Pet owners who want to take their animals to the EU

Lorraine

Rally Organiser

Face having to make plans at least four months in advance if there is no Brexit deal.
This worst-case scenario is set out in the latest batch of government papers about planning for leaving the EU without a deal in place.
Currently pets can travel with their owners throughout the EU thanks to the pet passport scheme.
But without a Brexit deal, the UK will become a "third country".
At moment people can take their dogs, cats or ferrets from the UK to the EU and back again without quarantine using a pet passport, for which the animals need a rabies vaccination and a microchip.
EU chief negotiator Michel Barnier has previously said "the ability... of dogs and cats to cross the Channel" will be affected if the UK leaves the EU without a deal - a scenario both sides say they are keen to avoid.
According to the government's advice for pet-owners, the scale of checks required in a no-deal scenario will depend on which category the UK falls into.

Last edited:
Face having to make plans at least four months in advance if there is no Brexit deal.
This worst-case scenario is set out in the latest batch of government papers about planning for leaving the EU without a deal in place.
Currently pets can travel with their owners throughout the EU thanks to the pet passport scheme.
But without a Brexit deal, the UK will become a "third country".
At moment people can take their dogs, cats or ferrets from the UK to the EU and back again without quarantine using a pet passport, for which the animals need a rabies vaccination and a microchip.
EU chief negotiator Michel Barnier has previously said "the ability... of dogs and cats to cross the Channel" will be affected if the UK leaves the EU without a deal - a scenario both sides say they are keen to avoid.
According to the government's advice for pet-owners, the scale of checks required in a no-deal scenario will depend on which category the UK falls into.
Some of these could , and may , happen though I suspect the pet situation should be ok . Probably cost us more somewhere in the process !
Heading off in a week or two so no problem going over to France . Coming back nov/dec so basically the dog is the uk's concern . So from a personal point of view I don't anticipate any problems this trip

Some of these could , and may , happen though I suspect the pet situation should be ok . Probably cost us more somewhere in the process !
Heading off in a week or two so no problem going over to France . Coming back nov/dec so basically the dog is the uk's concern . So from a personal point of view I don't anticipate any problems this trip
However, in the case of a ‘no deal Brexit’, the UK may be treated as an unlisted country. This means that pet owners need too be ready for any possible scenario, especially if you are planning a journey within 4 months from the 29th March 2019.

We are leaving probably in 10 days time now, and picked up the pet health certificate yesterday. We are a bit tight on leaving the country as it has to be within 10 days but we may have some additional repairs done to our van. It is quite a serious weighty document. The vet got it verified by a colleague as obviously they don’t want any errors. They have to attach certified copies of the rabies blood tiger a test, the rabies jabs and the front page of the passport. More than one dog can go on each certificate. It cost us £80, but the vet said it shouldn’t really cost them 150 for the time it takes them.
Interestingly the vet made the point, that DEFRA will not guarantee that the health certificate will insure safe onward travels within Europe. Massive copout.

I’m trying to get out of the country for a delayed holiday, basically waiting for the all clear from the hospital in the next few days for my wife. As it’s all getting a bit stupid regarding B-day (yes, sounds like a French bumwasher, very apt) if we do manage to go I’ll ensure we return no later than Oct 31st I simply can not afford any worry with Molly. I’m getting her titer test done tomorrow as she had her rabies update jab 2 weeks ago and I don’t want to miss the 30 day deadline.

Of course, should BJ (almost another B-day name) actually manage to do something other than waffle, then it’s possible the concern about deal/no deal may not arise and I’ll stay a while longer. But France in November? May not be warm enough for me.

South of France can still be pleasant, but without using motorways it is a 3 day drive.
The lack of certainty is causing so much indecision for us too. Hope you get away soon.

We are leaving probably in 10 days time now, and picked up the pet health certificate yesterday. We are a bit tight on leaving the country as it has to be within 10 days but we may have some additional repairs done to our van. It is quite a serious weighty document. The vet got it verified by a colleague as obviously they don’t want any errors. They have to attach certified copies of the rabies blood tiger a test, the rabies jabs and the front page of the passport. More than one dog can go on each certificate. It cost us £80, but the vet said it shouldn’t really cost them 150 for the time it takes them.
Interestingly the vet made the point, that DEFRA will not guarantee that the health certificate will insure safe onward travels within Europe. Massive copout.
Why do you think that the health certificate is needed now? We are still in th EU.

I’m trying to get out of the country for a delayed holiday, basically waiting for the all clear from the hospital in the next few days for my wife. As it’s all getting a bit stupid regarding B-day (yes, sounds like a French bumwasher, very apt) if we do manage to go I’ll ensure we return no later than Oct 31st I simply can not afford any worry with Molly. I’m getting her titer test done tomorrow as she had her rabies update jab 2 weeks ago and I don’t want to miss the 30 day deadline.

Of course, should BJ (almost another B-day name) actually manage to do something other than waffle, then it’s possible the concern about deal/no deal may not arise and I’ll stay a while longer. But France in November? May not be warm enough for me.
We spent yesterday up to our eyeballs in our trip to Europe for this winter. If you leave before Brexit you are under the old rules returning to the Uk.( even if you return after brexit ) I actually called the government helpline for that I info ref our cat.
The vets are saying get blood tests but you need that four month window so we don’t have that time now so are leaving before Brexit. We have got a green card and international drivers licences just in case of a no deal.

Why do you think that the health certificate is needed now? We are still in th EU.

Your leaving before Brexit so no problem just keep your travel out documents ;) we didn’t trust just our vet so called government help line. If you travel before Brexit you are under old rules even on return should it be after Brexit ;)

We also found out blood test not needed for return into UK just for getting out for pets. And that’s if it’s a no deal ...

South of France can still be pleasant, but without using motorways it is a 3 day drive.
The lack of certainty is causing so much indecision for us too. Hope you get away soon.
Thanks K, it’s all getting rather tedious.

I arrived a few days too early, you can only have the titre test 30 days after the rabies jab, and up to 1 year after, but the Vet’s advice is to do it earlier as there will be more stronger antibodies to detect.

My decision, limited as it is, is if we manage to get away in a sensible timeframe we will plan to return by Oct 31st, unless there is good news to allow us to stay longer. And if the weather isn’t too inclement around SE France and Switzerland. I hope we can get away as I have a round of golf booked at the Ballesteros course at Crans sur Sierre mid October and I don’t want to have to cancel.

Thanks K, it’s all getting rather tedious.

I arrived a few days too early, you can only have the titre test 30 days after the rabies jab, and up to 1 year after, but the Vet’s advice is to do it earlier as there will be more stronger antibodies to detect.

My decision, limited as it is, is if we manage to get away in a sensible timeframe we will plan to return by Oct 31st, unless there is good news to allow us to stay longer. And if the weather isn’t too inclement around SE France and Switzerland. I hope we can get away as I have a round of golf booked at the Ballesteros course at Crans sur Sierre mid October and I don’t want to have to cancel.
Yes, oscar failed his titer test in crete and had to have another rabies jab after 18 months and then retested in UK. The tiger test bar for rabies us very high, but pets are still protected.
Might have known there was golf in your trip somewhere! If you're not near a golf course, do you get withdrawal symptoms? Carry a mini golf set?

We also found out blood test not needed for return into UK just for getting out for pets. And that’s if it’s a no deal ...
As I understand it, the health cert is needed for onward travel within the EU. DEFRA told me back in March that the pet passport was all that was required for reentry to the uk.

The bit about if you leave before Brexit meaning just the pet passport is ok is new to me. I'm a bit dubious as it is for travel within the EU that you need the health cert.

We are leaving before 31.10 and not returning for about 11 months. Don't want to take any chances, hence health cert. It is only valid for 4 months, so we will have to get it redone at some point with a vet for which every country we are in. That'll be fun!

This will be a first for me to travel with my golf clubs. We were watching the Omega Masters a couple of weeks ago and my wife suggested I go there for a round as a birthday present from her. It was my 65th last Sunday and I agreed only because I’m unlikely to ever get there to play again. Fingers crossed we’ll be able to go away.

As I understand it, the health cert is needed for onward travel within the EU. DEFRA told me back in March that the pet passport was all that was required for reentry to the uk.

The bit about if you leave before Brexit meaning just the pet passport is ok is new to me. I'm a bit dubious as it is for travel within the EU that you need the health cert.

We are leaving before 31.10 and not returning for about 11 months. Don't want to take any chances, hence health cert. It is only valid for 4 months, so we will have to get it redone at some point with a vet for which every country we are in. That'll be fun!

I have no doubts you will have a great journey and all of your precautions will be of benefit to your dogs. Have a great time.

It looks like onward travel between eu countries is covered for 4 months once the dog has entered the eu.

In your case yes you will need new certificates every 4 months, but for our 2 month trips (of any trips up to 4 months) the one cert will do regardless of how many borders are crossed.

When the certificate is valid for travel
Your animal must enter an EU country up to 10 days from the date the certificate is issued. It’s issued when it’s signed and dated by an official veterinarian.
The certificate can then be used for travel between EU countries (including the UK) for up to 4 months from the date your animal enters the EU. The rabies vaccination must be valid.

Source: https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...of-dogs-cats-and-ferrets-from-third-countries

Met a Canadian couple who keep their motorhome in the Netherlands and visit to tour europe twice a year and they say they have no trouble bringing their dog a large Poodle into Europe so should be no difference for us after B/D

Last edited:
My friend is coming over next week with his dog for 4 months if there is any problems' he is going to leave his dog and the motorhome with me, and fly back and come back when it is all sorted, He has to go back for a months work ,all this rubbish about you will only be able to stay for 90 days if the UK leave the E.U we have sorted that one out as well, with the help of my son.(y)

My friend is coming over next week with his dog for 4 months if there is any problems' he is going to leave his dog and the motorhome with me, and fly back and come back when it is all sorted, He has to go back for a months work ,all this rubbish about you will only be able to stay for 90 days if the UK leave the E.U we have sorted that one out as well, with the help of my son.(y)
So there will be no restriction on length of stay ?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back