Northern England trip

GMJ

We are planning a northern trip in September. The idea started as we both remember Its a Knockout from the 70's and the exotic sounding places folks came from: Scarborough, Filey, Bridlington and Whitby...so we thought we'd put a trip together to visit these places (albeit briefly) and then head elsewhere.

The outline plan is...

- York (2/3 nights): we have been before but not to the Yorvik Centre nor the Rail Museum

- Yorkshire coast visiting said It's a Knockout places. We'll either stop somewhere convenient and use the bus to get around or do some 2 night stops at places so we can visit. I'm guessing that there could be an element of tired seaside town about them but never mind. We have been to Whitby before but this time wasn't a site closer to town as we had to bus in...and it was raining too!

- Northumberland: I used to live there so will try and get up the coast to Amble; Alnwick; Lindisfarne; and Berwick. Planning on at least a week.

- Cumbria/Lakes: Another week here at somewhere in/near a town and on a lake!

- Blackpool: I keep threatening to take Mrs GMJ so this time I will! She says the lights are worth seeing.

- Liverpool: never been as a tourist (just when on business before I was a teacher, and then only to factories on the edge)

I am happy to get any info/advice on sites and places to visit before I start my own research.

TIA :)

Thanks - I'll take a look :)

Thanks

Is it walkable across to the island from there?

Thanks

Is it walkable across to the island from there?
Its just under 3 miles from the site to the main part of Lindisfarne. The only issue with walking is that dependant on the tides you might not get long on the island before you need to get back to avoid being cut off. We used our bikes but you could also drive on if tide times are suitable, there is plenty of parking.

Reactions: GMJ
Thanks

We have bikes so no issue there. Presumably you push them across the causeway or is it rideable on a roadbike? Is there somewhere to lock them up on the island then?

When you say there is plenty of parking, our MH is 8.8m long. Would we struggle?

Thanks again

You can ride across, I think we found a lamp post or road sign to use for locking .......
View of the causeway, its a metalled road, just tricky places where sand has washed across.
1BAAB806-16B4-45C1-983C-45582D09FE8E.jpeg1BAAB806-16B4-45C1-983C-45582D09FE8E.jpeg

Thats great info - many thanks
thumb_up.gif

Sorry, missed the Moho length point. There is a main car park at the entrance to the village where I think you should be ok …..

Thanks again - very useful.

If we do drive over we should be able to use our blue badge in the Coach car park by the looks of it. If coaches can get in there then we should be able to I guess :)

Hopefully we an cycle over but it depends on how confident Mrs GMJ is feeling on the day really, so its nice to have the driving option.

You have been a great help - its much appreciated
thumb_up.gif

We are planning a northern trip in September. The idea started as we both remember Its a Knockout from the 70's and the exotic sounding places folks came from: Scarborough, Filey, Bridlington and Whitby...so we thought we'd put a trip together to visit these places (albeit briefly) and then head elsewhere.

The outline plan is...

- York (2/3 nights): we have been before but not to the Yorvik Centre nor the Rail Museum

- Yorkshire coast visiting said It's a Knockout places. We'll either stop somewhere convenient and use the bus to get around or do some 2 night stops at places so we can visit. I'm guessing that there could be an element of tired seaside town about them but never mind. We have been to Whitby before but this time wasn't a site closer to town as we had to bus in...and it was raining too!

- Northumberland: I used to live there so will try and get up the coast to Amble; Alnwick; Lindisfarne; and Berwick. Planning on at least a week.

- Blackpool: I keep threatening to take Mrs GMJ so this time I will! She says the lights are worth seeing.

- Liverpool: never been as a tourist (just when on business before I was a teacher, and then only to factories on the edge)

I am happy to get any info/advice on sites and places to visit before I start my own research.

The Williamson Tunnels in Liverpool are meant to be an interesting visit if the weather isnt favourable. Cheap and something a bit different

As children, my aunt and uncle used to take my sister and I to Beal so that we could watch the tide rush in. Being children, we always hoped to see a car stuck on the bridge, with it's passengers trapped in the refuge box, shouting down the telephone.

There was almost always someone trapped. These days, people are generally more wary.

It's still interesting to stand on the road, facing the island, and turn to watch the sea rushing in behind you.

Don't forget the crab sandwiches in the pub, nor the seals off Emmanuel Point.

Went that way (Lindesfarne) a couple of days ago.
Handily they provide a place to pull in so you can check the tide times.
Not very handily, there were people just parked up there using it as a car park so it was impossible to stop to check the tide times.

So didn't know tide times and decided to just turn round and head to Bamburgh instead.
Lovely beach there....
(little dog at the end of the video was super cute 🐶 :D threw the big stick for him a couple of times later on)

And lots of Parking available
1625134023226.png

Ref the Yorvik Centre in York ... Went to that a couple of years ago and had read how interesting and good it was.
Guess depends what floats yer boat. We both found it pretty boring and tedious (I find going to museums interesting generally but that is not one I would ever go back to).

The York Dungeon was very good though and I did however find the Secret Nuclear Bunker most interesting - https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/york-cold-war-bunker/ (and funnily enough there was another visitor there who used to go work in one of these around 15 miles from where I live).
It is currently closed though (Covid I guess? maybe will reopen end of the month?)

In case I have to re-scope part of the trip due to places being rammed, can any of you folks recommend somewhere where we can drop anchor for a week or so in the North Pennines or Yorkshire Dales area? We'd need a site with bus stops to get around and preferable walkable into a nearby village/town with a pub, shop etc.

ta

We had a customer from Australia who when visiting us sent his family to explore Goldthorpe! We did worry they’d never be seen again, but on their return they thought it was wonderful. Even conversing with the locals. I needed an interpreter ;)

The outline plan is...

Make sure you book the railway museum in York. At least aweek before your visit

From another forum, Crosby Beach where the Anthony Gormley statues are on the sand, has a large and free parking area by the leisure centre. Trains into Liverpool from Blundell Sands station very frequent apparently.

Cheers

H

In case I have to re-scope part of the trip due to places being rammed, can any of you folks recommend somewhere where we can drop anchor for a week or so in the North Pennines or Yorkshire Dales area? We'd need a site with bus stops to get around and preferable walkable into a nearby village/town with a pub, shop etc.

ta
Green Dragon pub has an attached campsite, Beside Hardraw Force, ( Google it )
Just outside Hawes. There's a preserved railway and busses.

Should tick all your boxes.

Green Dragon pub has an attached campsite, Beside Hardraw Force, ( Google it )
Just outside Hawes. There's a preserved railway and busses.

Should tick all your boxes.
UK campsites website reckons the campsite is now closed. Possibly due to you know what.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back