Parked Up Aircraft

wildebus

Not necessarily. The ideal descent into Edinburgh starts up to 150 miles away with the aim being to keep the engines idling until 1000 ft. With restrictions due to other aircraft or shortening of the route planned the ideal descent may need adjustment. With a longer route thrust must be added, but with a shorter route speedbrakes are needed to give greater drag if the aircraft is not to arrive too high or fast at the 1000 ft point.
So whilst they may be being naughty, probably you just happen to live in an area where drag is often needed on the approach.
I remember when I use to fly (passenger, not pilot!) from Heathrow to Manchester occasionally. The Air Stewardesses used to have to rush out with the trolley virtually before the wheels left the ground so they could finish the teas and get it locked away before the descent :)

2cv

I once flew Lhr Man late on a Saturday evening in the magnificent 757 with a light load. We managed 33000ft with atc cooperation, possibly the highest it’s ever been done. Often managed to eat a full breakfast on the route. 😀

HurricaneSmith

A couple of pictures from Bournemouth

View attachment 53753View attachment 53754
That's such a sad photo.

On a brighter note it's so much quieter here in East Sussex, I can hear the bees out foraging, blue tits are in one of our nesting boxes, and I've started cleaning the panes of our greenhouse.

There's light at the end of the tunnel.

Reactions: 2cv

Millie Master

I saw on Breakfast TV this morning that both Loganair and Bransonair are in serious financial difficulties which I suppose had to happen when considering any company that practices brinkmanship trading practices.

runnach

£3500 a day to park a widebodied aircraft at the cheapest places.
That is some serious wonga, Bill. Maybe the airports will wave these charges in light of the current pandemic, aye right!!

2cv

That is some serious wonga, Bill. Maybe the airports will wave these charges in light of the current pandemic, aye right!!
The sums add up quickly, £15000 a day to lease a 777 for example, and BA has 50 of them.

2cv

What on the earth would the daily rental be on an A380 ?
I looked it up and saw this reply:

Airbus A380's market price is $205 Million, and Airbus has been trying to make the A380 more attractive due to its lack of new customers or orders since 2013. Airbus leases its A380 for 0.9% of the aircrafts price per month, (or about $1.8 Million in 2015) if you sign a 6 to 9 year lease. The rate drops to 0.8% for 10+ year leases.

This suggests about £50000 per day.

However, they have not been a commercial success as they only work on certain routes and limited freight capacity so used examples are available and they are beginning to be broken for parts. The future when things get back to some sort of normal lies in very efficient twins like the A350 and B787.

2cv

I've travelled several times on a 380, and very nice it is to travel on. However I prefer the 787 because of the cleaner air along with better humidity and a lower cabin height.

2cv

A bit sad that they are being scrapped. It is rumoured that the Air France ones currently grounded by Covid 19 will not return to service,

jagmanx

Reading today.......
about all the Airplane services being hit as they are paid directly by the carrier not the airport
Paid on a pay as you go basis. Baggage Handlers and the like!
Then we have catering firms x 2
1 Airplane food caterers
2 Food outlets in the airport.
Also all the other airport shops (Boots Dixons WH Smith, and all the high-end "boutiques"

Massive hit all round ! and redundancies

I suspect when air travel "takes off" again prices will go "sky high"
Apologies (or not) for the puns, and sympathy for all those affected !
I suspect it is the "little people" such as shop assistants bar staff and restaurant staff who will suffer the most !
Maybe their employers will get government support to keep them on (even at lower pay and no bonuses/tips)

Last edited: