a full member, you will have access to our sister sites, Wildcamping and Motorhomebuilder.

The batteries are not Victron, currently debating between a few options on batteries. Good AGM (Northstar) vs Cheap Lithium (6000 Cycles at 50% DOD) vs Expensive Lithium

Are you checking the weight of your conversion as you go along? that could be the decider to going to Lithium :)

I have the Northstar Lead-Carbon batteries in my LT LWB and they are not light - got a trio at 71Kg each! But I don't have a payload issue as mine is the 4600kg version.

I absolutely agree weight is a big factor, the van was weighed before I started the conversion and I have kept a rough log as I've been going on. Currently aiming for
400AH if AGM
Weight (Total): 138kg, Cost (Total): £1000, Life: 2050 Cycles @ 50% DOD, Dimensions (Total): 560mm (L) x 252mm (W) x 328mm (H)

vs
300AH if lithium
Weight (Total): 40kg, Cost (Total): £1500, Life: 4000 Cycles @ 75% DOD, Dimensions (Total): 516mm (L) x 328mm (W) x 220mm (H)

I think my concern is with cheaper lithium brands and some more expensive ones despite huge claims around life cycles there are few brands offering more than a 2 year warranty. Based on my research to get 300AH lithium with a 5 year warranty your looking at nearly £2500

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back