Off to Mull... virtually

Vanterrier

Well I am setting off for a few days on and around the Isle of Mull leaving about now... 6pm. Filled up with cheap diesel and LPG on the way to carlisle before tootling up the old A74 which runs alongside the M74 north through Moffat joining the M74 just before steering right through Glasgow missing the heavy rush hour traffic as its now 6.05pm. Cross the Erskine Bridge and hug the coast through Helensburgh and up Loch Long. Next comes Inverary and a lovely run down to lochgilphead and a meandering road past the Crinan Canal, always good for a wild here, but not tonight...
Dropping into Oban just in time to get straight on the Ferry with no queues for a change as its now 6.10pm.
The crossing to Craignure is smooth as silk and takes no time at all... look it still only 6.12pm.
Off the Ferry and a short drive to our favourite wild spot on Mull. Been there many times and only once ever before had to share with another van so sorry but its our secret ;)
Set up and kettle on, have a quick cup of tea before having a short stroll to stretch the legs. Looking forward to the sunset and tucking up in our bunks after a wee dram as its still only 6.15pm.
Looking forward to touring around the Island tomorrow.
Night night, sweet dreams of travelling.
Its now 6.16pm;) and I feel better for that...
K.

Well I am setting off for a few days on and around the Isle of Mull leaving about now... 6pm. Filled up with cheap diesel and LPG on the way to carlisle before tootling up the old A74 which runs alongside the M74 north through Moffat joining the M74 just before steering right through Glasgow missing the heavy rush hour traffic as its now 6.05pm. Cross the Erskine Bridge and hug the coast through Helensburgh and up Loch Long. Next comes Inverary and a lovely run down to lochgilphead and a meandering road past the Crinan Canal, always good for a wild here, but not tonight...
Dropping into Oban just in time to get straight on the Ferry with no queues for a change as its now 6.10pm.
The crossing to Craignure is smooth as silk and takes no time at all... look it still only 6.12pm.
Off the Ferry and a short drive to our favourite wild spot on Mull. Been there many times and only once ever before had to share with another van so sorry but its our secret ;)
Set up and kettle on, have a quick cup of tea before having a short stroll to stretch the legs. Looking forward to the sunset and tucking up in our bunks after a wee dram as its still only 6.15pm.
Looking forward to touring around the Island tomorrow.
Night night, sweet dreams of travelling.
Its now 6.16pm;) and I feel better for that...
K.
And then you woke up! Can't beat a nice afternoon nap.

Unbelievers...
So a nice drive to Fionphort with no oncoming traffic on the single track road for a change, nip over to Iona for a walk to the north end of the Island and back past the Abbey listening for Corncrakes and cross back over on an empty ferry for lunch. Then a slow drive back following the spectacular coastline to Gruline to wildcamp on the shore or machair. White tailed eagles all over the place and Otters in the Loch. Lovely sunset later I imagine. Another day "virtually" alone ;)
Busy day tomorrow so an early night tonight
Stay Safe
K ;)

Unbelievers...
So a nice drive to Fionphort with no oncoming traffic on the single track road for a change, nip over to Iona for a walk to the north end of the Island and back past the Abbey listening for Corncrakes and cross back over on an empty ferry for lunch. Then a slow drive back following the spectacular coastline to Gruline to wildcamp on the shore or machair. White tailed eagles all over the place and Otters in the Loch. Lovely sunset later I imagine. Another day "virtually" alone ;)
Busy day tomorrow so an early night tonight
Stay Safe
K ;)
We wish, too🤣🤣

A nice late start today and again on virtually empty roads. A short drive to the Ulva ferry, changing the signal board to say we want to cross and the ferryman was there in a jiffy. Seafood lunch at the excellent cafe on Ulva followed by a meander around the almost empty Island lanes.
Back over by ferry to rejoin our van and drive up the scenic west coast road past the normally busy Calgarry, empty today, around to Dervaig and up and over the twisty hills to Tobermory, or Balamory if you have Grandkids. A nice wander around the shops on the bay ending with Fish and Chips from the van on the pier.
Finished tea just in time for the ferry over to Ardnamurchan. Another smooth crossing and the only ones on the ferry.
Disembarking at Kilchoan and a short drive up past the campsite to the road-end for an elevated wild camp with excellent views of Mull across the sound.
Have a wee dram before the sunset.
Ahhh... another virtually perfect day and its only 5.15 !!!
Fuel consumption has been superb on this trip too 🤔
K ;)

Last edited:
A nice late start today and again on virtually empty roads. A short drive to the Ulva ferry, changing the signal board to say we want to cross and the ferryman was there in a jiffy. Seafood lunch at the excellent cafe on Ulva followed by a meander around the almost empty Island lanes.
Back over by ferry to rejoin our van and drive up the scenic west coast road past the normally busy Calgarry, empty today, around to Dervaig and up and over the twisty hills to Tobermory, or Balamory if you have Grandkids. A nice wander around the shops on the bay ending with Fish and Chips from the van on the pier.
Finished tea just in time for the ferry over to Ardnamurchan. Another smooth crossing and the only ones on the ferry.
Disembarking at Kilchoan and a short drive up past the campsite to the road-end for an elevated wild camp with excellent views of Mull across the sound.
Have a wee dram before the sunset.
Ahhh... another virtually perfect day and its only 5.15 !!!
Fuel consumption has been superb on this trip too 🤔
K ;)
I’m saving every word. It’s where we’re off to as soon as the brakes come off to continue our interrupted trip abandoned in March.

Another virtually isolated day starting with a trip out to the Ardnamurchan lighthouse, the most westerly of mainland Britain and fine views out to sea. Another short drive and we are in Sanna with its magnificent beach with no-one in sight. After lunch a slow drive along the peninsular road and the greatest surprise for those of you who have not seen the new ( since 2014) Ardnamurchan Distillery. They are hoping to release a single malt in 2021... i can hardly wait and will be back for that.
At Salen turn right towards Fort William resisting the urge to head further north to Mallaig. Pass the campsite at Sunart and through Strontian to reach the short ferry crossing to Corran.
Turn South and over the bridge at Ballachulish and onto the normally busy A82 past Glencoe village into Glecoe itself. Take a short excursion into Glen Etive down the narrow road to Loch Etive to see the sun setting.
Return to Glencoe with care in the fading light and head for another wild camp near the Kings House Hotel where a couple of Guinnesses in the walkers bar sets us up for a quiet night. Watch the Deer when walking back to the van before turning in.
Another lovely day in my mind...
K ;)

Another virtually isolated day starting with a trip out to the Ardnamurchan lighthouse, the most westerly of mainland Britain and fine views out to sea. Another short drive and we are in Sanna with its magnificent beach with no-one in sight. After lunch a slow drive along the peninsular road and the greatest surprise for those of you who have not seen the new ( since 2014) Ardnamurchan Distillery. They are hoping to release a single malt in 2021... i can hardly wait and will be back for that.
At Salen turn right towards Fort William resisting the urge to head further north to Mallaig. Pass the campsite at Sunart and through Strontian to reach the short ferry crossing to Corran.
Turn South and over the bridge at Ballachulish and onto the normally busy A82 past Glencoe village into Glecoe itself. Take a short excursion into Glen Etive down the narrow road to Loch Etive to see the sun setting.
Return to Glencoe with care in the fading light and head for another wild camp near the Kings House Hotel where a couple of Guinnesses in the walkers bar sets us up for a quiet night. Watch the Deer when walking back to the van before turning in.
Another lovely day in my mind...
K ;)
Stop making me drool!

Final leg and late too, not setting off until 8.10. Waking up to the sight of Buchaille Etive Mor was splendid and I did consider a quick traverse of the Northern Buttress before lunch but then thought Nah;) a nice dawdle across Ranoch moor and instead of heading south at Crianlarich we continued to Killin to have a look at the Falls of Dochart. Continuing South through Callendar we ignored the signs for the Trossachs and kept south until we got to the Kelpies for a look around the deserted canalside. On to the Falkirk Wheel for a few more photos before pressing on.
Rather than take the main routes home we cut across country to Peebles and Innerleithen the through the borders past Hawick and over Carter Bar down the A68 before turning off for home.
So, here we are back safe and sound and nobody even missed us.
A great little tour to refresh the mind and kind of scratch an itch.
Cant wait for the real thing. I hope you enjoyed following us.
Until next time... ( and its only 8.25!)
K ;)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back