Pets and the B word LATEST

jeffmossy

Rally Organiser

Well We have bit the bullet and booked Eurotunnel in July with our dog / This is the latest information from Eurotunnel and taking pets to Europe ....................................

• Dog owners will still be able to travel with their pets from the United Kingdom to European Union countries after the UK leaves the EU on 31st October 2019 and Eurotunnel will remain the preferred route for those travelling with their dog.
    While the precise ramifications of Brexit on pet passports have yet to be finalised, if the UK strikes a deal with the EU, the situation for travelling with Dogs after Brexit will not change.
    In the event of a No deal, however, the British government has issued advice on the measures that dogs owners might need to take before starting their journey.
    Should the UK become a third country there are three possible outcomes for pet travel. All the information you need can be found on the Gov.uk website
    Essentially, there are three options:
    Listed - Part 1
    Should the UK become Part 1 listed country, the rules on pet travel will barely alter from the current system - the existing timescales and health preparations in place under the EUPTS will remain virtually unchanged
    Listed - Part 2
    If the UK is given Part 2 listed status, there would be some extra requirements for travelling dogs and owners post-Brexit. These would require an additional visit to the vet and some additional papers to be carried but would not prevent you from enjoying your trip.
    Although this is the same procedure as the current EUPTS, under Part 2 Listed status this document would be valid for only ten days from the date of issue for entry into the European Union, and for four months’ onward travel within the EU. These health certificates would need to be issued prior to each individual trip from the UK to the EU.
    Under Part 2 Listed status, owners travelling with their pet will also be required to report to a Travellers’ Point of Entry (TPE) upon arrival in an EU country.
    Unlisted
    If the UK is given unlisted, third country status, by the EU from 31st October 2019, owners who wish to travel with their dogs from the UK to EU nations will need to discuss their specific preparations and requirements with an Official Veterinarian at least four months prior to their desired travel date.
    Although general guidelines for pet travel in the event of a no deal Brexit are helpful, it is always advisable to discuss your pet and its unique requirements with an Official Veterinarian in good time before 2019 travel in the EU. Official Veterinarians will be armed with the latest updates and protocols as the realities of Brexit unfold, so please do go to straight to them to get a more accurate and up-to-date picture of pet travel as it is relevant to you and your animal(s).

• Thank You
Reactions: Caz
What all this means is that those of us who had the blood test done have wasted our money if we are coming back before the 31st October! Peace of mind was worth it to come out before all the latest furore.

Yes and reading between the lines it also says if we come out with a deal then things will be the same as it is now and just do what we have always done

What all this means is that those of us who had the blood test done have wasted our money if we are coming back before the 31st October! Peace of mind was worth it to come out before all the latest furore.
But we now know our pup is immune to rabies. Those who did not have the test done can't be sure their dog is safe.

Thats the same info they have been showing for months, nobody knows what the situation will be on the final day as we dont seem to have folks on power who want to sort anything. There are only two safe options if you are planning to be away past end of October and thats either have the extra tests done or dont go.

Seems sensible just to have the rabies test done, we know she is immune, then we are covered whatever happens. The certificate, if needed , can be done just before leaving UK. It used to be that you had a blood titre done (when Chloe had passport initially it was) but our son forgot to get the rabies vaccination done so we had to start again :confused:. It only has to be done once as long as vaccination is kept up to date.

It may well be, as has been posted, that with a deal little if anything will change !

Whether it be in the deal (which we keep being told will not change) or in the subsequent "political gubbins"

I am sure Spain in particular will wish for the 90 day rule to be "not enforced" and similar

However the crystal ball has now burnt out through overwork !

Reactions: Rec
Sadly I have cancelled my trip to Spain this year, due to brexit and the lack of advice from my vet, the government site said to contact my vet fore months before travel which I did, and then two months before my travel date they said I should have had dogs blood done fore months before???. Great.

DEFRA tell you to get advice from your vet before travel, but so far, our vets in France, tell us they have had no definitive information from DEFRA
When our dogs originally got their passports, blood tests were done but it was not necessary to attach the blood test results to the passport. We rang our original vet in England that did the tests but they have new computers and have no record of the blood tests, though ensured us it was done.
We are in the UK at the moment and as our dog has a French passport, we will get the blood tests done when we get home to France so, whatever happens, we will still be able travel to the UK.
No plans at present though

The rabies blood test does NOT need doing to get into the UK. If needed, it will be a requirement to enter the EU. So anyone already abroad returning after Brexit is finally decided, will be fine. It is the first trip after exit which will potentially be an issue. We had Chloe's test done while in Portugal four &half months after her original rabies jab, but that was to cover our next trip. UK don't require rabies test to re-enter. We have got the result and the vet wrote it in the passport for us, but she also printed it out and emailed it, which would have covered us.

Sadly I have cancelled my trip to Spain this year, due to brexit and the lack of advice from my vet, the government site said to contact my vet fore months before travel which I did, and then two months before my travel date they said I should have had dogs blood done fore months before???. Great.
We lost our £250 deposit for ferry, as our vet didn't have a clue as to what to advise, I could see there greedy little eyes open up as the thought of getting more money out of me was possible, my dog is always up to date on all his jabs as we travel every year?

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back