Plastic Film Remover

Arwaitken

Hi Folks,
Wondering if anyone can recommend a product the will remove bubbled and cracked window film.
When i bought my van it looks like the sunroof over the cab still had the window film at delivery.
Obviously I never noticed but with the fantastic summer last year and high temps this has made it cracked and blistered.
I have removed a lot of the loose stuff.
So i'd be grateful if anyone knows of something to make this easier.

Much appreciated.

I don't know exactly what stuff you're battling with and there may well be professional products to do the job... I'm sure the experts will be along soon enough :)
In a wider sense, I find anything creamy or oily is often good for loosening self-adhesive things, especially when you can get under an edge and encourage it along. I know it depends on whatever it's stuck with but maybe try something harmless like baby oil before going into battle with anything harsher? I'm probably talking nonsense though :rolleyes:

Edit to say... if it comes to it, plastic razor blades are good at scraping stuff off without scratching the surface below.

I don't know exactly what stuff you're battling with and there may well be professional products to do the job... I'm sure the experts will be along soon enough :)
In a wider sense, I find anything creamy or oily is often good for loosening self-adhesive things, especially when you can get under an edge and encourage it along. I know it depends on whatever it's stuck with but maybe try something harmless like baby oil before going into battle with anything harsher? I'm probably talking nonsense though :rolleyes:

Edit to say... if it comes to it, plastic razor blades are good at scraping stuff off without scratching the surface below.
I think the idea of a razor blade might work very well. Combine it with some detailing spray to provide a smooth 'glide'?

Personally, I would never ever use anything like nail varnish on polycarbonate as it will almost certainly have some kind of dire effect on it and neither would I ever use anything sharp like a razor blade as their use will almost certainly result in scratches.

I had the very same problem with the Seitz windows I fitted into 'Millie' and found that by gently wafting the surface with the heat from a hair dryer I was able to soften the thin protective plastic film enough that I was then able to start peeling it off the surface, lifting it and by continuing with the gentle heat, slowly but surely I was able to remove it all.

Phil

I believe that WD40 is likely to be a safe product to use on polycarbonates. It has been used to release the dried adhesive of beam benders on polycarbonate headlamps, I also use it to remove the glue from glass etc. Without issue. Patch test first of course.

Davy

Personally, I would never ever use anything like nail varnish on polycarbonate as it will almost certainly have some kind of dire effect on it and neither would I ever use anything sharp like a razor blade as their use will almost certainly result in scratches.

I had the very same problem with the Seitz windows I fitted into 'Millie' and found that by gently wafting the surface with the heat from a hair dryer I was able to soften the thin protective plastic film enough that I was then able to start peeling it off the surface, lifting it and by continuing with the gentle heat, slowly but surely I was able to remove it all.

Phil
I did say plastic razor blades... I've honestly found them really good, on painted surfaces for instance, without any scratching. Agree about the nail polish though!

Reactions: Rec
This works , have done it when in Australia

needs to be a sunny day to be most effective .

Possibly Silky? Its a very light fine abrasive paste for using generally best on plastics. I used to use it regularly on motorbike plastics. Used with a lubricant, WD40 as suggested, Clay Bar detailing lubricant or Auto Glym Fast Glass. Its also good for taking out the light scratching you see on your polycarbonate windows on your van. Just light progressive polishing should do the trick.

I guess they are still trying to remove this as they haven’t come back to let us know how or if they eventually removed it

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)

Back