Pets and ferries/chunnel

Rockburner

Pets and ferries/chunnel

As I understand it, pets on ferries have to live in the vehicle for the duration of the journey.

Does this include overnight trips? Seems a bit cruel to leave them in the hold for over 8 hours. (eg Portsmouth to Caen overnight).

I'm assuming because everyone stays in the vehicle on the Chunnel that it would be a lot less stress for the animal. (much as I hate the Chunnel).

We've only done Dover/Calais with these current dogs, and I like to book crossings for early morning or late evening as it's a bit cooler. However, we have 2 lurchers who can both go some 19 hours without peeing if it's raining and they refuse to move. They are also couch potatoes and will lie on our bed in the van, seemingly not moving for hours at a time, so I know the crossing and being left alone on noisy car decks doesn't stress them. I think it very much depends on your dog, and only you will know that.

Depends on the ferry operator and length of journey. Some ferry journeys say upto 2 hours you maybe able to leave your pet in the moho or there may be a pet friendly area on deck. Longer ferry journey operators usually require your pet to be housed in special kennels which you obviously have to pay extra for. There are I believe some long distance ferry operators that set aside a small number of pet friendly cabins again at extra cost and whch would require early booking due to demand. Chunnel is great, no checks on the way out and straightforward checks on the way back.

The longer/ overnight ferries now mainly have kennels or pet friendly cabins. I have used ferries where they stay in the van, kennels and a pet friendly cabin. The kennels are the most stressful - for the owner if not the dog- and the pet friendly cabin the least stressful. I would use any of them again as the tunnel is a detour for me.

LesleyKH;n13142 said:
We've only done Dover/Calais with these current dogs, and I like to book crossings for early morning or late evening as it's a bit cooler. However, we have 2 lurchers who can both go some 19 hours without peeing if it's raining and they refuse to move. They are also couch potatoes and will lie on our bed in the van, seemingly not moving for hours at a time, so I know the crossing and being left alone on noisy car decks doesn't stress them. I think it very much depends on your dog, and only you will know that.

Ours is a lurcher as well - laziest dog I've ever known!

We'll have to see what she's like in the van (should be fine, she's allegedly an ex-courser), but good to know about the pet-friendly cabins - would anyone know which companies operate those?

Got our 6 doggies booked on the tunnel for next Wednesday coming back to the uk...should be a blast at the pet centre in Calais,especially with the big lad Max,the karakachan:Loudly_Crying_Face_

My sister-in-lw has to book 6 months to a year ahead to get a pet friendly cabin on one of the routes to Spain.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back