Newbie for advice

Trevor Hobden

we are in our 70s and have just purchased a Autocruise Accent. we have been out for several day trips so far. a couple of questions. when do motorhomers start refilling their water on board. and the other thing I worry about is parking in supermarkets, ordinary car parks and at attractions (ie. stately homes etc ). my unit is only 6m so am I worrying about nothing? any other advice for newbies.

Hiya mate hope you're enjoying your new bus. Always a good idea to top up your tank every chance you get if you're using it regular, unless it is really cold & your tank is at risk of freezing. In that case i leave mine empty & rely on bottled water ( Asda-17p per 2litre bottle) so as to protect my tank/ pump from frost damage. 6m shouldn't be a problem in most carparks as long as you can find 2 spaces in a line to park in. I usually make sure I am filled up on supplies before I set off then find a supermarket somewhere quiet so parking my 7.7m bus is easier. I don't visit stately homes etc but imagine problems should only arise when busy. ....

Thanks for your answer GreggBear. cant wait to start exploring uk. it was the risk of freezing I was worried about cos I keep reading horror stories of damage to pipes etc

Hello Trevor, Welcome to the forum.

I drive a panel van too. When in car parks I try to find a space where I can reverse the rear overhang over the grass, and that often gets me in a single bay. I don't park directly adjacent another car as they may not be able to open their door. Once when someone parked with his passenger door adjacent my door I entered via the rear doors. 😀

I've found stately home parking staff very helpful, and also National Trust. Sometimes they direct me to coach spaces.

Even though my current van is lower than my previous coach built Auto-Trail, I still watch out for entrance barriers.

I always carry a couple of 5ltr cans of drinking water from home and as for filling the tank only keep it as full as we are likely to need no point in carry water that you'll not be using. Wipe plates etc clean before washing & Empty the grey when ever you can after a drive so as its well stirred and will take out any debris in the water

when filling up with fuel it is a good time top up the water

we have a short hose which is sufficient most of the time plus a 15l collapsible container and funnel for the rare times the hose won't reach. Have built up a collection of tap adaptors, particularly important when outside the UK.

second the cleaning plates idea, we use a spatula - no food wasted and dishes and pots clean to avoid the grey water tank getting smelly

We use a watering can as well
10 litres capacity x 3 most days

Yes parking in supermarkets can be tricky !

Same in council car-parks..If I take up 2 bays (lenghtways) I buy 2x tickets and put them with a note on an A5 clipboard behind the windscreen
AND I take a photo of said clipboard..Photo normally has a time and location stamp (just being cautious)
If there is a warden about check with them.
When travelling
1 Remember you are not in a car and also try not to drive too far
2 Unless a booked camp-site or the like have reserve options
3 If you do not like the look of somewhere..Move on
4 Try not to rush ! Average speed maybe 10mph less than if using a car.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back