Parking our MH on grass

GMJ

Currently we park our MH at home on our gravel drive however this blocks out most of the view/light from our kitchen window. Therefore I'd like to move the MH along a bit however this would necessitate parking one end of it on grass.

My concern is that it will sink therefore I'd need to put something under the wheels to stop this happening. The 'belt and braces' way would be to hire a skip; excavate the area; dump 3 tonnes of hardcore in; hire a whacker; then dump a tonne of gravel on the top...but I'm not looking for that kind of job tbh.

I'm thinking of two tracks made up of those plastic egg crate type things like this...

https://www.matsgrids.co.uk/gravel-grids/107-gravel-reinforcement-5060423910121.html

... which can be filled with gravel but I am concerned that these may sink too!

The area is the grass bit in the attached photo.

IMG_1891 (1).JPG

Any ideas?

Thanks

Graham
smile.gif

if you do try it, I would suggest you keep the driving wheels on the gravel to help drive off.

If it's not the drive wheels that are going on grass, how about those egg crate things, or paving slab, perhaps two large slabs of natural stone like york? would still look good when vans not there if you are worried about that.
Just compact with a hand earth rammer.

When I stored the caravan at home I used paving slabs with no problem.

Did it weigh 5 tonnes?
hehe.gif

We have an A-T Comanche which is 4.15t unloaded and closer to 5t when togged up.

Graham
smile.gif

Thanks all

I am not too worried about the grass and I don't think it will affect the underside of the MH at all...unless something goes drastically wrong!!
smile.gif

I have 2 of the gravel grids on board (similar to the link I posted) on the MH at all times as I use them when we are parked on grass. I always park the drive wheels on them in case of rain during the night which would make the grass slippery.

My concern with backing on to the grids is that if it does sink then the front of the MH will be 'nose light' and it will not get good traction to get the rear off. Of course, putting the MH front on would put a great deal of weight on at least 2 of the gravel grids, thereby potentially making them sink.

It's a quandary!

A solution may be to lay the gravel grids and park our car on them for a few days to help them bed in. That way I can see how much they sink...

Graham
smile.gif

PS Luckily our car is a 4x4 so should be able to get off if it all goes 'Pete Tong'
smile.gif

If grass/ground is dry when u Park on grass. Likely to stay that way as covered by body of van. So will it sink that much???
Or use weight of van to press marring into the grass.

The ground will have a certain softness to it anyway at this time of year plus we do get a modicum of rain here in west Wales so the ground is liable to get soft quite quickly. With rain falling either side of the MH it will spread to the ground under the H naturally...

Graham
smile.gif

The only sure wayto prevent sinkage is to put a proper compacted sub base in first. You can then top that with plastic grid sections back filled with scalpings, otherwise it is guess work as to how soft your ground is when it’s wet and when it is not. My 3.5 tonne motorhome is parked on block pavers with a base of scalpings and bedding sand whch wasnt machine compacted at the time of laying. It has been a good few years now and doesn’t show any signs of sinkage.

Ive used them before and got them from screwfix (boxes of 20 400x400mm tiles £60 code 55689) may be more expensive but they were good quality and did the job, filed with bags of small pebbles from wickes

I'd go for two lines of paving slabs. There wil be a limit to how far they sink - and if it becomes necessary add another layer.

Thanks all

I'll give it some thought and let you know what I decide to do

Graham
smile.gif

Many years ago with an early Ducato, we used to park on grass in Lancashire, which is not a dry county. Clutch bearing rusted after 25000 miles or so, and the garage blamed damp from the grass. I was younger then, and believed them. It was out of warranty anyway.

There is no scientific evidence but corrosion from parking a vehicle on grass does seem to be accepted as a possibility Car Talk

Parking on grass will accelerate corrosion , commonly known . If I was going to park in such a place I would put down a impermeable membrane and put the grill on top of that to prevent blowing away .
I have what you need re not sinking , but they would be collection only https://tracmat.com/collections/frontpage/products/sand-ladders £20 the pair (less than half price ) . I am near J10 M40 (several pairs available) :)

Currently we park our MH at home on our gravel drive however this blocks out most of the view/light from our kitchen window. Therefore I'd like to move the MH along a bit however this would necessitate parking one end of it on grass.

My concern is that it will sink therefore I'd need to put something under the wheels to stop this happening. The 'belt and braces' way would be to hire a skip; excavate the area; dump 3 tonnes of hardcore in; hire a whacker; then dump a tonne of gravel on the top...but I'm not looking for that kind of job tbh.

I'm thinking of two tracks made up of those plastic egg crate type things like this...

https://www.matsgrids.co.uk/gravel-grids/107-gravel-reinforcement-5060423910121.html

... which can be filled with gravel but I am concerned that these may sink too!

The area is the grass bit in the attached photo.

View attachment 44274

Any ideas?

Thanks

Graham
smile.gif
If you can reverse in a straight line ? What about using old railway sleepers, you can't break them and they won't be able to sink much and they would be quick and easy to lay on the grass.

Update...

We got the MH back from the dealers today after having a bit of work done and the good news is that it fits down the side of our bungalow without the need to resort to parking on the grass. I trimmed a tree back of overhanging branches to facilitate this and ran it up to the edge of the grass. It now clears our kitchen window so we get our light and a view back!

Graham
smile.gif

I made four larger plywood square and treated with wood preserve, plywood came from a skip so cost nothing, these spread the load over the grass had now issue with sinking.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back