Peugeot 2.2150 or or 2ltr 160

Iandsm

I have a choice of two motorhomes both Autosleepers PVC on Peugeot base, one has a 2.2 150 BHP engine the other a 2 L 160 BHP which as I understand it is the latest incarnation. Does anyone have any thoughts or experiences of those engines it seems to me that the 2.2 euro 5 is an older well tried unit that there is a newer 2 ltr introduced in 2016 may be more efficient and give better MPG and Its euro 6 compliant. I would appreciate any views or information.

I had a Elddis 2014 2.2 120bh but I now have a Elddis 2017 2.0 160bh euro 6
But they I think they have gone back to a 2.2 to be honest I think the old 2.2 had more grunt as in tourq
So why did they go back to using a 2.2
I still get 31mph at 55mph

Is the 2.2 a Ford engine? It is in the Ducato. I kinda remember the rest of the engines in the Boxer/Relay lineup are PSG sourced.

The 2.2 diesel codename of "Puma" don't have a good rep among van drivers.

Mervi I would be interested to know why the Puma engine has a poor rep with van drivers as it powers thousands of Transits and Land rovers,can you help me here

My Relay has the 2.2 Ford Puma engine, and so far so good. I decided to get a diagnostic tool, so that I could read codes and cancel them to get it out of limp mode. Mileage is 115750 and as long as good servicing is carried out and worn out parts are replaced promptly it is a decent engine. I've also this past week helped a friend change his glow plugs and clean the egr. He has a ldv maxus powered by a chrysler engine, and because previous owners had been lax in the servicing, the egr and inlet manifold were full of black sludge, what a mess. So with any engine servicing is key to longevity!

We have a 2.2 150bhp loads of power or grunt low down .Great unit..Also check ours is a ford unit in peugoet no cam belt change, chain driven.

Mervi I would be interested to know why the Puma engine has a poor rep with van drivers as it powers thousands of Transits and Land rovers,can you help me here
There are 3 different tunings of the 2.2 puma in Transits, ranging from weak to not bad. I might be wrong, but there are also different tunings in the (larger bodied) Ducato, et al.
The 2.3 transit was much more capable, having driven multiple versions of the engine in same sized Mk7 transits.

Never driven a Land Rover. A quick Google suggests 155bhp Puma engine in those is a separate variant and not the same as the Puma engine in the Fiat/psg vans.

Our 2014 relay has the 110 bhp rating and it's a cracking engine plenty of power it's only a swb van so that probably helps there's plenty of tuners who will remap this engine also if you need more power

I have had several Ford Transit vans with the 2.2 euro 5 engine, my La Strada Pronto has this engine in and it did blow a piston at 77,0000 miles but Ford replaced the engine free of charge due to the fact that it had a full service history with ford garages, one of whom somewhere down the line failed to due an upgrade to the on board computer that meant it was over fueling hence the blown piston.
One of my other vans, and I have had two Transits and now a Custom all with the 2.2 euro 5, did 295,000 miles which I passed to my son and is still going strong.
All my vans I have re mapped by Vantuner down in Ruislip and I cant recommend him highly enough so I can only say from my experience that the Ford 2.2 euro 5 has served me well over the years, prior to this I had a Transit with the 2ltr engine and this had done high milage when got rid off.

I have had several Ford Transit vans with the 2.2 euro 5 engine, my La Strada Pronto has this engine in and it did blow a piston at 77,0000 miles but Ford replaced the engine free of charge due to the fact that it had a full service history with ford garages, one of whom somewhere down the line failed to due an upgrade to the on board computer that meant it was over fueling hence the blown piston.
One of my other vans, and I have had two Transits and now a Custom all with the 2.2 euro 5, did 295,000 miles which I passed to my son and is still going strong.
All my vans I have re mapped by Vantuner down in Ruislip and I cant recommend him highly enough so I can only say from my experience that the Ford 2.2 euro 5 has served me well over the years, prior to this I had a Transit with the 2ltr engine and this had done high milage when got rid off.
That makes for comfortable reading, I just bought an Auto-sleeper with that engine in, and it only has 9.5k on the clock so only a baby as yet.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back