New Van - Titter Ye Not

shaunr68

Hi all. (posted on WC but thought I'd copy/paste here as well)

This is my new to me van, now dubbed "Frankia Howerd", a 2005 Frankia I650ED to be picked up in a few weeks time.

Seems colossal inside in comparison to my previous 4.8 metre coachbuilt. Space to swing a cat, something which my dog would approve of. I've driven a 6.4 metre Auto Trail all over the continent so am happy with the size, just never driven an A class before. It does feel much bigger but just something to get used to.

4 tonne on an Al-Ko chassis so masses of payload and storage between the floors. 150 litre fresh water tank

Huge drop down bed at the front and bunks at the rear over a small garage. Decent sized lounge. Proper oven, which was a deal breaker for me.

There is already a refillable gas system installed, 2x 11KG bottles with auto changeover valve and external fill point.

There are a couple of solar panels on the roof. Not sure of the wattage, they're not huge, perhaps 100w each. In a month or two after a shakedown trip to Scotland I'll add more, or replace them altogether with larger panels. I'd like 400-500w in total. My three 110Ah AGM batteries are being transplanted into the new MH.

There is a Snipe 2 automatic satellite antenna which will be getting torn off the roof and eBayed. I don't watch television, and am not having anything up there taking up valuable rooftop real estate which would be far better employed housing more solar.

After the brief Scotland trip I'm off to the continent to spend autumn and winter across France, Spain and Portugal. Then back to see family in March before going Scandinavia bound for 6 months next spring, hence the need for a decent payload. 6 months supplies amounts to 182 Fray Bentos pies!

Any other Frankia owners here?

Presumably on my next trip to Ireland I won't be able to use the Pembroke-Rosslare or Liverpool-Dublin crossings because Frankia goes to Holyhead?

I'll get me coat.

We have the same van albeit on an 02 plate so slightly different hab door. An A-class with bunks for the kids was a priority for us, looked for ages over here but they seem very rare so ended up getting ours from Germany last April. We absolutely love ours, really well built with loads of clever storage. I hope you enjoy yours as much.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back