Optimum No Rinse

Jenrai

For those of us that like to keep our vehicles looking good but don't have access to a hose or jet wash and don't want to carry multiple bottles and cleaning gear I highly recommend Optimum No Rinse (ONR). Dilute in a bucket of water and wipe the vehicle then buff off. Many places to buy this but here is one I use: ONR

A couple of years old but for a very detailed review: ONR Review

I don’t even use a bucket of water these says.
waterless was, spray on , wipe with soft multi fibre cloth then buff with a second. Amazing results. Really shiny and polish finish builds up with continued use.😀😀

I don’t even use a bucket of water these says.
waterless was, spray on , wipe with soft multi fibre cloth then buff with a second. Amazing results. Really shiny and polish finish builds up with continued use.😀😀

Could I ask what make the one you use is? Do you have a link to it?

ta

Graham

Just be careful what you use on paintwork like a panel van for example because you can end up adding swirl marks.

Yes I agree.

All these products have their place but unless you get dirt/grit off first in some way, all you risk doing is rubbing it into your paintwork. That's why proper car detailers usually use a snow lance to lift as much dirt as possible before hosing the snow away. Then they use the 2 bucket method to clean...using straight lines only and not circles.

I would never use any of these products on my car UNLESS it had been completely cleaned first...in which case I would then wax it.

On the MH I'd be less fussy tbh given that it inevitably it gets scratches from bushes etc when on the move anyway (especially round here with narrow roads).

Graham

All shine I use, it really is great stuff.
I agree if there is really heavy dirt I will rinse it off round wheel arches/ sills but this stuff does lift and remove general grime.
£17 for two litres that comes on a 5 litre container for you to dilute.
Try it and see if you don’t agree!!!
Others are available on teleshopping or most supermarkets some branded Williams as in F1 racing team, who developed this stuff I think!!!

The problem I have is that if you lift dirt and grit onto your cloth and you then use it on the vehicle you will be grinding that dirt and grit back in. That is why one should always use the two bucket method to clean vehicles: one bucket with a grit guard in it for rinsing your mitt; the other for lathering.

I have no doubt that the product will give you a shine it is just that the method used is flawed.

Don't take my word for it please look at any detailing site. I used to do a bit myself so know a little about this.

When I detailed, after the wash I would then clay the vehicle to remove grit that was ingrained into the paint (it happens) prior to then polishing (if required, as this in itself removes paint) and then finally sealing it.

Graham

Last edited:
My vehicles have won many concourse awards and my opinion is that the likes of Greased Lightning are fine provided that they are used with caution of the possibilities of swirling.

I do use it with caution Bill, if I am parked up in the middle of nowhere and water is in short supply I remove the dust and dirt with a bucket of water then use greased lightning, the van looks as if it has been waxed and polished and stays looking clean longer, my van is 19yrs old now and shines when I wash it at home and it has no swirl marks, I don't use it on my cars because there is no need

Reactions: 2cv
If used on already clean vehicles and used in straight lines (rather than circles) with frequent changes of microfibre cloth, then yes, they can bring out the shine. I wouldn't dispute that. I have seen them used myself at concourse d'elegance events however those cars were exceptionally clean already.

It's the getting to the clean vehicle part first that is vital.

As I say, for a MH I would be less worried given the rigours that they go through but imho it is vital that any vehicle is clean first or you will rub grit into it causing scratching.

Graham

May I ask why?

Because when you spray the waterless polish on to a dirty vehicle, it doesn’t make the dirt, grit, and grime disappear it just loosen it, so then you get your cloth to remove and polish, but at the same time you are rubbing the grit etc around your paint work.
You wouldn’t pick up a handful of dirt off the floor and start rubbing the paint work with it would you

I believe the theory is that spray lifts the dirt and micro-fibre cloths wipe it away and hold it inside, not on the surface. Rinse cloths regularly.
All I can say is it seems to work with least effort.
I can understand your technical views of washing waxing principles which I always thought made sense. As said I will always wash off heavy dirt first.
I was persuaded by new products when a relative who takes great pride in his BMW started using it and he is a very knowledgeable and careful chap!!!

Because when you spray the waterless polish on to a dirty vehicle, it doesn’t make the dirt, grit, and grime disappear it just loosen it, so then you get your cloth to remove and polish, but at the same time you are rubbing the grit etc around your paint work.
You wouldn’t pick up a handful of dirt off the floor and start rubbing the paint work with it would you

I agree with what you are saying, it sounds counter intuitive. I would perhaps not use it on heavily soiled but the product contains polymers which lubricate the dirt to prevent swirling so after say a couple of days driving it has real results. If you always have access to a hose/jetwash then like you I would probably never use it.

If grit/dirt gets onto your microfibre cloth you will be rubbing that grit/dirt into your paintwork...whatever the marketing men say or whatever the careful bloke down the road says!. Think about it...it make sense: the grit/dirt has to go somewhere!

These lubricants will always lift crud and clean the car...of course they will (even a damp rag will lift crud). BUT the action of doing so will inevitably scratch the surface of the paintwork. It can't do anything else ...the grit/dirt has to go somewhere. Just the action of doing one wipe across the paintwork will scratch it: any dirt you pick up at the start of the wipe will scratch across to the end of the wipe. Yes it might be micro scratching but its scratching all the same. There are no magic micro fibre towels that hide the dirt and no magic spray on solutions that can do this either!

As I said in one of my posts above - do some research look at independent car detailing sites. Many of them provide free commentary on how to properly clean a vehicle.

Personally on my car (not my MH)

- I rinse the car with the hose to loosen any dirt and wash it away
- Use 2 buckets: one with a grit guard to rinse my mitt, the other to lather
- I then rinse and use at least 2 large clean micro fibre towels (preferably more) to dry...folding in from the edge and turning them. Then changing them.

I seldom polish as this in itself takes of a layer of paint. I also don't bother to wax these days as my posh car days are over so its only the daily driver.

As I also said in a post above, I think these sprays have their place but the vehicle needs to be uber clean first or you will scratch it.

Graham

If grit/dirt gets onto your microfibre cloth you will be rubbing that grit/dirt into your paintwork...whatever the marketing men say or whatever the careful bloke down the road says!. Think about it...it make sense: the grit/dirt has to go somewhere!

These lubricants will always lift crud and clean the car...of course they will (even a damp rag will lift crud). BUT the action of doing so will inevitably scratch the surface of the paintwork. It can't do anything else ...the grit/dirt has to go somewhere. Just the action of doing one wipe across the paintwork will scratch it: any dirt you pick up at the start of the wipe will scratch across to the end of the wipe. Yes it might be micro scratching but its scratching all the same. There are no magic micro fibre towels that hide the dirt and no magic spray on solutions that can do this either!

As I said in one of my posts above - do some research look at independent car detailing sites. Many of them provide free commentary on how to properly clean a vehicle.

Personally on my car (not my MH)

- I rinse the car with the hose to loosen any dirt and wash it away
- Use 2 buckets: one with a grit guard to rinse my mitt, the other to lather
- I then rinse and use at least 2 large clean micro fibre towels (preferably more) to dry...folding in from the edge and turning them. Then changing them.

I seldom polish as this in itself takes of a layer of paint. I also don't bother to wax these days as my posh car days are over so its only the daily driver.

As I also said in a post above, I think these sprays have their place but the vehicle needs to be uber clean first or you will scratch it.

Graham

Well a couple of things really. Firstly watch the video from the op. Secondly this is the method I use.

You really need the following as a minimum:
1: Pre wash with a power washer
2: Apply APC to whole vehicle
3: Apply snow foam with power washer
4: Rinse again with power washer
5: Two bucket wash
6: APC and detailing brush to clean grill etc
7: APC and brush on wheels, wash, rinse and apply wheel cleaner agitate then rinse again.
8: Vehicle towel dry
9: Apply tar remover to paintwork wipe dry
10: Apply fallout remover
11: Power rinse vehicle
12: Towel dry
13: Clar bar
14: Machine polish
15 Machine/ hand wax

Well a couple of things really. Firstly watch the video from the op. Secondly this is the method I use.

You really need the following as a minimum:
1: Pre wash with a power washer
2: Apply APC to whole vehicle
3: Apply snow foam with power washer
4: Rinse again with power washer
5: Two bucket wash
6: APC and detailing brush to clean grill etc
7: APC and brush on wheels, wash, rinse and apply wheel cleaner agitate then rinse again.
8: Vehicle towel dry
9: Apply tar remover to paintwork wipe dry
10: Apply fallout remover
11: Power rinse vehicle
12: Towel dry
13: Clar bar
14: Machine polish
15 Machine/ hand wax
I use the same method but I finish it off with a full respray (y)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back