Parked Up Aircraft

jagmanx

A bit like Windsor Castle when approaching LHR from High Wycombe / Maidenhead.
Does not taking off produce more noise and pollution..Quite properly they do not want to STALL ?
Over to Bill or is it Roger ? or Victor

2cv

Does not taking off produce more noise and pollution..Quite properly they do not want to STALL ?
Take off does produce more noise and pollution, but aircraft still only account for 2% of global co2 emissions, also modern aircraft are much quieter than the early jets. Hazy recollection but a 767 burns about 10 tons an hour climbing, 4.5 tons an hour cruising and 1 ton an hour descending.
Stalling refers to the airflow over the wing rather than anything to do with the engine.

runnach

Roger that :LOL:

Yeoblade

Likewise, we can hear the Glasgow aircraft normally but quiet as could be recently. Just took this screenshot. Just an RAF Hercules and a couple of Twin Otters to the islands.

View attachment 53713
Flightracker is interesting to look at, seeing we are all 'STAYING AT HOME' there a are an awful lot of planes up there if you look around Europe.
And private jets, guess it doesn't apply to some ;)

trevskoda

Take off does produce more noise and pollution, but aircraft still only account for 2% of global co2 emissions, also modern aircraft are much quieter than the early jets. Hazy recollection but a 767 burns about 10 tons an hour climbing, 4.5 tons an hour cruising and 1 ton an hour descending.
Stalling refers to the airflow over the wing rather than anything to do with the engine.
A turbine blade can stall on tight manouvers causing a flame out.

• Thank You
Reactions: 2cv

wildebus

Kind of off but on subject ... there was a discussion about Operation Black Buck - the Vulcan raid on the Falkland Islands.... I read that that raid consumed over 5,000,000 litres of fuel! sounds an incredible amount. How much would that be in tons? I guess 1000 litres in a ton (tonne)? so 5,000 tons of fuel on that raid?

bobj808

So daily flights all over the world cause the same pollution (2%) as all the computers (2%) in the world. Yet no guilt about using computers.

2cv

The specific gravity of jet fuel varies with temperature, but is usually just under 0.8 so 1000 litres is about 800 kg.
A vulcan burns just under 5000 kg per hour so in 16 hours round trip would burn about 80 tons. Therefore the two Vulcans burned about 160 tons.
If the tankers burned 50 tons each that’s another 600 tons so the total fuel would be 760 tons, just under 70000 litres.

Just an estimation and I may have got something wrong, but certainly not 5 million litres.

wildebus

The specific gravity of jet fuel varies with temperature, but is usually just under 0.8 so 1000 litres is about 800 kg.
A vulcan burns just under 5000 kg per hour so in 16 hours round trip would burn about 80 tons. Therefore the two Vulcans burned about 160 tons.
If the tankers burned 50 tons each that’s another 600 tons so the total fuel would be 760 tons, just under 70000 litres.

Just an estimation and I may have got something wrong, but certainly not 5 million litres.
it did seem an extraordinary large amount

HurricaneSmith

A like minded pal loaned me that book and I found it fascinating.

Not because of the mission's limited success, but by working together as a co-ordinate team the impossible became possible.

A great read.

debs

I used to see Loganair aircraft passing over, but they have all stopped now, but the other day I looked up because of the sound, and an RAF cargo plane come over very low and slow, with a very handsome pilot, on the flight path to land at Carlisle airport. Quite a spectacle.

Millie Master

I find it sad personally, this is what a devastated economy looks like and why it will take decades to recover from all this.
Decades? I honestly do believe it will be more like generations, if indeed ever!, with China being the only winner as they own the vast majority of the Worlds debt!