Odd things to do in a Transit?

Sorry Steve but I am a very religious man and I cannot put up with jokes about religion, and it was on a Mundi anyway.

For those who are too phiq to get it.

Sic transit gloria mundi

Sorry Steve but I am a very religious man and I cannot put up with jokes about religion, and it was on a Mundi anyway.
The purists would argue that 'transit' should be at the end of the sentence since Latin was written in the order of Subject, Obeject, Verb rather than Subject, Verb, Object, but the words can be written in any order to suit the scanning of the sentence [useful for those iambic pentameters] because Latin is based on suffixes rather than prefixes, so the final couple of letters tell you which case is being used [my Headmaster at Grammar School, RL Chambers, MA Oxon, LLB, was the co author of the then national Latin textbook, 'The Latin Way', which used to be 'amended' [vandalised] to 'The Eating way' or 'The Seating Sways' ...

The Headmaster was known as 'The Pot', and, despite his academic prowess, he did misjudge the potential of a pupil occasionally. He told one pupil that he would never get a job better than a dustman; and every time Led Zepelin had another hit, Robert Plant would send a copy to the Pot as a present ... :giggle:

Steve

Oh heck some bugger take his batteries out QUICK :D :D
I also studied Ancient Greek to O Level, Kev, because I thought it would be more useful than German ... Of course, had I taken German, I would have been able to read the product details in Lidl in German, instead of struggling with the switch from Ancient to modern Greek ... :giggle:

Today's Fun Fact [?]. Beta from Ancient Greek is pronounced as a 'V' in Modern Greek; so, if the Bible ['Biblos'] were written in Modern Greek, it would be the Vivlos ... Thought that might appeal to your religious sensibilities :oops:

Thursdays in my O Level year started with a double period of Latin, followed by double Greek, then single French. After lunch, we had a single period of English Language, and then we switched to hooligan mode and spent the rest of the afternoon with the Cadet Corps, firing .22 rifles and marching up and down. Might explain something about me :rolleyes:

Steve

You'd be ok in the Lidl Greek Week. :)
At my school there was a very distinct Language Hierarchy - Top Stream = Latin, 2nd Stream = German, 3rd Stream = French.
I can get the Latin bit as the school had pretentions of grandness for some reasons (Cricket in Summer, Rugby in Winter, never any Football!) but the reason for having German above French (or even the other way round) I don't know :unsure:
I found English the most useful language oddly enough and the English Teacher was very interesting, teaching us some very handy RAF Slang (from his time in the war as a Tail-end Charlie on Lancasters). I recall little of what I learnt (learned?) in the foreign language classes as school, but I still remember what "Shufti Bint" means :p

At my school there was a very distinct Language Hierarchy - Top Stream = Latin, 2nd Stream = German, 3rd Stream = French.
I can get the Latin bit as the school had pretentions of grandness for some reasons (Cricket in Summer, Rugby in Winter, never any Football!) but the reason for having German above French (or even the other way round) I don't know :unsure:
I found English the most useful language oddly enough and the English Teacher was very interesting, teaching us some very handy RAF Slang (from his time in the war as a Tail-end Charlie on Lancasters). I recall little of what I learnt (learned?) in the foreign language classes as school, but I still remember what "Shufti Bint" means :p
I used to go out with her, very accommodating lass she was too, always round the bike shed, odd really as she never smoked, might be because our headmaster said if he found anyone smoking he would assume they were on fire and put them out, So I didn't start smoking until I left school, stupid boy.

We had a much more unsystematic system! Year 1 was split between 1 Alpha [the clever lot ...] who would miss Year 2 and go straight to 3 Alpha and onwards, taking GCE O and A Level exams 1 year early. The rest of were split into 1A & 1B, the latter being in the relegation fight. I finished 28th or 29th out of 31 in 1B, so there was only really one way to go! I got a Form Prize in 2B and the following year, made it to 3A, remaining in the A stream for the final 3 years of my education. The Masters were a mixed bunch, but many were very skilled at getting truculent little $hit$ like me to work and they had some great sayings/tales to help you remember facts/processes et al: 'To construct a right angled triangle, drop a perpendicular, but do it quietly' There's 31 of you noisy Herberts and Biffo's got a headache; you have been warned ...'[Last words before the Board Rubber was launched...]

Steve

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back