Our Beast, Murky

SquirrellCook

Just to frighten some and make other laugh or cry I thought I'd introduce "Murky" This is a very long work in progress. We've concentrated on safety and functionality over Paint. No point in wasting paint until the panels are prepped, and the structure underneath is sound. It does around 10 thousand miles a year mainly around Europe. We can live self sufficient for about a week, with the onboard features. Sadly we've decided to start a new project before ever finishing this one. So at some point we'd be looking for a new enthusiast to take it over.IMG_0407.JPG
Anita and Mark in Germany close to the Czech border.

Looks a very handy van there :)

"Anita and Mark"? Which one is the cat? Anita or Mark?

Why upgrade when you have what must be one of the best and longest lasting vans on the road.Sometimes I think we all get a bit to modern in our approach to camper vans .Here speaks one who has only just changed from a 1989. Fiat.

Just to frighten some and make other laugh or cry I thought I'd introduce "Murky" This is a very long work in progress. We've concentrated on safety and functionality over Paint. No point in wasting paint until the panels are prepped, and the structure underneath is sound. It does around 10 thousand miles a year mainly around Europe. We can live self sufficient for about a week, with the onboard features. Sadly we've decided to start a new project before ever finishing this one. So at some point we'd be looking for a new enthusiast to take it over.View attachment 44270
Anita and Mark in Germany close to the Czech border.

Lovely van can I ask is that your cat in the foreground?

atb Michael

Looks the business does that. You got one of my favourite vans there, hang onto it & enjoy. ?

Why upgrade when you have what must be one of the best and longest lasting vans on the road.Sometimes I think we all get a bit to modern in our approach to camper vans .Here speaks one who has only just changed from a 1989. Fiat.
Hello Topmast, We just fancied doing a new project. This one evolved, rather than being planned. We also have to work outside and struggle to find the time on the good days to do bodywork.

As Anita has cleaned up this area a little I'll show it. Murky has a rather large Boot space/Wet room. The chassis was dropped to take advantage of the normally lost space. The new area was lined in 1.5mm Zintec (rust resistant steel) Then panelled with 9.5mm marine ply on the floor with 6mm on the sides. This was sealed and lined with a vinyl floor covering. The outer side of the steel was insulated with 25mm celotex. Cassette toilet and shower fitted. Four drains, one in each corner. It didn't look too bad. The bed frame was a little too close to the back to give good head room, but we could live with that. Then some years later the floor became spongy! Oh yes, you know what has to be done :( Turns out Marine ply is not water proof! The first thought the flooring had leaked, but the culprit was found elsewhere. Leaks found and cured, the new lining was Buffalo Board. The stuff used for truck and trailer floors. This was joined and sealed with flexible epoxy resin. To date no more troubles, but after so much initial work we are a bit slow to finish the fitted of a new toilet. So the old one with some of it's mounting box is still in use. Sorry it's not an easy space to photograph.

IMG_E0524.JPGIMG_E0525.JPGIMG_E0526.JPG

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back