Nice stopovers i Sweden

Öland is beautiful, the regional flower is the Cowslip and many fields are covered in them. One Aire I stayed at had so many wild orchids growing that it was impossible to drive without crushing some, even though I walked a route to try to avoid them.
BUT beware of the large , more than 4,000 site holiday campsites! delightful the first days they are open in the year for washing machines etc when only 22 people were there. Hell on earth when full. They feature in a TV show with all the activities and competitions. I don't stay then.

In Sweden they find the word wild camping offensive , I cant remember why but it is true , they call it Free camping in their Country

Yes, I haave posted before (on th name change thread) That "Wild" can be interpreted as unruly etc
NZ use "freedom" some nere use "off-grid"
We did not use any "full camping sites" but used several paid areas with minimal but useful services
Thes often included a fire-pit and "shed type kitchen"
The scenery in Norway is stunning but Sweden has the edge on camping !

Met a lovely couple + daft dog last year. From Gotland.

was that Peggy, David & Alfred ? :)
No! Hakan, Viveca and a black spoodle. Spaniel poodle cross. No not a Shih Tzu / Jack Russel cross. I’ll not spoil Wully’s only joke.😬

In Sweden they find the word wild camping offensive , I cant remember why but it is true , they call it Free camping in their Country
A Rose by any name , we Wild camped all over Sweden, so easy, Denmark , and Norway too , Stelplatz in Germany some Aires in Holland , Belgium and of course France , and that was our trip to Norway and back, fantastic trip.

In northern Sweden you can find places to stand overnight everywhere. In southern Sweden it is a little more restrictive. Especially on the west coast where they are a little less motorhome friendly. The E6 from Malmö to Strömstad is the most crime-ridden road in Sweden. There are leagues ravaging here and breaking into cars coming from the ferries Germany and the Öresund Bridge. Those driving to the north bring a healthy Kitty. I avoid E6, heavy traffic hectic driving, prefer smaller roads with fewer trucks. The east coast also has better weather less rain.

In northern Sweden you can find places to stand overnight everywhere. In southern Sweden it is a little more restrictive. Especially on the west coast where they are a little less motorhome friendly. The E6 from Malmö to Strömstad is the most crime-ridden road in Sweden. There are leagues ravaging here and breaking into cars coming from the ferries Germany and the Öresund Bridge. Those driving to the north bring a healthy Kitty. I avoid E6, heavy traffic hectic driving, prefer smaller roads with fewer trucks. The east coast also has better weather less rain.
Got to be done. One day. SOON 🥺

We love Sweden, and Finland and Norway. We've been 3 times,last couple of times for 8 weeks each time. Very rarely paid for camping. Never had problems finding water or toilet empty points.A lot of picnic places had all facilities. There are some aires but we mainly wild camped.
Wish we could go back soon.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back