Paraffin Oven

StreetSleeper

Another one from my small collection of stoves. This one was made by Rippingille Lamp Company, designed for the market before town gas was available.

DSCN3324.JPG

Surprisingly, not a lot of room but you can cook a Sunday dinner on this apparatus; which I have done and I do mean meat and two veg.

DSCN3326.JPG

These lids are removed and you put your pot or kettle on top; if you're only using one, you can leave the other lid on.

DSCN3331.JPG

For more intense heat and providing your pot is small enough, you can put them inside. Unfortunately, over the years, one grate has disappeared.

DSCN3332.JPG

It is a two wick stove and the fumes go up the side and out through the holes in the top; surprisingly the food does not taste or smell of paraffin.

DSCN3333.JPG

Nice ornament to look at and it obviously was practical at some point. I have personally cooked with it but the food seemed to take forever to cook.

Rae

Badolki

What an interesting old device. It looks as if it would have been at home in a barge along with the decorated items usually seen there.

trevskoda

My whole life has been a hobbie,love the paraffin cooker and i have seen army petrol stoves.

Trotter

Ah.yes! The famous, or is it infamous, No2 burner. I've seen many a ACC with no eyebrows.

Old Man Down

Looks really interesting bit of kit Rae
Maybe you could convert into something say a Bluetooth speaker or something would obviously look great on an narrow boat

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)