No bake cakes for the van!

Rec

Apricot chewy cakes
Just found a recipe which is quick, needs no baking and makes a really nice little cakes. Will be making these in the van. Lots of variations too. Another one used lemon juice and lemon zest instead of apricot (80g butter)
Today's batch made 30 cakes, each about size of a big walnut
Crush 200g plain biscuits ( I used Marie bit like rich tea, but digestive would be ok)
Add 50g coconut & 200g chopped dried apricots
Stir in 125g butter melted with 80g brown sugar and 200g condensed milk

Forms a slightly sticky lump. Put in fridge for about 20 mins then form into balls and roll in coconut
OR
Press into a lined Swiss roll tin, sprinkle with coconut, and then refrigerate for 20 mins cut into squares

Keep in fridge for 3-5 days.

Has anyone else got favourite no bake sweet treats?

Last edited:
Just as an extra note...discovered these freeze really well and can be eaten almost straight from there ( about ten minutes) . Great for limiting intake as don't feel I have to eat them all within five days!

Haven't done it in the van but a rocky road type recipe could work in van fridge as well which it sounds like yours is. The choccy boozy one I brought to Hereford New year a couple of years ago was one

Think there is a rocky road recipe on the website....keep forgetting to buy marshmallows.

Haven't done it in the van but a rocky road type recipe could work in van fridge as well which it sounds like yours is. The choccy boozy one I brought to Hereford New year a couple of years ago was one
I remember that chocolatey boozy one you brought to Hereford, I moved seats four times and wore a different hat when you were handing it out by the campfire :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Hope you're keeping well.

Regards,
Del

Last edited:
When is a no baked cake not a no baked cake?

I make a fruit cake infused with alcohol in our small slow cooker when on EHU.
Generally eaten with a slab of cheddar.
The boss has extra thick cream while it is still warm.

Godammit ...we are on diets.. why did I look at this thread???!! :LOL:

Its a shame about not sharing. I've got 2 un iced Christmas cakes left one of which has marzipan on. Had hoped to offload onto unsuspecting fellow motorhomers. Not too bad with stilton

Reactions: Rec
When is a no baked cake not a no baked cake?

I make a fruit cake infused with alcohol in our small slow cooker when on EHU.
Generally eaten with a slab of cheddar.
The boss has extra thick cream while it is still warm.
Recipe of fruit cake please

Recipe of fruit cake please
1 kg mixed fruit (I add a packet of glacé cherries or half a jar of sour cherriesin syrup)

* 2 cups chocolate milk (take the cherry syrup in to account if used)

* 1/2 - 3/4 cup spiced rum(my preference)

* 2 cups self-raising flour

Soak fruit in milk & rum for 24 hours. Sometimes I don't want the fruit fully swollen and greatly reduce the soak time.

Heat up the slow cooker on high for 30 minutes

Add the batter stirring every 5 - 10 minutes for the first 40 to stop the fruit settling.
Leave for 7 hours or so.

Remember to line the pot with baking parchment and a tea towel under the lid to absorb steam and condensation.

Serve with a smile and the wind in your hair with the sun high in the blue open sky.
Or cream etc.

1 kg mixed fruit (I add a packet of glacé cherries or half a jar of sour cherriesin syrup)

Soak fruit in milk & rum for 24 hours. Sometimes I don't want the fruit fully swollen and greatly reduce the soak time.

Add the batter stirring every 5 - 10 minutes for the first 40 to stop the fruit settling.
Leave for 7 hours or so.

Remember to line the pot with baking parchment and a tea towel under the lid to absorb steam and condensation.

Serve with a smile and the wind in your hair with the sun high in the blue open sky.
Or cream etc.
Hi Sean, tryed your recipe but got the cooking bit wrong ,put it on mark 2 and Like Alfred I bunt the out side of the cake but the middle is great thanks,Peter.

• Sad
Hi Sean, tryed your recipe but got the cooking bit wrong ,put it on mark 2 and Like Alfred I bunt the out side of the cake but the middle is great thanks,Peter.
I have just re-read and I have missed mentioning reduce to minimum after 30 minutes on high.

• Sad
Why is it not possible to share cake, please? :unsure:
Or other foodstuffs.

People have been eating and drinking from takeaway outlets right the way through since first lockdown.
Is it something to do with it being "homemade", therefore not guaranteed to be as 'covid safe' as commercially provided food?
Is there even such a thing as "covid safe food"?! I've don't know of any 'guidelines' on this front, but then I don't work in commercial catering.

Bit of a daft differentiator, imo.
I would think that as long as you haven't spit, sneezed or done any other horrible unhygienic things around the food item(s) in question they should be as safe as commercially bought cake.

Just wondered... anyone with any answers....? 🤷‍♀️

I have check on .Gov and cannot find anything about sharing food. Only handling food that others may eat requires covid ppe addressing.
I will try your cake. NBCD suit will only be an option 😅

Leave for 7 hours or so.

Or cream etc.
Got the bit on high for 30 mins. Do I keep it on high for 40 mins? Then this bit - leave for 7 hours or so, on what setting?

Got the bit on high for 30 mins. Do I keep it on high for 40 mins? Then this bit - leave for 7 hours or so, on what setting?
Pre-heat 30
Initial cook 40
Time, I am learning, depends on the make of cooker and is from around 4 hours. Test as always with skewer.

I have just made a toblerone cake the same way with a soggy dark chocolate centre. We ate it straight out of the pot with extra thick cream 😋

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back