Newbie here camping tyre question

Homer

Free Member

Hello all, I have a self build on a ducato 35 maxi base that I purchased from new, been running the continental vanco2 tyres 215 75 16 that came from the factory with no problem running 70psi rear 65psi front, the van is 6 years 30k now and had all the tyres changed to continental camper tyres..it's now driving all over the place, wandering around on the motorway constant veering off and a real pain to drive, checked wheel nut torques, had wheels rebalanced just in case and lowered tyre pressures etc, spoke with continental tech support and gave them axle weight s from mot 2 weeks back and they are saying run front and rear at 43psi😳 they look pretty flat at 70 psi! Anyway tried it still the same, nothing is wrong with steering, suspension etc this started as soon as the camper tyres were fitted..apart from ripping them off and going for a different brand anyone got any ideas...never driven anything this bad in my life..the previous vanco2 drove like a smooth car, thanks in advance

I would check if the tyres are fitted properly most tyres are multi directional some are not.

You could try moving the front wheels to the rear and rear to the front to see if the problem persists.

Agree with Snapster... mine is on Vanco2's and steady as a rock.
Its a 3.5T PVC van and I run on 60psi all round...
Do you have the correct tyre loading?
K ;)

Hello all, I have a self build on a ducato 35 maxi base that I purchased from new, been running the continental vanco2 tyres 215 75 16 that came from the factory with no problem running 70psi rear 65psi front, the van is 6 years 30k now and had all the tyres changed to continental camper tyres..it's now driving all over the place, wandering around on the motorway constant veering off and a real pain to drive, checked wheel nut torques, had wheels rebalanced just in case and lowered tyre pressures etc, spoke with continental tech support and gave them axle weight s from mot 2 weeks back and they are saying run front and rear at 43psi😳 they look pretty flat at 70 psi! Anyway tried it still the same, nothing is wrong with steering, suspension etc this started as soon as the camper tyres were fitted..apart from ripping them off and going for a different brand anyone got any ideas...never driven anything this bad in my life..the previous vanco2 drove like a smooth car, thanks in advance
Continental tech support are normally very good and know what they're talking about when it comes to tyre pressures for given loadings. I have always had discussions in bar rather than psi. Not knowing your axle loadings, I can't comment further.
Bear in mind that the tyre pressures should be based on your actual loadings, which may not be those that applied during the MOT! I base mine on fully loaded for touring, including full fuel, LPG and fresh water tanks and bikes on rack at rear, clothing, food and drink, etc. (obtained by weighing each axle and both axles on a weighbridge); my fresh water tank being at the front and grey water tank at the rear, I increase the rear tyre pressures to assume a full grey water tank.
You can find Continental's recommendations in their Technical Databook at https://blobs.continental-tires.com...c3266193/download-technical-databook-data.pdf
To find your tyres, I would guess that you will need to start looking around page 88; pages are best viewed in pairs, with the even-numbered page on the left-hand side. Pressures are shown in bar, not psi.

As others have said, have suspension and tracking checked in case something happened to them when the new tyres were fitted.

Just a question, why did you change the tyres from Continental Vanco2 to Continental Camper if the Vanco2's were performing so well?

I dont think new Vanco2's are still available ???
K ;)

Camper tyres are a bad choice. Fit proper commercial tyres rated for the vehicle and load, then go to a weighbridge that can weigh each.axle when the van is fully loaded. From that info and the tyres" load rating code and pressure at max load (both written on the tyre) calculate the correct pressures

thanks for the replies, the reason i went to the camper tyres is hopefully little more grip on wet grass..where i go fishing is a farm down a grass field in wales..if it rains while im there its touch and go if i cant get back out, had in the past had to resort to going up in reverse with the tyre pressures reduced to 15 psi..and that was borderline getting out with the incline, mud, grass and cow poo, loved the vanco2 tyres but they dont make them now, anyway had the suspension and steering checked today, re balanced by another garage and still the same, good year cargos ordered and being fitted tomorrow..had these before on an iveco base no probs and sending the campers back, will post back tomorrow hopefully with good news fingers crossed, i have been in contact with the tech support who advised me to run 43 psi all round(n)

thanks for the replies, the reason i went to the camper tyres is hopefully little more grip on wet grass..where i go fishing is a farm down a grass field in wales..if it rains while im there its touch and go if i cant get back out, had in the past had to resort to going up in reverse with the tyre pressures reduced to 15 psi..and that was borderline getting out with the incline, mud, grass and cow poo, loved the vanco2 tyres but they dont make them now, anyway had the suspension and steering checked today, re balanced by another garage and still the same, good year cargos ordered and being fitted tomorrow..had these before on an iveco base no probs and sending the campers back, will post back tomorrow hopefully with good news fingers crossed, i have been in contact with the tech support who advised me to run 43 psi all round(n)
Some years ago, I upgraded from Vanco to Vanco Campers, which I found perfectly satisfactory except on wet grass. I have recently gone for Michelin Agilis Cross-Climate, which I find very good, with a more aggressive tread.

Well had Goodyear cargos fitted today, 50 miles of motorway and A road test..perfect drives like a car again, what a complete waste of time and money fitting the camper tyres has been 🙄 they are going back to continental under warranty and if no problems are found then will be a not fit for purpose claim 👍

Just related to this...

We had a blow out on the M6 last week and yesterday now we are back home, I took the wheel in to get a new tyre fitted. As it is only 1 tyre I kept it the same as the other one - A Michelin Agilis CP tyre.

I asked the chap running the tyre depot to fill it to 55psi which is what I run all the others on (we have a 6 wheel TAG axle MH) and he said not to. We had a decent conversation and he strongly advised me to run them all at 70psi which is their maximum. He claimed it would not affect the ride plus they would wear better. They were designed to be run at such levels of pressure. he did explain the technical reasons regarding the ply etc etc but most of that passed me by :LOL:

Given that he owns the place plus has the contract to provide tyres for AAA Caravans and Motorhomes (a large dealer in Carmarthen) I guess he knows what he is on about but I'd like to hear folk's views on this.

I have decided to follow his advice and give it a go for our next trip. I should be able to compare after a decent run.

Will do. What thread was it on?

Ah yes...seen it now - ta
thumb_up.gif

While on the subject of tyres. Mine will be due changing soon. I need to go from Continental VancoCamper to one with M+S three peaks. Been looking at the Mitchelin all season. Anyone got a better solution?
From memory 215/70/R15

I had 2x Agilis CrossClimates fitted last spring and have just ordered 2 more ready for winter. Kwikfit have a promotion on Michelins just now. TBH when I was deciding initially there appeared to be little difference among any of the all season brands. One thing though, with any tyre shop, it's worth checking before you go that they have high pressure valves in stock and, subsequently, that they actually fit them. Nearly got caught on that one once.

Regarding pressures, I run with what it says on the door pillar of my PVC which gives me a smooth ride, even wear and no overheating.

I just checked all 6 of mine and all were at 70Psi already (the max for the tyre). I double checked with a second gauge too and it was correct.

As I'm happy with the ride and the tyre wear, I'll keep them at that now.

The max pressure marked on a tyre is not the maximum pressure it can be safely inflated to: it's the pressure it should be at when carrying its maximum rated load.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back