Off Road tyres on an A class.

Admin

Administator

Ok first let me put on my tin hat!

I am considering having off road tyres fitted to my motorhome in the future. The reason for this is that I often have issues as I park on grass so much. With our British weather, you can never predict what the state of the ground will be. I love to wild camp but getting stuck with a van that weighs over 4000kgs is always a concern. I do carry a winch now, but I would rather not have to use it. I have found tyres that are the correct size and weight rating, the only downfall I can see is the increased road noise.

Something like these:

https://www.tyresdirectuk.co.uk/product/cooper-discoverer-stt-pro-225-75r16/

They look realy good and not that pricy pity you dident have a spare set of rims alloys make up a set of winter tyres. Might make a difference to your mpg and possibly handiling don’t think the road noise would be to much of an issue with a motorhome wae all the other crap rattling around in the background I’ll watch with interest.

Do you do so much roadwork that any increase in decibels will be too much to bear? As said above there’s normally plenty of other noise to put up with.

Do you do so much roadwork that any increase in decibels will be too much to bear? As said above there’s normally plenty of other noise to put up with.

I normally drive with the stereo on full blast!

Think you might be tightening up its n bobs all the time with the increased vibrations?maybe

I am considering having off road tyres fitted to my motorhome in the future. The reason for this is that I often have issues as I park on grass so much. With our British weather, you can never predict what the state of the ground will be. I love to wild camp but getting stuck with a van that weighs over 4000kgs is always a concern. I do carry a winch now, but I would rather not have to use it. I have found tyres that are the correct size and weight rating, the only downfall I can see is the increased road noise.

Something like these:

Firstly, for the kind of use you make of your motorhome it makes perfect sense to me. (y)
On my vans I am fairly often going to VW Festivals which involve driving in grass fields which are freshly cut as well (which makes life even harder).
On both my VW T4 and my VW T5 I ran SUV style Off-road tyres - Continental Cross-Contact ATs on the T4 and General Grabbers on the T5.

These are the cross-contacts and never lost any grip
imagejpg1-8 by David, on Flickr

For the tyres above on those vans, it made no difference at all to any road noise and the vehicle felt good, but they were a on-road/off-road mix use.
The tyres you have linked to look to be very highly orientated to off-road use and I wonder if those would be that suitable? As well as increased noise with that pattern, those tall blocks will move around a lot and could give a bit of a jittery ride at cruising speed?
The Coopers look pretty similar to the Goodrich BFGs which are quite popular on VWs for the looks but noise is a definate downside.

I would be inclined to look for a less aggressive tread pattern tyre with a more balance On/Off Road mix, but I know finding ones with the right load rating can be hard (I've been looking for ages myself for off-roaders and nearest I can find are slightly more aggressive than normal winters)

On the definate plus side , Tyres like the Cross-Contacts and General Grabbers seem to last forever! my Conties seemed to have as much tread on them when I sold them as when theuy were fitted. And I bought the GGs with 50,000 miles on them and still had 6mm of tread - and I sold them a year later for what I paid for them! The Coopers could have a similar bonus!

I’m ultra cautious about how and where I park, just in case of being unable to get out again, so they seem a sound option. How many people carry bread baskets or suchlike to lay down to act as tracks?

Cooper STT are a very highly regarded off road tyre. I had BF Goodrich KM2's on last van for a while, they are a bit noisier but not annoyingly so, and thats really only at speed.
Have BF Goodrich AT on current van for number of reasons, just a good multi purpose tyre. Wet grass is most tyres nemesis, and I'd say having a quality tyre that you can air down safely, is worth more than differences in tread pattern. I happily air down to 1 bar if needed, although that needs to be done with great care with traction control systems, which I don't have. AT's are good for 65000 miles plus too.

Something like these:

The additional information lists them for “Mud” and “Summer”, wouldn’t you want them to cover winter coditions as well?

I really like the General Grabber X3 tyres, they have great reviews and lower road noise.

Phil just go for winter tyres they have the same property’s for getting you off grass as they do for snow
And they will be quieter and less vibration than big chunkys
I found out off your stuck just drop your tyre pressures a lot this makes the tyre wider and will often drive out without doing anything else

Phil just go for winter tyres they have the same property’s for getting you off grass as they do for snow
And they will be quieter and less vibration than big chunkys
I found out off your stuck just drop your tyre pressures a lot this makes the tyre wider and will often drive out without doing anything else

The tyres I have are camping tyres so they are mud and snow rated, The tread is just not aggressive enough.

mud and snow rated are not winter tyres they are all season the tread is a lot softer in winter tyres

But if I was you I would go for the general grabbers because they will look dead sexy on your truck ?

But if I was you I would go for the general grabbers because they will look dead sexy on your truck ?

Yes, I know, but I don't want anyone to think I am being vain :)

I think it will be the grabbers.

I have done 16000 miles on my current Michelins and I am not going to wait until they have low tread before replacing them.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back