Our Environmental Impact......

I agree, Bill. Wind turbines and solar panels also have an environmental cost of installation and maintenance - as does pretty much all activity on the planet. But my feeling is that Britain is moving in the right direction with respect to energy production.
One of the most difficult to manage problems right now is probably how to bring Britain's ancient housing stock up to modern environmental standards so that all this lovely environmentally friendly energy isn't squandered.

Colin 🙂🙂🙂
This is probably were any real savings will be. As long as it’s done properly. The one thing we don’t want is another Grenfell.

Most of our electricity ( around 50%) is nuclear generated, the rest is provided by renewable energy ( wind turbines, biofuels and hydro)
I know a lot of people in the UK are against wind turbines and renewable energy generally, but I think that’s a lot to do with scaremongering about how inefficient they are and costly to build and maintain ( They are none of these)
But, one way to get people on side with these things is to enable people near to these renewable energy plants, to positively benefit from having them there.
I remember when they built the wind farms off the coast of Kent. Everybody could see them, we were all told about the benefits, but nobody’s electricity bill went down and people opposed any new installations nearby.
Here, if you live next to a wind farm or hydro electric power station, you generally get some financial benefits.
We have a hydro electric turbines and an LPG plant a few km away and we all get a substantial reduction in our council tax equivalent payments.
Our electricity prices are lower here too and EDF has just teamed up with Samsung, who are offering all EDF customers 20% off all their whole range of low power consumption goods.

We all get serious tax allowances on any home improvements that contribute to saving energy.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back