No more Visas for Turkey...

Effective second of March, which suits us as we will get there about the 16th. I let some of other motorhomers know … Grey Gappers… But they had already bought their visas!

Calais to Istanbul 1800 miles
Calais to Algeciras 1400 miles then a ferry

Turkey the new Morocco.
It is a huge country with lots to see and do without going east of Cappadocia

I have travelled in both Morocco and Turkey.
Both good but as is posted in #4...
Turkey a huge holiday destination (eg the now defunct Thomas Cook)
One could argue against travel to many many countries for a whole range of reasons..Spain and Italy in Western Europe and a lot of Eastern European Countries, the Balkans etc etc

Also planning Armenia Georgia and Azerbaijan this trip, so will go east ...
Morocco will be winter 2020.
We will give you our informed opinion after this!
l

Nor are a couple of the Balkan countries.

Turkey is much more pleasant than Morocco. In three months there, not one scam or rip-off or carpet seller or requests for all my worldly possessions or corrupt police. Can't say the same about Morocco

And the whole country is officially wild-camping friendly.

Lots of entries on iOverlander now so easy to find a spot. There were two entries when we arrived, 60 or 70 when we left and now hundreds.

Hard to pick a favourite but if you want to camp among hundreds of balloons AND amazing scenery, this is the soit

"
Goreme Balloon Launch site

38.65158, 34.84205

Category: Wild Camping

Quiet overnight spot, but maybe very hectic in the morning if they launch the balloons from this spot. If that happens, then you get to see over a 100 balloons in the air. Best seen from one of the ridges so you have a 360 view Great views and no dogs and very peaceful once the tourists have retreated to the town. All facilities available in town about 1km away.

Last Visited: 7/28/2019 "

DSCF5657.JPG

That is us, and there were lots of balloons taking off from that cleared area

DSCF5601.JPG

Last edited:
Reply to Tony Lee
Yes Tony, I have toured Turkey x2
No 1 in 1993 with "Exodus travels" a small group tour (12peeps) and it was great,
Istanbul, Aspendos, Kalkan, Goreme, Dalyan/Dalaman, Pamukkale, Istanbul.

No 2 with Nida,
Fly and hire cars Goreme, Konya, Kalkan, Dalaman.
Again very good.

Maybe Moho in 2022 ?

We have toured Turkey and Morocco with the moho too which is why i mentioned the visa situation.
I would say that Turkey is the best country we have visited for wildcamping, even better than Greece which saying something. Friendly and welcoming people, especially when away from the tourist areas. Plenty of public toillets so no probs emptying the loo which can sometimes be a challenge in Greece.
If only it were a bit closer we would go more often.

Pete

Hi PJ.
I have looked at going to Turkey with our van, I would be interested to know which route you traveled?
Many thanks.
Ken

Hi Ken,
We travelled from Calais into Belgium, Lux, France via Nancy, Epinal into Switzerland at Basle, into Italy at Como to Ancona, ferry across to Igoumenitsa, then across Northern Greece to the border at Ipsala.

A log of our trip is hosted on the excellent magbaz website for more specific info, its a few years ago so info about tolls and visas etc will obviously be out of date...

Pete

Hi Pete.
Many thanks for your information, this will now give me the base to work out a route, your trip has made fantastic reading and once again many thanks indeed. Ken

This was an official publication regarding camping in Turkey. Getting a bit old now, but from all accounts nothing has changedP1080814cE.jpgP1080815cE.jpg

Dated 2006., is this still accurately representative ?

Printed in 2006 so could have been written much earlier.

Was about 3 years ago. Had a couple of interactions with the Jandama (sp?) security forces way over near Iran, who were a bit concerned about our choice of camping spot so suggested better ones and guided us there. Couple of times we ended up on private land and the owners came by and were happy for us to stay.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back