Not a normal motorhome question, installing your own Home 30A charging point?

Millie Master

Not a normal motorhome question, but one for the electrical guru's of this wonderful place.

I will be buying a hybrid daily driver vehicle in the next few weeks and am looking to install a 32A wall charging hook up point, but with so many out there on the market and having as always a very tight budget, which one should I be looking for, or can I design and build my own socket device?

I will be signing up to a Octopus GO and so ideally I believe I will be needing some kind of timing function unless that is the new smart meter takes care of turning on the hook up point at 0030 hrs. and turns it off again at 0430 hrs.

Many thanks for your learned advice.

Sounds an interesting project.

However, for me, it is not an field I have ever looked at or plan on doing, so good luck and I will watch from a distance :)

If you are fb user you may find a group specific to electric vehicles and charging set ups.

Your electrical wholesale supplier will be able to supply the outlet and was informed there is a £500/£600 government incentive by the guys but you have to use an affiliated installer and guess what the installation price is within that region. Glad Christina got the idea of a hybrid out of her head.

I easily covered the cost of charge point (Rolec) and installation with the grants available a couple of years back but I do live in Scotland where we got an extra £500 on top of the Westminster government grant. Have you checked what grants are available?

You're not permitted to install them without a specific qualification.
Those damnable EU regs again, but I will do the work entirely myself and then I will get it rubber stamped by a fully authorised electrician, after all I have totally rewired 2 printing works/factories in former years and my 2 caravan sites and a house in France all of which I had rubber stamped after I had completed the work..... This saved me tens of thousands of £ & €

Those damnable EU regs again, but I will do the work entirely myself and then I will get it rubber stamped by a fully authorised electrician, after all I have totally rewired 2 printing works/factories in former years and my 2 caravan sites and a house in France all of which I had rubber stamped after I had completed the work..... This saved me tens of thousands of £ & €
I wired my workshop when I built it, fabricating sheeting and block work. I had to get a ten year check for insurance purposes it passed without any advisory. I weld and fabricate for a living. Jobs for the boys!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back