One time bargain

Exwindsurfer

Decided to sell my Nokian snow tyres. I think they have only done about 6000 miles. They are on a set of galvanised 15” Citroen Relay wheels, so they will never rust. The tyre size is 225/70/15 in. When I bought the tyres they were £105 each and I had the wheels sandblasted and galvanised. I will accept £100.tyre rating is 114 to 116 .3DF70AB5-6858-4436-945F-2E4BCDE804AF.jpeg8EDFBCAC-5F04-474B-BD50-75AEC66BE43B.jpeg

Is that £100 for the 4, how old & where are they

Nokia making tyres now ?
That does not ring true.
Are they PAYG.?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wondering if snow tyres are worth the bother, I know Germany insist on them in Winter and that is all I know about them , I don't imagine they give much more grip in Ice than normal tyres or am I wrong, I had to use Snow Chains one trip to Spain in winter crossing via Andorra, one off use of the chains that I had to buy at the time, £100 for 4 seems a bargain, I am just about to get 2 new front tyres for my van and am expecting to pay around £120 each ?? I have Continental Vanco tyres 215 / 70 / 15 on the van at the moment and will get the same again, they have been on the van for 6 years and still hive reasonable tread after 35000 miles but I think my tracking is out after the bumpy ride through Northern Portugal this year and one tyre is showing wear associated to tracking so I will get that fixed and 2 new tyres, the van is Sorned and uninsured in my garden at the moment so it will have to wait till I can start using it again soon I hope?? Can snow tyres be used year round in non snow conditions ?

Last edited by a moderator:
the term "snow tyres" is a bit misleading. These type of tyres should be referred to as "Winter Tyres" and they DO give better grip than normal tyres in temperaturess under 6C due to the different rubber compound.
If you were looking for new tyres and these are the right size (which they seem to be), then I would say they look a good deal (I would be interested myself but I need 6 tyres for my van and they are borderline load limt for me I think anyway).
You'll get charged for having your own tyres fitted, but depending on tyre place, should not really be more than £5 a tyre if you go at the right time of day with some cash ;)

the term "snow tyres" is a bit misleading. These type of tyres should be referred to as "Winter Tyres" and they DO give better grip than normal tyres in temperaturess under 6C due to the different rubber compound.
If you were looking for new tyres and these are the right size (which they seem to be), then I would say they look a good deal (I would be interested myself but I need 6 tyres for my van and they are borderline load limt for me I think anyway).
You'll get charged for having your own tyres fitted, but depending on tyre place, should not really be more than £5 a tyre if you go at the right time of day with some cash ;)
Those tyres appear to include the wheels as well or have I read that incorrectly?

Just wondering if snow tyres are worth the bother,

Can snow tyres be used year round in non snow conditions ?
I had Hankook Winter tyres fitted all year round and they were brilliant in winter conditions, in the summer months touring France/Spain I didn't even notice they were winter tyres so I would not hesitate to use them all year again, my Insurance Company Saga recommend if you can only have one set of tyres to fit Winter tyres all year

These tyres are a bargain for someone, if I hadn't bought new tyres last year I would have snatched his hand off

Those tyres appear to include the wheels as well or have I read that incorrectly?
Yup, I think so (but they might not fit your vehicle, so have to get swapped. The tyres would fit MY van, but the wheels won't :) )

Just wondering if snow tyres are worth the bother, I know Germany insist on them in Winter and that is all I know about them , I don't imagine they give much more grip in Ice than normal tyres or am I wrong, I had to use Snow Chains one trip to Spain in winter crossing via Andorra, one off use of the chains that I had to buy at the time, £100 for 4 seems a bargain, I am just about to get 2 new front tyres for my van and am expecting to pay around £120 each ?? I have Continental Vanco tyres 215 / 70 / 15 on the van at the moment and will get the same again, they have been on the van for 6 years and still hive reasonable tread after 35000 miles but I think my tracking is out after the bumpy ride through Northern Portugal this year and one tyre is showing wear associated to tracking so I will get that fixed and 2 new tyres, the van is Sorned and uninsured in my garden at the moment so it will have to wait till I can start using it again soon I hope?? Can snow tyres be used year round in non snow conditions ?
I think you will find they would wear vey quickly.

Have you got a van to fit the wheels please
sorry to hijack the thread

Last edited:
I didn't notice the wear rate of my winter tyres being any different than my car in the summer to be honest,
I am inclined to go Winter Tyres when I next change mine.
They are meant to wear a bit faster due to the compound heating up more, but for the typical Motorhome user, a tyre will expire due to age-related cracks or just maximum age recommendations long before tread wear becomes an issue.
When you do the maths and look at the typical temps in the UK, bearing in mind times of day as well, you find that nearly half the year is actually below 6C in the northern half and not much better in the rest of the UK. In Scotland, if you switch between the Summer and Winter, you run Winters for at least 6 months of the year.
Winter Tyres also tend to have a more aggressive tread pattern than summer tyres which can be handy if parking up on grass.

I am inclined to go Winter Tyres when I next change mine.
They are meant to wear a bit faster due to the compound heating up more, but for the typical Motorhome user, a tyre will expire due to age-related cracks or just maximum age recommendations long before tread wear becomes an issue.
When you do the maths and look at the typical temps in the UK, bearing in mind times of day as well, you find that nearly half the year is actually below 6C in the northern half and not much better in the rest of the UK. In Scotland, if you switch between the Summer and Winter, you run Winters for at least 6 months of the year.
Winter Tyres also tend to have a more aggressive tread pattern than summer tyres which can be handy if parking up on grass.
I agree David, I have not had a problem on wet grass or mud since I started using winter tyres, my Hankook tyres were 5 or 6yrs old when I sold them with 6mm of tread still on them (for a lot more than Geoffs in this thread), I am not an aggressive driver so for me tyre wear is not a problem

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back